PDA

View Full Version : This is nuts...

SK
Mon, 12-20-2004, 09:33 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4104731.stm

Souryusen
Mon, 12-20-2004, 11:18 AM
If he can find a way to profit from this bullshit then more power to him.

chambers
Mon, 12-20-2004, 11:27 AM
yeah hes probly gonna make money, its insane but still.....

GLS
Mon, 12-20-2004, 12:44 PM
Hats off to the guy that sold it. Thats one hell of a pitch.
"Would you like to buy this land that you can only see, not touch?"

This has been a big deal in MMORPGs, selling virtual stuff like weapons and whatnot.

Xollence
Mon, 12-20-2004, 02:34 PM
Well I know this guy on Ultima Online that makes 5 grand a month just selling large amounts of gold and items.

GuardianShado
Mon, 12-20-2004, 03:28 PM
a buncha my frends used to sell ther diablo 2 items for like $50 each. by the time they sold everything they had about $2000 in their bank accounts. weird how ppl actually pay real money for game stuff O_o

Board of Command
Mon, 12-20-2004, 04:36 PM
It's not weird, people that buy this stuff are retarded addicts that think life revolves around digital data.

chambers
Mon, 12-20-2004, 05:00 PM
or perhpas they enjoy what they are paying for. i mean im not saying i would spend money on it. but we spend money on games, and dvds and music. we dont actually turn into spys or heroes. so they are just doing the same thing on a larger level.

basey44
Mon, 12-20-2004, 09:04 PM
hahahahhahahaha, itd be cool if u could turn a profit from mining in a game though

ShinobiNeko
Mon, 12-20-2004, 09:49 PM
That's a waste of money, but then again, if you read this (http://animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5858) then you'd see that someone spend around $23,000 for a yugioh card -_-'

NM
Mon, 12-20-2004, 10:20 PM
$23,000 for just a card?!? Damn...The people bidding on the card must be die-hard fans of the game to spend THAT much money for just a piece of paper...

Board of Command
Mon, 12-20-2004, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by: chambers
or perhpas they enjoy what they are paying for. i mean im not saying i would spend money on it. but we spend money on games, and dvds and music. we dont actually turn into spys or heroes. so they are just doing the same thing on a larger level.
But those are material items. A piece of land in an online game is not.

GuardianShado
Tue, 12-21-2004, 01:57 PM
simple answer to everything: brainwash XP

kooshi
Tue, 12-21-2004, 02:46 PM
Heh, that is so stupid. It's just plain ridiculous, IMO. It just goes to show you how greedy some people can be.

Board of Command
Tue, 12-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Not greedy, obsessed. I'm sure the guy that sold the land didn't have to negotiate much.

Knives122
Tue, 12-21-2004, 09:03 PM
why wyould you even buy that, wouldnt it be more beneficial(in some way or another) to buy a car with that money, unless that guy has no life

@ Shinobi neko: yeah I heard about that, once again could of bought a car with that money, instead of a piece of paper

Tsukiyomi
Tue, 12-21-2004, 10:07 PM
Wow, purchasing that for 26k I think it was. I could of done so many things with that much money..... so many things.i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

kooshi
Tue, 12-21-2004, 10:43 PM
26k..... talk about having no worries about tuition fees, haha.

Samanosuke
Tue, 12-21-2004, 11:12 PM
i heard about this on another forum, i'll break it down how it was broken down there.
the guy apparently plans to make money off it, like real estate in real life.
he bought in bulk, hes gonna spend some time developing or something, then sell or rent out plots.
hes also planning on charging people to even be on his little piece of property, something about hunting and mining or wutever.

it was a good move if he can pull it off.

GuardianShado
Tue, 12-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by: gaaralovessand
Hats off to the guy that sold it. Thats one hell of a pitch.

i hear that XP

Board of Command
Wed, 12-22-2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by: Samanosuke
it was a good move if he can pull it off.
The thing is, when you spend that much money you better be prepared for the worst scenario. Wonder if he'll kill himself if he screwed himself over.

Xollence
Wed, 12-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Hehe well 26,500 isnt that much to kill yourself over.

SK
Wed, 12-22-2004, 02:03 PM
rofl guess we know xollence is rich.
i think if he has many like that to invest it would make more since to invest it in something real, like real property, not a friggin island in a video game.

GuardianShado
Wed, 12-22-2004, 02:50 PM
dude, 26,500 is enuogh to buy a frickin car! wut he spent his money on isnt even real!! XD haha

chambers
Wed, 12-22-2004, 02:53 PM
a car? wtf? its enough to buy a fucking expensive car. its easy enough to kill yourself over, i mean the guy probly got the money from a loan.

Samanosuke
Wed, 12-22-2004, 03:08 PM
its seriously not that much, it doesnt even take a year to make that for the average person in america.
but anyway, its a pretty solid investment, since people are retarded and like to spend money on dumb things like that.

SK
Wed, 12-22-2004, 04:39 PM
its not a solid investment at all. if all the servers went down and the game has to be restarted what the hell would the fucker do then? or if someone hacked into the server or into his computer and stole his game account. 26500 is a lot of money, if you dont think so then you must not have bills to pay or youre an idiot, yes its what someone will make in a year, but with all the bills you have to pay its not like you actually see that kind of money.

chambers
Wed, 12-22-2004, 06:28 PM
dude wtf? you lose a years pay and your almost literally down and fucking out. most poeple dont spend a years pay on there car.

GuardianShado
Wed, 12-22-2004, 10:03 PM
considering most ppl who play MMORPGS are in still in skool, 26 grand is a hell of a lot of money. especially if ur in college and ur not majoring in say... business? i dont see how that much money can be nothing. sure americans tend to make that much in a year, but thats for ppl with stable jobs. if the guy's still in college and wut SK says actually happens, he might jus kill himself. or break the bad news to his parents.
"mom, dad, i kinda spent my tuition fee on a computer generated piece of property and..."

Xollence
Wed, 12-22-2004, 10:33 PM
I didn't say it wasn't a lot of money, just not enough that the guy would go and kill himself over. I doubt he got a loan to buy that, most likely he had the money available to invest. I don't think you can even get a loan for that.

Hehe chambers you'd be surprised. All these people down here spend every single paycheck to hook their car up, I don't see the point since they don't even race.

Samanosuke
Thu, 12-23-2004, 02:06 AM
dude, stfu chambers you dont know shit - your 14.
i dont know how you morons think somebody who just spent 26 grand is gonna lose his shit by a server crash or hacker.
thats idiotic
the whole fuckin game would have to go down for good.

go kill yourselfs now, because at some point in your lifes your gonna be out 26 grand.

Assertn
Thu, 12-23-2004, 02:57 AM
26 grand would be a year's salary if you work at mcdonald's, maybe.

but i dont get why none of you would consider the fact that the guy could be at least 30 years old.
there are people in the world who can afford to invest 26 grand into something without tangible form

basey44
Thu, 12-23-2004, 03:52 AM
yea, like those guys who have to wear suits to work, u know the people im talking about i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

chambers
Thu, 12-23-2004, 07:31 AM
samonosuke im 21 you stupid piece of shit get it right. i never said he coudl have lost the money form a server crash or anythign like that. i said if they guy loses 26k in all likley hood hell be out on his fucking ass. thats UNDER the average wage of an american (37k) but so what, are you so fuckign dense you cant grasp the idea that people have bills? i know your only 12 or some shit and live in your mothers basement and obvioulsy dont have any bills to pay or anythign like that, so you more than likley dont understand that idea that in 99% of peoples lives almost there entire paycheck will go on bills and food. people dont just have 26k lying around. depending on wher ehe lived 26k coudl be as much as 1/10 of the price of this guys house (assuming he even has a house) if thats the case and he got a loan to pay for this (yes its plausable, banks will give you a loan for almost anything these days if you can show a proper business plan on how your going to put this money to work for you) then hes FUCKED. its going to take him the best part of a year to recoup this money, in wich time what? the bill collectors are going to go away?

your seriously fucking dense if you believe that.

EDIT: yeah as this game seems to be based a lot on the idea of real money then there must be some sort of protection in place to avoid such things. ive never heard of this game before tho so who knows.....

SK
Thu, 12-23-2004, 07:33 AM
yeah im guessing the guy must be rich, which is why im wondering why he wouldent invest into something real instead. ive known people in other mmorpg's who got their accounts stolen then sold on ebay and they couldent get it back, tell me why that cant happen to this guy?

Assertn
Thu, 12-23-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by: chambers
you more than likley dont understand that idea that in 99% of peoples lives almost there entire paycheck will go on bills and food.

that would mean that 1 out of every 100 people DO end up with more money than they spend.
and it only takes a ratio of 1 out of every 1000000 to find some guy who is willing to buy a plot of land in an MMORPG

Xollence
Fri, 12-24-2004, 03:01 AM
Chambers obviously a lot of people DO have 26 grand lying around. I play a lot of MMORPG games and I've never experienced a server going down and erasing all of the data. MMORPGs usually back up their shit every night.

Samanosuke
Fri, 12-24-2004, 04:05 AM
jesus christ chambers use periods every now an then.

but anyway, if 99% of your money goes to bills all the time, then you dont know how to spend your money. 26 grand isnt much. youre a douche bag and retarded. and i still think your 14.

chambers
Fri, 12-24-2004, 11:23 AM
you can think what you want, but because your so fucking dense it doesnt matter either way. 26 grand is a lot of money, if it wasnt youd see every person driving round in BMW's and porches. but they dont.

oh and i used plenty of periods, but maybe your the retarded one who cant see them? if you meant paragraphis fair enough (although my post didnt need paragraphs apart from where i already put them). if your moaning because i used commas well then maybe you shoudl learn what a comma is and that when and where i used them they are OK. you really need to get off your high horse.

SK
Fri, 12-24-2004, 12:46 PM
no need for flames friends. you are wrong, 26,0000 dollars is a lot of money, if someone makes 60,000 a year, its not as if they will actually see 60,000 dollars. lets say you make 5000 a month at 1250 a week, 400 for groceries, 500 for car payment, 200 for insurance, 100 for gas, 900 for rent, 100 for utilities, 50 for internet, 50 for cable, 200 for a credit card, plus taxes and any other loans or other bills you might have. and 60,000 a year is good money. (i live in boston, usa, if you live anywhere else or in europe its different for you)

Board of Command
Fri, 12-24-2004, 04:22 PM
Maybe it's Bill Gates trying something new. I did the math. If Bill Gates spent $1 every second then it would take over 1400 years to spend it all. i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif that's crazy!

GuardianShado
Fri, 12-24-2004, 05:32 PM
branching off from wut SK sed...
yes, 26G is sumthin u'd hardly ever see in california, ESPECIALLY in the city of los angeles. some of u may say "well thers a lot of rich ppl in LA, so it doesnt matter." sure there may be a lot IN COMPARISON with the rest of the US, but CA also has one of the highest populations living under poverty level. 5000 a month is a pretty good amount in the city i live in, which actually happens to be pretty well-to-do, so let's take a look at a higher amount.
most ppl in the middle class of CA make about 96,000 a year. thats about 8,000 a month. now considering we hav one of the highest property tax prices in the US...
monthly pay:
3,000 - rent
1,000 - water
800 - electricity
750 - car (im talkin toyota camry here...)
500 - gas
500 - health care
400 - insurance
50/80 - dsl/cable
150 - utilities
500 - groceries

leaves u with about $400 to use on ur other bills. and u DO realize that the country's social security system is bankrupt, right? so we're basically paying for the retired citizens of america and we're not gettin the money back cuz it all went to war and whatnot. all u hav to do now is compare the expenses of California with SK's in Massachusetts.

Samanosuke
Fri, 12-24-2004, 10:28 PM
i make 60 grand a year for free.
bmw's and porsche doesnt cost 26 grand, maybe in UK money, but not in american.

"if your moaning because i used commas well then maybe you shoudl learn what a comma is and that when and where i used them they are OK."

^thats what im talking about, lookit the size of this sentence.
if you talk like that IRL you got lungs of steel.

lets take a look at your peoples "realistic" bills
400 dollars for food? wtf? you eating steak every day?
900 rent? maybe if your supporting a family.
utilities - see below.
50 for internet - reasonable i guess
50 for cable - also reasonable
credit card - dont use it, credit cards is a way for dumb people to spend money they dont have.

3000 for rent is outrageous and your a dumb ass for paying it. half of that is still ridiculous.
the only thing on there that looks realistic for most of the USA is electricity/dsl/insurance.

i hate to tell you this but electricity is a utility, so is water and gas.
there is no bill just called "utilities".

26 grand is not a lot of money, a years pay is not a lot of money. if you happen to have 26 grand to spend, then you obviously got it.

look people, i'll break down my monthly bills. i know how to spend my money so consider this a template.

rent - 675, im not a idiot, i look around and compare prices.
phone/sattelite/dsl - varies between 100 and 150 for typical corporate fuckery charges.
water - pay it every six months, and when i do pay it its like 400 bucks.
electricity is like 800 but thats because i use a lot of it, gas is also part of this bill.
health care - dont need it
insurance, mine would be like 200 a month, and thats with a SR22, so you people are gettin jacked
car - own 2, buy them - dont pay for them.

look people heres the key to knowing what you have money for and what you dont, if it will take you more than 2 years to pay it off, you cant afford it.
also, dont just spend money at the first place you go, thats idiotic - shop around.
i see a couple people gettin hosed on rent and insurance right here, 500 dollars a month for gas? jesus christ.
my problem is i tend to pay lawyers and courts most of my money.

Mut
Fri, 12-24-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by: GuardianShado
most ppl in the middle class of CA make about 96,000 a year. thats about 8,000 a month. now considering we hav one of the highest property tax prices in the US...
monthly pay:
3,000 - rent
1,000 - water
800 - electricity
750 - car (im talkin toyota camry here...)
500 - gas
500 - health care
400 - insurance
50/80 - dsl/cable
150 - utilities
500 - groceries
is this YOUR monthly costs? 3000 a month of rent is insane. do you support a family or something and in a situation where you need a big house?. and you must get in a lot of accidents if your insurance rate is at $400. sheesh. also, 500 for groceries? man, i could spend under $100 for groceries a month and i'd be fine. some of these numbers are just too insane. only explanation is that you're either a dad or just horrible at money management.

Xollence
Fri, 12-24-2004, 11:08 PM
WTF 750 a month for a toyota camry? My friend has a brand new mercedes and he only pays 650 a month. And yes I agree who the hell pays 3000 for rent? Abd you spend 125 bucks a week on gas? Where the hell do you go? My dad owns a H2 which eats up a gallon per 6 miles and it still doesn't come anywhere near that amount.

Board of Command
Sat, 12-25-2004, 12:09 AM
3000 for rent is triple the mortgage for where I live. I'd be much happier paying 1000 for mortgage than 3000 for rent.

Lefty
Sat, 12-25-2004, 05:19 AM
I have to agree where the fuck do live that rent costs that much. I live in bellevue washington and the worst you pay here for rent is like 700-800 a month for a one bed room apartment. The most expensive is 1300-2000 for two three bed room house that more than one person lives in.

Goingin
Sat, 12-25-2004, 06:48 AM
Man, this really is nuts i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

22 yrs old and spending that much money on some digital data that's not even under his physical custody
So that proves he hasn't got a social life, which he surely won't have after this buy cause he surely needs to watch his land every day i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Assertn
Sat, 12-25-2004, 09:06 AM
the problem people seem to be having.....is that they expect the average joe to be spending 26 grand on virtual property. Yet they fail to realize, that there are probably way more people in the MMO community that can AFFORD to spend 26 grand than the number of people who actually SPENDS 26 grand.

in other words, it only takes one rich guy to end up with a news article like that. I'd bet anyone 26 grand that the person who actually made the purchase does NOT live in an apartment.

and guardianshado, 500 for groceries? seriously about 100 was more than enough for all my food expenses per month. And i eat out alot.

SK
Sat, 12-25-2004, 09:13 AM
i know where i live its very expensive living costs, boston and new york have very high rents, i actually went a little low, in the boston area you are lucky to find rent for 900, average is around 1200 a month and im talking studio apart, 3 bedroom houses go for about 350,000 in boston area. if you spend like 100 bucks a week on groceries then 400 isnt an outrageous number. well i guess we're kinda off-topic now...

Assertn
Sat, 12-25-2004, 10:43 AM
no SK, 100 a month, not a week
how the hell does someone even spend 100 a week on food anyway?

chambers
Sat, 12-25-2004, 11:00 AM
i live in england so i have a high living cost as standard, and thas high as FUCK even for fucking canary wharf.
i suppose when you work it out 26k is only 13k which isnt as much as i originally thought, especially with americans rate of apy being a LOT higher than what we get over here. its not as bad, but its still alot of money.

BTW how much would a porche boxter cost over in the US???

SK
Sat, 12-25-2004, 11:42 AM
$45,000 base price.
$100 a month on groceries wont buy shit where i live, a pound of some cheap ham is $6.00...

Board of Command
Sat, 12-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Damn, America's got some high rental costs.

Assertn
Sat, 12-25-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
$45,000 base price.
$100 a month on groceries wont buy shit where i live, a pound of some cheap ham is $6.00...

and how many pounds of ham does it take to feed a person for a month?
actually now that i think about it....its probably more like $100-$150 a month on groceries

BOC: america also probably has a higher minimum wage, so it balances out

Xceleration
Sat, 01-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
$45,000 base price.

and how many pounds of ham does it take to feed a person for a month?
actually now that i think about it....its probably more like $100-$150 a month on groceries

BOC: america also probably has a higher minimum wage, so it balances out

400 a month isn't actually that ridiculous, although you could try to spend your money more wisely and eat cheaply. Think about it, if you go to a fancy restaurant, you could just spend $15 bucks on food just like that, and what if you're also paying for some friends, you're likely to spend over $50 on just one meal. If you go out often with friends, you could easily spend $400 on food. People also spend quite alot of money on entertainment, I watch a movie almost every week, and that's pretty much $15 CAD gone right there, making $60 a month. An average person wouldn't spend 26 grand worth of savings on a virtual piece of land. Is it even smart? No. If you had 26 grand, wouldn't it be smarter to spend it on something else? Heck, think about how much things you can get for 26 grand. If I had 26 grand, I'd much rather buy a car, or at least something useful..

conquistaDan
Tue, 12-19-2006, 02:51 PM
Damn, America's got some high rental costs.

Yeah it does.

My dad and uncle are in real estate and it's pretty crazy how they make a decent buck from renting out.

masamuneehs
Tue, 12-19-2006, 06:00 PM
I think almost none of this has to do with "where you live" and more about "how you live". Granted, some costs of living are higher in certain places, but that's less important than how people spend their money.

Take the $100 a week for food thing. Some people certainly can spend that much, others much much less. Alot of that has to do with personal taste and dining locations. I spend well over $100 a week on my personal food, but that's also because I'm an alcoholic and my favorite green veggie is also quite costly...

I have noticed that the price of foodstuffs seems to be going up slowly, where now it's almost just as expensive to cook your own food instead of dining at a cheap place or ordering take-out. (that's $5 a meal). Obvious trade-offs are the nutritional values of homemade food, which can be very high, or cheap take-out, which is usually absolutely horrible for you.

I eat much much more than I need to survive. My friend eats maybe once a day, drinks three glasses of water, and that's it. He describes the difference between himself and most people's eating as this. "You eat for the taste, I eat for the sustinence."

What's nuts is how people make the problems worse. They keep the lights on all day, computers on all night, AC/heat blasting instead of dressing appropriately, wasting food, water running, etc etc. Why do we do this? Cuz it's the easy way out, and, as I'm sure is true of almost everyone here, our society is bunch of pampered bitches who always take the easy way out when possible.

edit: wait, wtf? This thread is ancient! I saw the dates at the top as December and just assumed it was this year... This is from before I joined... my god Conquista that's some necroposting to die for... ...but i did get suckered right in...

Assertn
Tue, 12-19-2006, 06:07 PM
lolz I used to spend $100-150 a month on food

Psyke
Tue, 12-19-2006, 08:41 PM
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8969/costcf3.jpg

Full list can be found here (http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm)

Yay I made top 20! Does that give me bragging rights? :D

ChaosK
Tue, 12-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Top 10...sigh, crazy New Yorkers.

(Horrah for necroposting!)

SK
Wed, 12-20-2006, 10:15 PM
http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/8969/costcf3.jpg

Full list can be found here (http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm)

Yay I made top 20! Does that give me bragging rights? :D

That's wrong, Boston is the most expensive city to live in in the United States...

How much do you spend now Assertn?

Assertn
Thu, 12-21-2006, 11:58 AM
Yikes, LA jumped from 44 to 29? xd

wtf SK.....boston?
I probably spend more like 300 a month on food now