PDA

View Full Version : FF7 Advent Children Trailer #2

kooshi
Fri, 12-10-2004, 06:51 PM
AonE subbed the Japanese parts of this trailer and it looks freaking awesome.

FF7 AC Torrent (http://a.scarywater.net/aone/%5BAonE%5D_Final%20Fantasy_VII_AC_Trailer_2_%5BB1D 7F341%5D.avi.torrent)

nests
Fri, 12-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Damn this thing just keeps looking better and better.

Xollence
Fri, 12-10-2004, 08:04 PM
Wow looks good, and all of the main characters on in it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif Anyone know when it'll be out?

Board of Command
Fri, 12-10-2004, 10:45 PM
Feb 2005...supposedly

Just watched it. Damn, the animation is simply unreal. The images are so detailed that if you check out the high-res screens you can see tiny details like the metal texture on the sword and stuff. Man, if only this is coming out in theaters it would totally crush the box office!

Ryllharu
Fri, 12-10-2004, 11:39 PM
And here in America, the general populace thinks that Pixar and Disney is the best computer animation they've seen. It's SO obvious that Square will always be years ahead of everyone else. I cannot wait to see it, makes me want to play FF7 again.

kooshi
Fri, 12-10-2004, 11:57 PM
That's the advantage of Japan, Korea, and those type of countries. Their technology is MUCH more advanced than what you usually find here in North America. One of my friends told me that the PCs here are a joke compared to the ones in Korea, haha.

Board of Command
Sat, 12-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Well I just went to China this summer and the computers there all suck. Their market is at least a good 5 months behind North America.

hopeknight
Sat, 12-11-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by: Ryllharu
And here in America, the general populace thinks that Pixar and Disney is the best computer animation they've seen. It's SO obvious that Square will always be years ahead of everyone else. I cannot wait to see it, makes me want to play FF7 again.

Disney cg department is still crappy, but Pixar does have the best computer animation studio. Pixar can animate circles around Square. People often mistake realism with animation, they are very different things. Square has very realistic looking characters, but their movement still lacks alot of life that animation is supposed to create. Pixar may have more simplistic character designs, but the characters are more lifelike through their animation.

(Can you tell I'm an animation student?)

Square has years to go before their animators will breathe life into their characters like Pixar does.

Just watched it. Damn, the animation is simply unreal. The images are so detailed that if you check out the high-res screens you can see tiny details like the metal texture on the sword and stuff. Man, if only this is coming out in theaters it would totally crush the box office

CG graphics aren't going to make a movie a box office hit (As Spirits Within proved), if Advent Children doesn't have a great story, and is very well told, it'll flop in theatres; I think it probably would if it was released out here in theatres.

The trailer looked pretty good, I look forward to watching it. I can't wait to see Aeris' face in the movie, they keep it off screen throughout the trailer, and I hope they do a really good job on her.

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-11-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by: hopeknight

Originally posted by: Ryllharu

Disney cg department is still crappy, but Pixar does have the best computer animation studio. Pixar can animate circles around Square. People often mistake realism with animation, they are very different things. Square has very realistic looking characters, but their movement still lacks alot of life that animation is supposed to create. Pixar may have more simplistic character designs, but the characters are more lifelike through their animation.

(Can you tell I'm an animation student?)

Square has years to go before their animators will breathe life into their characters like Pixar does.

I'm gonna go ahead and assume they both use motion capture at least for a general reference, right? How do super-deformed characters (as Pixar uses) have more realistic movements than the realistically proportioned Square CG models? I thought Spirits Within looked awesome and they had really good movements. Admittedly, there wasn't a whole lot of a story to back it up, and it flopped. I still think Square destroys Pixar on realism. I'm not even taking into account the work Square has done on all the RPG's they've done, the latest ones having as equally stunning FMV's as the Advent Children trailer.

Having seen every short and movie Pixar has made since becoming mainstream, I'd say Pixar is the one that has years to reach the level of realism, in both movement and aesthetic realism that Square has already had for the past few years.

Board of Command
Sat, 12-11-2004, 05:41 PM
Spirits Within really had nothing to do with Final Fantasy, so there was no hype to start with. Advent Children has been the most anticipated movie in the past two years.

kooshi
Sat, 12-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Considering how much hype has been given to Advent Children, it better not have a crap storyline.

Board of Command
Sat, 12-11-2004, 07:23 PM
I think I know the storyline but I won't say since it might just be true.

hopeknight
Sat, 12-11-2004, 09:23 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and assume they both use motion capture at least for a general reference, right? How do super-deformed characters (as Pixar uses) have more realistic movements than the realistically proportioned Square CG models? I thought Spirits Within looked awesome and they had really good movements. Admittedly, there wasn't a whole lot of a story to back it up, and it flopped. I still think Square destroys Pixar on realism. I'm not even taking into account the work Square has done on all the RPG's they've done, the latest ones having as equally stunning FMV's as the Advent Children trailer.

Having seen every short and movie Pixar has made since becoming mainstream, I'd say Pixar is the one that has years to reach the level of realism, in both movement and aesthetic realism that Square has already had for the past few years.

The problem with realistic characters in 3D animation is that if you get it even slightly wrong, it's blatantly obvious that it looks wrong. The characters in Square's realistic animations lack personality and life in the animation because of the restrictions of the complex model. A good example of this problem is 'Polar Express' (or as many critics called 'Night of the Living Dead'), the characters look awful, even though they have realistic models (and it's entirely of motion capturing), it's horribly animated.

In the 'Advent Children' trailer the movement was rather stiff for a realistic character, any of the scenes with a character talking looked horrible (especially the scene with Tifa talking to Marlene), it just isn't believable. They've got great special effects and action sequences, but without that life in the characters, it's a poor excuse for good animation. Good animation is so hard to find these days, the entire industry is too focused on cutting budgets than making something truly spectacular.

Pixar has both the skill and the capability to make a film with realistic characters such as Advent Children, and I believe they'd do a much better job. But why waste money of CG characters that would much better off having live actors performing, supported by CG effects ('Spirits Within' would've been much better this way)?

GLS
Sat, 12-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by: BOARD_of_command
Feb 2005...supposedly

Just watched it. Damn, the animation is simply unreal. The images are so detailed that if you check out the high-res screens you can see tiny details like the metal texture on the sword and stuff. Man, if only this is coming out in theaters it would totally crush the box office!

Ditto that.
This is how a Final Fantasy Movie should be. Not like that Spirits Within junk. Although, like hopeknight said, not sure if it would do well at the box office.

@ Ryllharu - dont take anything away from Pixar. They are very good at what they do.