PDA

View Full Version : One Piece Summary

LobsterMagnet
Sun, 01-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Hello, I've been very curious about one piece and I've been wondering if any of you guys can fill me in. I understand the basic premise about this kid who wants to find the one piece and become the pirate king but what else is there to the series? It's supposedly been running forever but I just don't see how the story can keep on going. Why didn't he get the one piece yet? The only exposure I've had to one piece is the god awful american version (complete with rap intro). So can one or all of you give me a better overview of the series. Is it just a light hearted kids series or is there something else that makes it more applealing. Is it appealing just because it's an anime pirate show, and there arn't to many of those?

Please if you find it in your hearts enlighten me about the series, so I can evaluate whether or not it is worth my time or not.

Board of Command
Sun, 01-09-2005, 02:10 AM
It takes forever because it takes him a long time to beat each enemy. The later enemies take outrageous amounts of episodes (one current subbed enemy-arc has been running for about 60 eps!!! that's practically half the subbed series!!!!!!!!) There are six more enemies like this, you do the math.

It's popular because it takes place in a very interesting world. You meet a lot of strange/cool characters and each is very unique. The main character, Luffy, is basically a pirate version of Naruto. He acts like an idiot most of the time, but gets serious in fights and has an amazing will to fight to the death and win. Each crew member has different goals, but despite that they all stick together because they depend on each other's unique abilities. I guess it's simply the setting that makes One Piece fun to watch.

DeluxSkillz
Sun, 01-09-2005, 07:56 AM
yeah and one peice is probably one of the most hilarious shows there is, the action is good and the characters are lovable what more do you want? oh and the story kicks ass

Raven
Tue, 01-11-2005, 05:45 AM
I like the characters way better than those found in Naruto. Generally it's a much better series.

Assertn
Thu, 01-13-2005, 02:32 PM
true....
but the zoro vs sword guy,
sanji vs taijutsu guy,
and luffy vs the leader

kinda gets a little old after about 7 times

Souryusen
Thu, 01-13-2005, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
true....
but the zoro vs sword guy,
sanji vs taijutsu guy,
and luffy vs the leader

kinda gets a little old after about 7 times

They mixed it up some in the 3rd movie (crap, btw). This time Zoro fought the taijutsu and Sanji fought the swordsman. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Death BOO Z
Thu, 01-13-2005, 06:46 PM
considering the charecters, one piece has a more well-rounded cast... most of the charecters have more than one charictaristic, Luffy, while he is sometimes a jerk like naruto, has a lot more thinking abilities and knows how to fight without doing the same thing over and over. and unlike naruto, the guys in OP are actually able to make fun of themselves once in a while, and they aren't afraid of insulting each other once a while, which all makes for a better interaction between them.

of course, there's the whole 7 volume long fights, but i'm trying to forget those, it was horrible.

miaka
Fri, 01-14-2005, 06:35 PM
it's pretty good.. it has action, comedy.. and villains get stronger as they go on their advanture to find one piece.. and etc..

only complaint i have with it is.. recently its pace have been quite slow.. but other than that.. it's definitely a series that you can't miss

Assertn
Fri, 01-14-2005, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by: Death BOO Z
considering the charecters, one piece has a more well-rounded cast... most of the charecters have more than one charictaristic, Luffy, while he is sometimes a jerk like naruto, has a lot more thinking abilities and knows how to fight without doing the same thing over and over.

that's kind of a groundless statement. If you ask me, i think naruto has come up with alot more clever things than luffy ever did. The smartest thing ive ever seen luffy do was figure out crocodile's weakness, and thats entirely because he was lucky enough to have that little water barrel thing with him the 1st time they fought.

and btw, using a gomu gomu no pistol instead of a gomu gomu no bazooka still constitutes "doing the same thing"

LobsterMagnet
Sun, 01-16-2005, 02:48 AM
Intersting. I guess it's the setting that really makes the series work so well. Not many other animes with pirates right? I sure as hell can't think of any. Long fights would explain why they haven't found the one piece but I still don't see how a single fight or two can last 60 plus episodes. Not even dragon ball z was that bad.

Is it just me or is all media related towards pirates tend to be very light hearted. I'd love to see a show or a movie where pirates arn't romanticized and are portrayed as their true raping, pillaging, and looting selfs. Something like an HBO original series or maybe even better an ultra-violent anime like berzerk.

Also I'm just curious are there any big changes from manga to anime such as more violence and has there been any noteworthy changes to the American version aside from awful voice acting and rap song intro.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-16-2005, 08:52 AM
Well, I've never read the manga, but I can tell you that the japanese anime is rediculously more violent than the american version.

There is blood...EVERYWHERE.

And its awsome.

And yes, they do manage to make fights seem to take even longer than in Dragonball Z. But the big difference is that, at any given point when fighting is taking place, there is usually 3-5 fights going on all at the same time. Unlike DBZ where is always all the characters against one badguy. In One Piece, the characters have that tendency to pair off against the opponents they are best suited to.

As far as the whole romantisizing thing goes, keep in mind that One Piece is primarily Pirates Vs. Other Pirates. And while the main characters are good guys, most of the villians are real bastards. Giving you that dark side of the pirate condition.

Assertn
Sun, 01-16-2005, 04:41 PM
also, luffy has a ridiculous character shield which makes him withstand way more damage than any human should.....rubber or no rubber

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 01-17-2005, 02:35 AM
Wait where the hell is the blood. I've seen bits and pieces of the American version and although it has probably been edited it didn't seem like a series that would feature buckets of blood. I also remember reading a trade magazine about one piece being a family show which japanese familes would gather and watch together on sunday nights. Then again I could be wrong about that to.

Oh and another slightly unrelated question I know that One Piece and naruto are published in the shonen jump manga magazine but where is the full meteal alchemist manga published. It's something that i've been curious about for some time.

DeluxSkillz
Wed, 01-19-2005, 08:57 AM
well there is a lot more blood in the japanese version, and the manga is even more violent with less filler but one piece filler is good since luffy us one of the most hilarious characters to date