PDA

View Full Version : orihime (sp)

chambers
Thu, 12-16-2004, 06:13 PM
is this a typical name for a japanese girl? or does it have some meaning? can anyone shed some light on that?

Munsu
Thu, 12-16-2004, 07:16 PM
hime means princess... now does Ori mean something... i dont know...

Death BOO Z
Mon, 12-20-2004, 03:35 PM
there was a girl in psychic academy who was called orina, so i guess it's not too rare name...

EDIT: well, screw that half assed explenation, i've got some semi-real information from a semi realiable source.

according to Hanaotoko volume 2 chapter 18 page 082 translated by manga screener, in the 7th of july there's a festival in japan that celebrates the meeting of Orihime (vega) and Hikoboshi (altair), and while the festival isn't relevant to the topic, it's now clear that orihime is an acceptable name, and is probably somehow related to stars, and had i have any real knowledge about astronomy in english, i would've been able to confirm it.

oh, and by the way, can someone check up what's orihime's birthday? is it also the seventh of july?

Mae
Mon, 12-20-2004, 10:57 PM
The Tanabata festival (also called the Star Festival) may not be relevant, but I always liked it because of the legend behind it. Feel free to skip, but heres the short version, forgive me if I screw it up:

Orihime was the daughter of the Emperor of Heaven, and her job was weaving the gods clothing. Hikoboshi (or Kengyuu) was the shepherd of the gods. They met, and fell in love, but they were so much in love they neglected their tasks. The gods clothing became tattered and their animals wandered. The Emperor became angry and banished Hikoboshi across the river of stars, making both of them miserable. He later regretted his decision, but so that they would do the jobs assigned to them he allowed them to meet just once a year, on July 7. If they do their job well a boatman will bring Orihime across the river, but if they do poorly he will make it rain so that the river is flooded. If the river is flooded a flock of birds will fly to the river and make a bridge so that they still can meet.

In astrologic terms Orihime is the star Vega, Hikoboshi is Altair, and the river is the Milky Way. They are usually on opposite sides of the Milky Way, the exception being the days of the Star Festival.

A lot of animes have a Tanabata episode because it lets them dress all the characters up in traditional clothes, go to a festival, and then watch the fireworks. Ive seen it in Ranma, Tenchi Muyo, Love Hine, a couple others& they may have one in Bleach later.

link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanabata) and link (http://www2.gol.com/users/stever/orihime.htm)

jimmymasaki
Tue, 12-28-2004, 06:00 AM
exactly what was stated above about all the tanabata festivities only that this day is pretti much onli celebrated by families who have young girls because the festival is for girls (for boys it's kodomo nohi [least i think it was]) coz it's all about love and crap like that because tanabata is the only day in the year that the two can meet.

but orihime isn't a REAL popular name [back to the topic] like kaori, however there's bound to be people called that in japan... come on there's people called india and genevieve (sp?).

Board of Command
Thu, 12-30-2004, 12:52 PM
There are people called Jesus. Look him up: Jesus Colome (sp?)