PDA

View Full Version : How would one go about making their own fansubbing group?

ArcadianLegend
Mon, 01-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Alright, so here's the deal. I'm looking to start a new fansubbing group, but I have no idea where to start. I'd like some help in this regard. First, is anyone here who knows how to time, encode, or translate willing to help out? I'm a newbie when it comes to fansubbing myself, so the most I could do is provide raws and proofread translations. However, I am really serious about starting my own group, so again, I ask for your help on where to start.

If you are interested in what anime I plan to sub, it's called One Piece. I know it's licensed in America, but only the first 20 episodes or so are, and I plan to start subbing from the episode 215-216 special. Why? Because another group called Kaizoku-Fansubs is already subbing the series, albeit a tad bit slowly. So my idea was to start with the current episodes, for those who have read the manga or are just interested in watching them.

Alright, so, that's what I have to say.. I hope I sounded alright. So, ideas..?

Souryusen
Mon, 01-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by: ArcadianLegend
So, ideas..?

None.

No animated avatars, btw.

ArcadianLegend
Mon, 01-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Oh, sorry about the avatar. Should have read the rules more carefully.

stos289
Mon, 01-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Well, I have a few pieces of advice for you:

1. If you can, contact Joker-Kun. He founded a subbing group known as Revolutionary Request Fansubs (http://www.revquest-fansubs.com/) (also known as RevQuest). He should be able to give you a few pointers on how to do this (recruiting people, creating a website, etc.). You can contact him by pm'ing him on the Revquest Forums, or going to the irc channel: revquest@irc.rizon.net. If you would like, tell him I (stos289) sent you since I QC for his group.

2. Coincidentally, RevQuest is actually fansubbing One Piece. They already have release the 5th One Piece Movie (+ Baseball Special) and they are starting to sub the Sky Pea Arc (starting from episode 144). So I really wouldn't suggest starting a new group just to sub One Piece, since K-F and RQ are subbing it.

3. Instead of creating a new group, why not try out to join Revquest? We could always use more QC people and we are currently looking for Translators, experienced Timers, Stylers, and Typesetters (if you can meet the requirements). Just go to the Revquest channel that I mentioned before, and there should be directions on how to recruit (go to #RQ-Recruit) or pm Joker-kun on the Revquest forums.

Hope I could help.

ArcadianLegend
Mon, 01-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Alright, thanks. It's great to hear someone is subbing the Skypiea arc! Anyway, I'll go there and ask around. Thanks again!