PDA

View Full Version : Changes from manga to anime.... (no spoilers)

Psyke
Tue, 01-25-2005, 03:19 AM
Hi, I'm a new member but have been reading this board for a long time. One question I've wanted to ask was: Why did Neji's symbol on his forehead change from the one in the manga to the cross in the anime? The only possiblity I thought of was that it was reminiscent of the old WWII Nazi logo, but it seems a little off.

Anyway apart from the obvious changes in terms of violence and filler episodes, I've noticed that there are more and more changes from the manga, especially from the Neji Vs Kidoumaru episode. You must be quite observant to notice them. Though not great, I sure hope the anime uses more art from the manga and that the animation would do the art justice. Having said that, I must say this anime rocks and will contiue to do so for the next few years.

Assertn
Tue, 01-25-2005, 03:25 AM
im not sure how many enthusiastic posts you'll find in your thread, many of them are anti-manga....
perhaps this should be moved to "open discussion"

welcome to GW, btw i/expressions/present.gif

Psyke
Tue, 01-25-2005, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
im not sure how many enthusiastic posts you'll find in your thread, many of them are anti-manga....
perhaps this should be moved to "open discussion"

welcome to GW, btw

Thanks and yup I've just realised there is currently some tension between manga readers and anime watchers.......

Well I DO read the manga (I buy the original ones and download the subbed ones) but I'm totally satisfield with the anime too. So..... can I sit on the fence and delare myself neutral? : )

fremeer
Tue, 01-25-2005, 04:48 AM
the manga had it as a swatstika because the author chose it, the animation team in the anime chose against it because it felt a little to nazi like.

RasenDori
Tue, 01-25-2005, 08:30 AM
how about the move the neji finishes kidoumaru off with. in the anime it was some strange combo that turned kidoumaru into a giant ball.... weird. the mangas finisher was waaaaaaay cooler

PSJ
Tue, 01-25-2005, 09:22 AM
yea and the anime doesnt really make neji as dying as he was in the manga, in the manga he had a big ass hole through his shoulder/chest on the left side. the arrow that hit at that point just cut him a little. and neji's symbol was changed becuase stupid ppl cant see the diffrence between a swastika and a nazisymbol. the nazi's kina ruined the swastika with just turning it the other way and using it for themselves.

wirm
Tue, 01-25-2005, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by: RasenDori
how about the move the neji finishes kidoumaru off with. in the anime it was some strange combo that turned kidoumaru into a giant ball.... weird. the mangas finisher was waaaaaaay cooler

I don't mean to bag on the manga, but it didn't seem all that cool to me.

In fact, someone showed me the 3 frames where Neji gets Kidomaru, and the manga doesn't even show the guy getting hit. It just shows 2 fingers from Neji, and in the next frame, Kidomaru's rolling away.

I' m not 100% sure that this is the right place in the manga, since I don't really read it. But I can't imagine what other part in the story it could be.

Terracosmo
Tue, 01-25-2005, 01:16 PM
In the manga, Zaku's arms blew completely off during Shino VS Zaku. The change to the arms just having holes fucking sucked.

Oh and yes, Neji's finisher was badass in the manga.

RasenDori
Tue, 01-25-2005, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by: wirm

Originally posted by: RasenDori

I don't mean to bag on the manga, but it didn't seem all that cool to me.

In fact, someone showed me the 3 frames where Neji gets Kidomaru, and the manga doesn't even show the guy getting hit. It just shows 2 fingers from Neji, and in the next frame, Kidomaru's rolling away.

I' m not 100% sure that this is the right place in the manga, since I don't really read it. But I can't imagine what other part in the story it could be.

he wasnt rolling, he was spinning a good five feet in the air really fast while neji already landed. he uses the same movie in narutimett hero 2 for the ps2, and it looks badass animated. if you thought it didnt look cool its because you are one of the few people on this earth that cant use closure to connect panels well. i suggest you read Undstanding Comics by Scott McCloud. its an awsome book, and a must for any comic book fan... it describes your problem.

DDBen
Tue, 01-25-2005, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by: Psyke
Hi, I'm a new member but have been reading this board for a long time. One question I've wanted to ask was: Why did Neji's symbol on his forehead change from the one in the manga to the cross in the anime? The only possiblity I thought of was that it was reminiscent of the old WWII Nazi logo, but it seems a little off.

Anyway apart from the obvious changes in terms of violence and filler episodes, I've noticed that there are more and more changes from the manga, especially from the Neji Vs Kidoumaru episode. You must be quite observant to notice them. Though not great, I sure hope the anime uses more art from the manga and that the animation would do the art justice. Having said that, I must say this anime rocks and will contiue to do so for the next few years.

Actually it wasn't a Nazi symble at all it was a buddist symble that means protection that is a mirror image of a swastika. The reason for the anime change is likely that they are making it as US friendly as possible so it can be shown without editing when it is licensed this however I believe is working in the reverse manor they planned it to. By making it US friendly they make it so a company like Funimation can't buy the anime edit it for TV then sell the unedited to the hardcore fans which I'm sure will increase sales overall.

The same sort of Tactic was used for a pokemon card a while back that used the same symble and had to be changed by wizards of the coast before they could release the card in america to avoid people misinterpreting it.

kooshi
Tue, 01-25-2005, 04:23 PM
There were so many things the anime skipped out. Me, I really notice the difference in the comical stuff.

Example: before the meeting of the Genin test for the team, Naruto was thinking about how he was gonna attack Kakashi.
I use kage bunshin, grab him, and attack him from the left. But he can easily kick me away if I do that. In that case, I kick him in the jewels first.
Hahahahha, all this happening with that Kakashi voodoo doll in his room. I can't believe they skipped that part out, along with a lot of stuff.
Another one is Kakashi's chidori against Haku. That just went right through Haku. That was so awesome, but in the anime, ugh, I was quite disappointed.

Jman
Tue, 01-25-2005, 07:23 PM
BLOOD

Psyke
Tue, 01-25-2005, 11:57 PM
One of the more obvious change was how Naruto in the anime "grabs" Kabuto's hand which was holding the kunai during the Sanin fight. It was well, much more dramatic in the manga. Manga readers would definately know what I am talking about and agree with me. Well, they did the same with the Haku fight and it was more or less expected of an anime airing during prime time.

Eurasian
Wed, 01-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by: DDBen

Actually it wasn't a Nazi symble at all it was a buddist symble that means protection that is a mirror image of a swastika. The reason for the anime change is likely that they are making it as US friendly as possible so it can be shown without editing when it is licensed this however I believe is working in the reverse manor they planned it to. By making it US friendly they make it so a company like Funimation can't buy the anime edit it for TV then sell the unedited to the hardcore fans which I'm sure will increase sales overall.

The same sort of Tactic was used for a pokemon card a while back that used the same symble and had to be changed by wizards of the coast before they could release the card in america to avoid people misinterpreting it.

OMG yes! thank you! i was wondering if anybody else knew about that.

A Buddhist Temple (http://www.heathenworld.com/swastika/buddhist_temple.jpg)
Swastika (http://www.looe.cornwall.sch.uk/nazi_symbol.jpg)
they're usually kind of tilted but this one makes it easier to compare
Neji (http://img155.exs.cx/img155/1873/Naruto_ch187_p01.jpg)

BTW, welcome Psyke. It's always nice to see new people here ^^

Psyke
Wed, 01-26-2005, 11:30 AM

Thanks, but can't help feeling bored these days as there isn't much to talk about in the forums......

Kagari
Wed, 01-26-2005, 12:33 PM
lol way to go psyke, you're just encouraging these 'manga readers' to continually bash the anime...I've been listening to it for just over a year now, and looks like 2005 is shaping up to be more of the same!

I can't wait to hear ALL the interesting reasons why they think the mange is cooler...or better....or bloodier....or funnier...what I fail to understand, however, is why they insist on breaking the rules in order to be assholes!

ANIME FORUM. Want me to quote the forum again? Because i will. I have no problems doing it. Ok, here:

Naruto
Use this forum to speak about the Naruto anime series (NOT THE MANGA) NO SPOILERS.

anime series <---

NOT THE MANGA <----

They can't seem to filter it through....must be all the squinting at the tiny, b&w pages that ruins their perception, or something... or maybe since they're used to reading backwards they cant figure out what it is...either way, sit back and observe the flames. "ME'RE ALLWOED (sic) OPINIONS lol noob" Either that, or they will spoil something for us in an attempt to sound cool. WOW! You know what happens! Here's a medal! now stfu!

In fact, about 7 months ago, I heard that chouji got "killed". I had just seen him fight in the prelims, and the series was fresh and new for me. Someone in here also spoiled the fact that Tsunade becomes the fifth hokage....BEFORE THE THIRD WAS EVEN DEAD. The manga readers do us NO good by being allowed to refer, or speak about, their little comic books in OUR forum. You ruin our shit along with your own.

edit: im thinking of moving this thread, too. doesnt belong here.

JusDaMan
Wed, 01-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by: Eurasian

There have been a rumor (even though it dont matter anymore he's dead) that hitler died cause it was an act of god. for making something pure in to something ugly.
btw... did prince harry wear the swastika or the nazi symbol?

Psyke
Wed, 01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Well, I did not include any spoilers in any of my posts here, so I think I didn't break any rules. Sorry if I added fuel to the fire caused by angry manga readers bashing the anime. Like I said previously, I'm a fan of Naruto and enjoy both the manga and the anime. Guess I'm the 'thankful' type.

Anyway, I won't make any more comparisons with the anime and the manga so as to reduce the 'shit stirring' that happened.....

Last thoughts: Sure the manga vs anime fights can go on forever, but remember everyone has what they like and enjoy to see, so let's just leave it that way and look forward to more good stuff from Naruto.

PSJ
Wed, 01-26-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by: JusDaMan

There have been a rumor (even though it dont matter anymore he's dead) that hitler died cause it was an act of god. for making something pure in to something ugly.

prince harry was dressed as a nazi he had a nazi desert unifrom and all so im pretty sure it was the nazi symbol. about naruto "grabbing" kabutos hand he made kabuto stab ihm through his hand before he grabbed kabutos hand in the manga waaaaaaaaay cooler.

Deblas
Wed, 01-26-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya

Originally posted by: JusDaMan

prince harry was dressed as a nazi he had a nazi desert unifrom and all so im pretty sure it was the nazi symbol. about naruto "grabbing" kabutos hand he made kabuto stab ihm through his hand before he grabbed kabutos hand in the manga waaaaaaaaay cooler.

haha. They said that prince charles as punishment he gonna send prince henry to someplace( I dont know where) as punishment for dressing up like that

PSJ
Wed, 01-26-2005, 06:17 PM
yea he's gonna send him to a concentration camp in poland, i forgot the name which really is a shame cause tis the most known one.

Death BOO Z
Wed, 01-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Auswitch & Birgenowen? it's the most famous one, the 60 years anniversery for it's end was held there today...
it wasn't just a concentration camp, if it's auswitch you're talking about then it's a death camp, with gas chambers and cramtorioums and everything else involved...
then again, it might be varsaw/warsaw, not sure on the spelling, it's the most important concentration camp...
anyway, i've heard that he has to watch "Shindler's List", go figure.

and about the 'god killed him becuase he took the swatizka and changed it" rumor - that's the best reason to be an atheist i heard this year... hitler opened a war of over 30 million deads, about 10 Miliion of them is organized death camps, and got kills him cuase he changed the symbol a bit?

and to the topic itself, I like the manga better, it has less bullshit and more guts, but it might only be because i've read the manga first and then the anime didn't have the suprise factor to leave an impact on me, who knows, who cares?

basey44
Wed, 01-26-2005, 09:14 PM
wasnt it just a fancy dress party thing, i didnt think itd be that important, but then he is always in the media and he has a respected position, so i guess itd be the same as the president of a country wearing one, people wouldnt like it

yea i like the manga better for the same reason as BOO Z, but i do like the anime cos of the music, and the fights are (usually) well animated, the anime would be tops for me if the left some of the gore in.

GhostKaGe
Wed, 01-26-2005, 09:30 PM
The word is derived from the Sanskrit "svastika" and means "good to be". In Indo-European culture it was a mark made on people or objects to give them good luck.

It has been around for thousands of years, particularly as a Hindu symbol in the holy texts, to mean luck, Brahma or samsara (rebirth). It can be clockwise or anti-clockwise and the way it points in all four directions suggests stability. Sometimes it features a dot between each arm.

Nowadays it is commonly seen in ancient Hindu architecture, and in the ruins of the ancient city of Troy. It has also been used in Buddhism and Jainism, plus other Asian, European and Native American cultures

The British author Rudyard Kipling, who was strongly influenced by Indian culture, had a swastika on the dust jackets of all his books until the rise of Nazism made this inappropriate. It was also a symbol used by the scouts in Britain, although it was taken off Robert Baden-Powell's 1922 Medal of Merit after complaints in the 1930s

But it is its association with the National Socialist German Workers Party in the 1930s which is etched on the minds of Western society. Before Hitler, it was used in about 1870 by the Austrian Pan-German followers of Schoenerer, an Austrian anti-Semitic politician.

Its Nazi use was linked to the belief in the Aryan cultural descent of the German people. They considered the early Aryans of India to be the prototypical white invaders and hijacked the sign as a symbol of the Aryan master race.

just a little history for you
mostly taken from bbc research

Elessar
Thu, 01-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by: Death BOO Z
Auswitch & Birgenowen? it's the most famous one, the 60 years anniversery for it's end was held there today...
it wasn't just a concentration camp, if it's auswitch you're talking about then it's a death camp, with gas chambers and cramtorioums and everything else involved...
then again, it might be varsaw/warsaw, not sure on the spelling, it's the most important concentration camp...
anyway, i've heard that he has to watch "Shindler's List", go figure.

Auschwitz-Birkenau was a hybrid. It started as a Konzentrationslager (concentration camp) and was later, after the first Vernichtungslager (death camps) were built, "upgraded" (i know, bad choice of words, but I can't find a more suitable) to a death camp. It is counted as a death camp nowadays, but commonly Konzentrationslager is used as a generic term, including Vernichtungslager (death camps), Arbeitslager (work camps), Sammellager (gathering camps?), Durchgangslager etc.
It is, along with Buchenwald, Sachsenhausen, Eberswalde, Dachau and Bergen-Belsen one of the best known, as it not only had the highest body count, but also "medical" experiments.

The other death camps were Belzec, Chelmno, Majdanek, Maly Trostinez, Sobibor and Treblinka btw. Although these were the ones that were built als death camps right from the beginning and have, in the case of Treblinka for example, a body count that isn't that much below Auschwitz-Birkenau, most of them are little heard of.

I have no idea how Warschau (warsaw?) is the most important one. Warschau had a huge ghetto district that is well known, but its KZ is rather unknown.

mage
Tue, 05-24-2005, 12:04 PM
the main difference I see is the extremely crappy art in the anime that doesn't exist in the manga.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 05-25-2005, 11:19 PM
the main difference I see are the incredible moving pictures with colors that don't exist at all in the manga.

Seriously though, I'm pretty much with Kagari. I got no problem with people who like the manga more, and like to read it. It's their own choice, as long as they don't keep opening their fucking mouths and TELL me shit before it happens in MY choice of medium.

And yeah, the worst ones are the manga readers that pretend not to be manga readers and then "guess" whats going to happen next in the discussion threads, when really they are just telling people what they read because they want to look smart.