PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy

TruthofMistake
Tue, 12-07-2004, 04:11 PM
well i have recently gotten word that final fantasy 12 will be coming out sometime in the first sales quarter of 2005 probably around late febuary.... this is great news to me because although iv only played 5 of the games i love the franchise.... kinda made this for yall to discuss it so please do so.... yeah 11 was a huge disapointment to head off whoevers gunna bitch about that.... and yes the main char. of ff12 looks incredibly gay to head off that one also

Souryusen
Tue, 12-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Umm.. they need to just up and make a FINAL Fantasy... I love the franchise but it's getting stale real quick.

Supposedly FFXII will revamp the combat system and make it almost FFXI'ish, but I'll reserve my judgement on that until I've played it.

Y
Tue, 12-07-2004, 04:41 PM
I don't think it's going stale. FFX was a blast to play through and FFXI was apparently a success for Squaresoft.

Souryusen
Tue, 12-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Star Wars I and II were huge sucesses despite the fact that they were horrid.

Yeah, X was fun and XI was even better, but I doubt I'll play either again (especially since my XI character got deleted.) Classics like IV, VI and VII I can play again and again.

There might yet be room for the series to grow.. Nobuo Uematsu just left Squaresoft to work on his own, and he was the last of the original big names left in FF. There's room for growth all around, they just need to stop rehashing the same crap over and over.

chambers
Tue, 12-07-2004, 07:23 PM
X was terrible.....perhaps even worse than nine. X-2 was much better but many people couldnt look past the fact that you only played 3 women. i hape 12 will be a huge improvment, i havent seen anythign of it thus far..........but star ocean should be here in days with its FF12 thingy on.

i just hope they put the world map back in the game......

EDIT: or it could mean i actually took the time to play all the games anf form my own opinion. X was the biggest PoS RPG i have ever played. i dont want to fight seymour five odd times and hammer him all the time. i dont want to be pushed form area to are without any time to explore, i dont want no world map, i dont want uninteresting citys that are no fun to explore. IX was just very bland, i dont want my choice of characters to be restricted for 90% of the game espeshially when all most all of them had no note worthy qualitys, i like my characters to be interesting, if not interesting i like them to atleast chip in interesting dialouge from time to time. and most important of all i dont like having the rub pulled form under me to revel the final boss is a nothing entity who you have never encountered before and have no feelings for, heck even kuja was WEAK in comparison to other FF bosses.

Y
Tue, 12-07-2004, 07:30 PM
The fact that you think X-2 was good, and that IX and X were bad, pretty much seals the deal that IX and X are brilliant masterpieces and that X-2 is dogshit.

KaneInferno
Tue, 12-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Even though ff7 is my favorite, im not sure if moving away from 4 member tems and removing the class system was a good idea. each progressive game is less and less like the original final fantasy, and not just graphically, but in game play and story as well...

the original game was sprite one tell the four sprites of light to go rescue his sprite daughter, from the sprite bad guy. from there, you just kinda guess and hope your playing right. and it was truly a difficlut game. i think the recent complexity of the series will ultimately bring it down.

btw, anyone notice that ff9 was really a direct sequel to the original? they don't say it, but its all there.

chambers
Tue, 12-07-2004, 08:02 PM
yeah theres lots of theories floating rouns with reguards to that. aprently a guy who had a hand in creating the story see is tomthing like FF--->FF7--->FF9

Arcn3ss
Tue, 12-07-2004, 08:04 PM
Lets get something straight. Squaresoft is dead. Its Square-Enix. Enix owns Square, there was no equal merger. Squaresoft took a 130 million dollar bullet to the temple, in the form of Final Fantasy The Movie.

The days of the old games are gone, so there is no sense in complaining or comparing them to the new games that come out.

I want to play these new games, dont get me wrong. Who knows they may actually come out with a good game someday.

jing
Tue, 12-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by: Haku_san
Squaresoft took a 130 million dollar bullet to the temple, in the form of Final Fantasy The Movie.

Wow nicely put did you learn that from Trent?

I think FF12 will suck major balls.
FF7 was the greatest.

Lefty
Tue, 12-07-2004, 09:25 PM
Good lord people. You need to stop fucking comparing FF games to one another. I remeber whne people were bitching and complaing about them making FF7 & 9 and those games were fucking awsome. 8 & 10 were needed to progress the graphics and battle systems to a better level, and in their own right were very good games. I love all the FF games. Your trying to make all of these games fit a specific mold when the whole point of the series is change if you really wnat oto nit pic you could say all the games are trite and over done. All the stories are the same Unsupecting guy meets girl in trouble, guy helps girl and finds out that a big mean bad guy is going to either A. take over the world or B. destroy it. Guy defeats bad guy after long a taxing journy. THE END. wow thye really know how to break the mold when it comes to story telling. Every new game runs the risk of sucking but has any FF game sucked so bad that you couldn't play it and enjoy it to some degree. No. They're all entertaining to play. Give 12 a chance. Give all the FF games a chance.

Mr.X
Tue, 12-07-2004, 10:26 PM
i dont see why a ton of people thought ff7 was the greatest. the battle system was weak, every character could summon, use magic etc. the only thing that differed them was the limit breaks.

ffX had THE best battle system, where as every character had their own unique ability.

Knives122
Tue, 12-07-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by: Mr.X
i dont see why a ton of people thought ff7 was the greatest. the battle system was weak, every character could summon, use magic etc. the only thing that differed them was the limit breaks.

ffX had THE best battle system, where as every character had their own unique ability.

Thank you for saying that, b/c thats exactly how I feel, I've said this before here but I'm only getting the Advent children thing b/c of the graphics, I care about the actual story as much as I care about a spec of dust. and plus ffx had a much more enjoyable atmosphere

KaneInferno
Tue, 12-07-2004, 10:46 PM
i gots to agree with Lefty one this one. ive enjoyed all the ff games, i do have a favorite, but that doesnt mean that the other games weren't as good. I enjoyed them all equally, the only reason that ff7 is technically my favorite is because I thought the story was well written, character driven storyline. others also have good storylines, but ff7 was the one I could relate to the most, characterwise. If they keep making FF games till the end of time, then thats fine with me. Ill keep playin em.

Eurasian
Tue, 12-07-2004, 10:49 PM
i actually heard ffxii is going to be the last ff. well rumors are rumors. they'll probably make a ffxiii if ffxii did well...lol

i'm actually excited for ffxii.

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 12-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by: chambers
X was terrible.....perhaps even worse than nine. X-2 was much better but many people couldnt look past the fact that you only played 3 women. i hape 12 will be a huge improvment, i havent seen anythign of it thus far..........but star ocean should be here in days with its FF12 thingy on.

i just hope they put the world map back in the game......

For me it wasn't the fact that you only controlled 3 women (though I do prefer there to be loads of characters so I can choose the cool ones...especially when yuna sucks so badly! Lulu was the only really cool character from X imo though), it was the fact that it was too cheesy, the end of the game came completely out of the blue (I probably only did about 50-60% of the missions though so that might be why i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif) and the final boss was simply pathetic...whenever the story got going it got ruined by suddenly going dead cheesy again, and personally I didn't like the dress-sphere system.

...thats just based on what I'm into though...

Like Lefty just said though - it was good enough for me to play all the way through (and I struggle to stay interested in a lot of games), but I agree that they should put the world map back in...sadly I think that might be gone for good...

I just hope it has a good (enough) story, I'm not liking the character design too much from what little I've seen, the main character looks especially crap, but it'll no doubt be cool enough to play...hopefully there'll be a cool bad guy along the lines of Sephiroth, Kuja or Kefka (Seymour did my head in).

Edit ^ - its definitely gonna be the last proper FF game on PS2, I would have thought they'd continue on the PS3 though (at least they better!). As for my favourite I gotta say its 7 by a mile, just because I think the story is better IMO than the others I've played (6-X plus X-2)...plus the fact it was the first one I played and also changed the way I thought about games at the time probably has something to do with it too i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Souryusen
Tue, 12-07-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by: Eurasian
i actually heard ffxii is going to be the last ff.

Squenix has the rights to the name up to FFXV so far, wether or not they elect to go that far... who can say. I kinda hope they don't.. I'd like to see them branch out into other series. Squenix's capital might be better spent elsewhere.

Eurasian
Wed, 12-08-2004, 12:23 AM
i heard ffxii was going to be the last ff and star ocean will be the next ff, in terms of creating 10 games under the same name. this is what i heard...just a rumor.

Mr.X
Wed, 12-08-2004, 12:27 AM
I think final fantasy 12 is going to be the last one for PS2, not the last actual game. By the time they come out with final fantasy 13, I'm quite sure it will be on the PS3 (or w/e).

edit: cause every system that square developed for had 3 final fantasy games in it. eg: PS- ff7, ff8, ff9.

edit2: yeah i read this somewhere. i think it was from the old forums actually.

Arcn3ss
Wed, 12-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by: Knives122

Thank you for saying that, b/c thats exactly how I feel, I've said this before here but I'm only getting the Advent children thing b/c of the graphics, I care about the actual story as much as I care about a spec of dust. and plus ffx had a much more enjoyable atmosphere

Wow. You're an Idiot. God, dont even post if your gonna make such a dumb fuck comment.

Edit: Just to make it clear. Its your reason to watch ff7 advent children that makes me say this.

hopeknight
Wed, 12-08-2004, 02:08 AM

FFX had the WORST battle system, could they possible come up with a way to make the game any easier?! It made the battles dull, "Oh look! A flier and a slime, let's just switch in Wakka and Lulu!" Battle over 3 seconds later. Wow, talk about a dull battle system.

Back on track with FFXII, I think it'll be great. Why, you ask? Yasumi Matsuno is heading the development. He's the mastermind behing FFTactics, one of the best FF games there is. I think there is a good chance it'll become my second favorite FF game (nothing will ever topple FF7 from its place in my heart).

As for the franchise in general, there is no reason to stop the FF series. The games are unrelated to each other (except for crappy X-2). They happen on different worlds, with the only reaccuring things being certain creatures or character classes. The series would go stale if it was game after game with the same characters, but we get a new, unique adventure everytime.

Y
Wed, 12-08-2004, 08:41 AM
How is being able to actually use all of your party members a terrible idea? While FFX was easy, it wasn't easy just because you could effectively use all of your party members, it was easy because the enemies were ridiculously weak. Being able to deal as much damage as you can in FFX unbalances the game, since your characters become gods before the end of the game.

FFVI is beautiful. It had a good, simple story progression, although it does ignore several characters for the sake of developing the main line. The battle system is fun and fast, the music is classic, the pacing is great (unlike most of its sequels), and it's just an all-around smashing game.

FFVII is revolutionary because it brought the 3D RPG into the mainstream. It's also got a good story, but it suffers due to going a bit "out there" at points, and also from the shoddy English translation. The battle system was excellent, the CG and overall graphics were stunning for the time.

FFVIII stumbles. Graphically, it is astonishing, as usual. Musically, Nobuo slacks off, getting guest composers to work the spotty soundtrack. Some of the music drives me absolutely insane. The pacing is probably the worst in the series - it simply takes far too long to get where it's going. The plot and script are laughable, and Tetsuya Nomura clearly blew his creative juices on FFVII, because the designs here are shoddy and uninspired. They're also all bad characters, from the no-dimensional sidekicks like Zell or Irvine to the silent jackass Squall.

FFIX is my personal favorite. The pace is never too slow or too fast, it's got tons of great throwbacks to the old FF games will still being fun on its own. The battle system's lone flaw is that it's a bit slow. Character development for some of the cast is limited, just like FFVI, but it's done to make the main cast truly shine, which I can forgive once in awhile. The graphics are the best thing the aging PS1 ever put out, and Nobuo's back in full form for the OST. It has so many OH MY GOD moments that I've played through it (a 40 hour game if you're me) at least 10 times.

FFX is, in my opinion, a great step up for Tetsuya Nomura's character designs, since he learns to use a color besides black and brown in his designs. The storyline was excellently told through the amazing visuals, and while the characters are fairly stereotypical Japanese RPG characters, that never stopped anyone here from liking anime. The OST is odd, but has some gems, and the battle system is speedy and streamlined. Good stuff.

EDIT:

FFX's linearity is a problem, but at least it temporarily solves the atrocious convention in the PS1 FFs that secrets had to be hidden in the most ridiculously off the wall and inaccessible places ever. Almost all of FFX's secrets are logical and doable without a cheat guide, unlike the hidden crap in the PS1 FFs. FFIX's characters were lightyears better than angst-ridden bitches like Squall, and by the way, the final boss was what Garland had become. It never states it, but the implication is there.

chambers
Wed, 12-08-2004, 11:32 AM
the implication isnt there. you kill garland dont you (i havent played for a long long time), and although i agree that the character design of 9 is VASTLY better than 8's (bar squall and seifer) i think 9 loses steam after about the half way point, whereas 8 picks it up and never lets go. also forcing you to use certain characters at some points limits the games fun, half the fun of FF7 was that you coudl play though with diffrent characters and they would say diffrent things (like with BG but on a much smaller scale). the set pieces in 8 also seem to be a LOT better than 9....most of wich happens when your not there. the only major ones i can think off are the attack on the life tree, the petrified forest and the destuction of that city. compared to the set pieces in 8 they just plain fail. X for me had the most boring characters however i dont even think they were particular stereotypes that they picked up on, seymour was far far weaker than the last few nemisis characters in the series (sephi, kuja and seifer), he was underdeveloped, had a questionable motives and no despicable personality to speak off.

hopeknight
Wed, 12-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by: Y The Alien
How is being able to actually use all of your party members a terrible idea? While FFX was easy, it wasn't easy just because you could effectively use all of your party members, it was easy because the enemies were ridiculously weak. Being able to deal as much damage as you can in FFX unbalances the game, since your characters become gods before the end of the game.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the ability to switch the characters in and out, it was the fact that the characters were rigged so they could kill an enemy in one hit that was the problem. It over simplified the combat system, making it boring to play.

KaneInferno
Wed, 12-08-2004, 03:46 PM
the only problem i have with the new games: the voices. if your going to add voices, then dont give the option to select the chars name. FFX should have forced the name Tidus, instead of hearing "hey you" or "you know, that guy" FFX wasnt too bad but X-2 did it so bad it was annoying.

GLS
Wed, 12-08-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by: hopeknight
FFX had the WORST battle system, could they possible come up with a way to make the game any easier?! It made the battles dull, "Oh look! A flier and a slime, let's just switch in Wakka and Lulu!" Battle over 3 seconds later. Wow, talk about a dull battle system.

It wasnt horrid, imo. The battle grid system was a unique idea that had its flaws.
Tidus, Auron, and of all people, Yuna, were my strongest.
*imagines Yuna swinging staff at final boos for max damage* good times...

hasnt anybody here played a Final Fantasy game that <u>wasnt</u> on a playstation? lets go back to the good ol' days of Final Fantasy 1-3 (2 was my favorite)

jing
Wed, 12-08-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by: Lefty
Good lord people. You need to stop fucking comparing FF games to one another. I remeber whne people were bitching and complaing about them making FF7 &amp; 9 and those games were fucking awsome. 8 &amp; 10 were needed to progress the graphics and battle systems to a better level, and in their own right were very good games. I love all the FF games. Your trying to make all of these games fit a specific mold when the whole point of the series is change if you really wnat oto nit pic you could say all the games are trite and over done. All the stories are the same Unsupecting guy meets girl in trouble, guy helps girl and finds out that a big mean bad guy is going to either A. take over the world or B. destroy it. Guy defeats bad guy after long a taxing journy. THE END. wow thye really know how to break the mold when it comes to story telling. Every new game runs the risk of sucking but has any FF game sucked so bad that you couldn't play it and enjoy it to some degree. No. They're all entertaining to play. Give 12 a chance. Give all the FF games a chance.

i've never complained that FF7 was made.
i'll give 12 a chance of course no doubt about that because it is an FF. I don't know how entertaining it will be though looking at an ugly main character for 40 hrs+.

chambers
Wed, 12-08-2004, 07:02 PM
yeah looks very similar to tidus who looks similar to zidane.

animefreak
Thu, 12-09-2004, 12:28 AM
I love almost every Final Fantasy games from 7-10. I aslo played FFX-2 and i think its suck, the storyline was poor and the mission is just random, but i beat it anyway. I haven't played any FF that are lower than 7 so i don't know if they're any good. Do any body here play the game called Lunar for the ps1? it's almost like FF.

Mr.X
Thu, 12-09-2004, 12:45 AM
lunar: silver star story

Lunar: eternal blue

played both of the re-made ones for PS. excellent games. amazing animation, voices and story. blue got a bit tedious but it was still nice to complete it.

jing
Thu, 12-09-2004, 08:19 AM

Wow. You're an Idiot. God, dont even post if your gonna make such a dumb fuck comment.

Edit: Just to make it clear. Its your reason to watch ff7 advent children that makes me say this.

yeah knives122, don't say such a thing, alot of us here(including me) has been waiting for a hell long time for the movie to be released. don't say that you don't care at all for the story line. if you don't care then seriously don't bother watching. A person like you watching Advent Children=You disgracing the movie.

Y
Thu, 12-09-2004, 09:40 AM
the implication isnt there. you kill garland dont you (i havent played for a long long time), and although i agree that the character design of 9 is VASTLY better than 8's (bar squall and seifer) i think 9 loses steam after about the half way point, whereas 8 picks it up and never lets go. also forcing you to use certain characters at some points limits the games fun, half the fun of FF7 was that you coudl play though with diffrent characters and they would say diffrent things (like with BG but on a much smaller scale). the set pieces in 8 also seem to be a LOT better than 9....most of wich happens when your not there. the only major ones i can think off are the attack on the life tree, the petrified forest and the destuction of that city. compared to the set pieces in 8 they just plain fail. X for me had the most boring characters however i dont even think they were particular stereotypes that they picked up on, seymour was far far weaker than the last few nemisis characters in the series (sephi, kuja and seifer), he was underdeveloped, had a questionable motives and no despicable personality to speak off.

I'll forgive you since apparently you haven't played it in a long time, but no, you don't kill Garland. You fight him on Terra and Kuja knocks him off the cliff, but he is the one doing both the narrations in the final area, Memoria (if you follow my interpretation, if not, Garland is doing 1 narration and Necron is doing another).

In my opnion, FFVIII NEVER gets steam. It's a slow game, and while you might argue that this lends to the momentum, I say that with its shitty characters, and the annoying button-tapping GF system, the game simply bogs down.

I absolutely love all of FFIX's sets. There are far too many epic moments in that game to list. Besides your abovementioned ones, there's the destruction of Cleyra (or if you meant that above, the destruction of Lindblum), the entrance into South Gate, the entire scene involving the partial destruction of Alexandria (from Bahamut to Alexander to Invincible to Stiener and Beatrix fighting in the streets).

FFX had some bad characters (I'm looking at you, Wakka) but saying that Seymour was weak (his form on Mount Gagazet was a lot harder than the Sephiroth fights in FFVII, since you have nothing like Omnislash to easily stomp him) and non-despicable (his Aeon is the chained up soul of his own mother) aren't really valid criticisms.

chambers
Thu, 12-09-2004, 10:41 AM
hmmmm i remeber about 9 now, but i still dont htink that necron= garland, but i suppose its plausable.

the set pieces in 8 totally eclipse 9, you cant compare the genuine tension in the assasination scene or the sheer coolness of the garden fights to the destruction of lindblum (its all comeing back to me as you mention it!), even junon weapon attack ecclipses that. i have to say i forgot abotu alexander totally tho that was very cool and probly the only scne in FF9 worth watchin again IMO.

but i still stand by my mention that seymour is the worst boss EVER. hes just so boring, and while i agree he is HARDER than sephi and kuja (cant touch kefka) i feel hisoverall character is a major downer. hes also got a minus rating on the BADASS-O-METER due to not actually doing that much turly dispicable stuff, and not being particulalry god like in power (when compared to sephi, kuja or kefka).

Y
Thu, 12-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Thing is, you listed pretty much the only good set piece in FFVIII (the assassination); if there were more like that, it'd have been better off, but stuff like the missile attacks on Balamb were uninspired.

Square can't keep playing the one-up game. For instance, none of the PS1 or PS2 FF villains (except Trance Kuja) got nearly as powerful as Kefka, but Kefka was a very one dimensional villain who generally just did evil shit for no reason. Seymour at least had a reason for his ambition, and if you play through the Anima sidequest and listen to his mother tell about how his courage and spirit were broken on the Final Summoning quest, it adds a lot to his personality.

Arcn3ss
Thu, 12-09-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by: jing

yeah knives122, don't say such a thing, alot of us here(including me) has been waiting for a hell long time for the movie to be released. don't say that you don't care at all for the story line. if you don't care then seriously don't bother watching. A person like you watching Advent Children=You disgracing the movie.

Amen. Honestly, whats the point of watching a Final Fantasy, if the story doesnt interest you? You defeat the purpose of playing an rpg, which is enjoying the story.

Btw Happy Bday Jing. I'll get you a Trent Student Card for your bday. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Terracosmo
Thu, 12-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Knives is a typical youth of today. It's all about graphics. And even when graphics is good there's something else to complain about.

Damn it feels great to have a working internet again.

Y
Thu, 12-09-2004, 11:55 AM
I love people who think the point of RPGs is to watch a story being played out. It's so amazingly opposite the original intentions of the genre. It's why I have to differentiate between console and classic RPGs.

chambers
Thu, 12-09-2004, 02:50 PM
y, you didnt think the two gardens attacking eachother was cinematic? or the spider chasing your team early on?

jing
Thu, 12-09-2004, 05:28 PM
ty haku
awww a trent card, how thoughtfull, jerk lol
i don't really want to watch a game being played out. (xenosaga) was just too cinematic for me, they had long 20 minutes of straight movie action, its not bad, but sometimes i really wanna play the game and not listen to the crappy voice actors talk...
i actually like to PLAY the game, but i like to play a game with an interesting story line, i want to be surprised too.
i am only going to watch advent children the movie because it is related to my favourite game. Like, i havent played the game since 1997, and it'd be soooo wicked to see those characters again ya know...

Arcn3ss
Fri, 12-10-2004, 11:54 AM
I was misunderstood. I shouldnt have used the word watch.

I enjoy the story, by thru playing it. I dont like sitting there listening to ppl talk.

All my favs are like that.

Chrono trigger/cross, ff6, ff7, and xenogears.

Edit: No problem Jing, even if you some how get accepted somewhere else. To me you'll always be a Trent student i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

TruthofMistake
Sat, 12-11-2004, 03:28 AM

umm i saw this posted earlier and didnt even bother to read the rest ill get back to that in a second but ummm..... guy/girl your a dumbass your pointing out something wrong with the others and holding up the same thing in another as great.... the only differencees in 10 were the summons for yuna and the overdrives basically..... you can theoreticly if you have a lot of spare time get every godamn move in the game other then those i think..... at least my auron knows evertyhting tidus and wakka do and vice versa.... i just thought that was really really fucking dumb.... oh and yeah it might just be me because iv been known to miss the very obvious.... stepping off the soapbox now....

alright went through the rest and yes the main character in 12 looks incredibly gay the pic i saw of him was him in like a bondage outfit or some shit..... maybe if they get him some cool clothes and auron was imo the sweetest char. yes ff10 got really easy cause all my chars except that dipshit usesless kimahri who was a failure as a blue mage or maybe i just didnt make him right but i hate him.... they made it incredibly easy to max chars in the late game but early on i had trouble like with that bitch yunalesca because i was still really new to the games and had no idea what the fuck i was doing.... and for those wondering why ihad no idea what i was doing its cause i started at 10 then went to 7 then 8 then 10-2 then 11 and now im working on 1 and 2....

Deblas
Sat, 12-11-2004, 12:02 PM
your on crack for liking ffx better than ffvii

chambers
Sat, 12-11-2004, 01:53 PM
many people who played 7 first think its the best, thats just the way it is. a lot of people like the first RPG they play the most all the time, my fave is phantasy star IV. much better than any final fantasy IMO.but still in this case, 7 IS better than ten.

hopeknight
Sat, 12-11-2004, 02:25 PM
I played Phantasay Star IV before I played FF7, but I still like FF7 more. Phantasy Star IV is definately the best RPG on the Sega Genesis Console, so it's not always the first RPG one plays (which in my case would be Shining Force, also a good classic).

FF7 and Tactics still top any other FF game to be released on PS1 or 2.

Originally posted by: TruthofMistake

FF7's battle system was great because of it's customizing with the Materia System. If you don't like a particular character, your not stuck using them, you can make the exact team you want.

Samanosuke
Sat, 12-11-2004, 04:53 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v478/joshuajerand/modkill.jpg

i understand now

Tofu #2
Sat, 12-11-2004, 05:38 PM

in ffx, everybody can do anything except for someone else special as well. its just no as easy to because you have to travel around on a damn grid.

animefreak
Sun, 12-12-2004, 01:23 PM
yea, the grid was kinda stupid. Its would've been better if every characters level up by battling.

TruthofMistake
Sun, 12-12-2004, 05:57 PM
i didnt say that it was something i copyd and pasted from a previous post i didnt agree with it....

x hypz x
Sun, 12-12-2004, 11:49 PM
i'd like to counter thruthofmistake's argument ; imo ffx did not have the best battle system ever, ff7's materia was way more innovative than traveling around a damn grid. PLacing materia in different places to create different combinations is better than traveling around a grid until every chraracter is basically the same. i mean, my yuna's strength was on par with auron, what the heck is with that?

so ffvii &gt; all &gt; ffx

edit - woops, replied to wrong person

Xollence
Mon, 12-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Hehe yeah I didn't like FFX, but FFX-2 was even worse. I don't think FF7 was the best in the series, FF6 is definately my favorite, and then FF9.

x hypz x
Mon, 12-13-2004, 01:22 AM
lol yeah, i was pretty dumbfounded when i discovered there was a sequel to ffx in the works. ff6 scores high in my book also; so do tactics and ff8. square had better fix their act once ffxii comes around.

Samanosuke
Mon, 12-13-2004, 09:15 AM
"if your going to attempt to insult me and be a complete and utter fuckign gobshite to someone you dont even know, then do it over a private msg not on the boards. " - chambers to me via PM

thank you for making me feel special chambers.

the newest,
"yeah keep being a nob if you like. you dont know me at all, theres no need to be aggressive ro insulting towards me." - chambers.

chambers
Mon, 12-13-2004, 10:25 AM
star ocean came thismorning, i watched the FF12 preview that was on the bonus disk.............makes me almost NOT look forward to this game..... i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Swallow Your Soul
Mon, 12-13-2004, 10:43 AM
^ Damn, I've just ordered that game...thats NOT what I wanted to hear i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif. The artwork looks horrible in the game from the pictures I've seen, I just hope the story etc makes up for it...

What is the bonus disk thing? Just like a 5 minute video or something? Play didn't really describe it too well...

chambers
Mon, 12-13-2004, 12:26 PM
yeah so far..ive been pretty disapointed in SO3 in the graphics department.

the bonus disc contains some stuff you probly wont ever look at and two trailers one for what looks like an action platform game (looks okish if thats your kinda thing) and the 2004 E3 trailer for XII. really dont look too impressive, opens well, but then looks rubbish IMO.

TruthofMistake
Tue, 12-14-2004, 02:57 PM
excuse me if i dont count your opinion in my factoring of how good ffxii will be chambers.... final fantasy 2 is pretty handy i actually liked 8 despite the strange system and it was acutally a challenge and i dont htink i said 10 had the best battle system cause it didnt really.... ffxii.... i dont like the char. designs iv seen but other then that it didnt look so bad....

chambers
Tue, 12-14-2004, 09:15 PM
your excused, your opinion certainly wont effect my liking/disliking of the game. but hey, seeing as tho we both agreed on the same thing on all points, i dont see where the hostility is comming from.

EDIT: it will be interesting to see if they throw in any references to FF tactics on the GBA into this new game....

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 12-16-2004, 08:08 PM
Hmm, not started Star Ocean yet but imo the FFXII trailer actually looked fairly cool...except for the horrible character designs which is a shame...kinda similar in look to FFIX in a way (the general stuff not the character designs...that main characters face pisses me off...).

hopeknight
Thu, 12-16-2004, 10:12 PM
it will be interesting to see if they throw in any references to FF tactics on the GBA into this new game....

It's actually the other way around. They started making FF12 before FFTA, so it was FFTA making reference to FF12 (the book being about the world in FF12). They could still throw in references the other way if they want, I just don't see the need to.

Y
Thu, 12-16-2004, 11:25 PM
Of course, what BOTH games are doing is basing their setting off the world of Ivalice introduced in FFT for PS1.

hopeknight
Fri, 12-17-2004, 05:00 AM
Originally posted by: Y The Alien
Of course, what BOTH games are doing is basing their setting off the world of Ivalice introduced in FFT for PS1.

Yep, but I think it'll only be loosely based (new world, just using some of the same names, the setting is supposed to have a mediterenean feel, not a medieval Europe look).

I'm looking forward to 12 for the sole purpose of it being run by the mastermind behind Tactics (my second favorite FF game after 7)

animefreak
Fri, 12-17-2004, 11:03 AM
Okay, who is your hottest female characters in all the FF series? said the guy if you're a female, okay.

For me is Yuna, cuz she got the cutest smile.
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/All%20Users/Documents/My%20Pictures/Sample%20Pictures/yunauu.jpg

TruthofMistake
Fri, 12-17-2004, 02:50 PM
hmm id say rikku but as theyre not real....

Arcn3ss
Fri, 12-17-2004, 04:54 PM
hmm id say rikku but as theyre not real....

Wtf.. you're lying... Rikku told me she is real. The other voices just tell me to burn stuff.

Hellraiser
Sat, 02-12-2005, 09:57 PM
According to 1up.com advent children will be coming out on March 14.
http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3133458 bottom of left sidebar.

Board of Command
Sat, 02-12-2005, 10:42 PM
One more month of waiting. I can finally see the light.