PDA

View Full Version : Half-Life 2

Raven
Wed, 11-17-2004, 01:35 AM
I bought the Collector's Edition today - and while I ran into some problems connecting to Steam to create an account so I can actually play the bloody game, it's now up and running and I can well and truly say it's an instant classic! The physics are just amazing, beautifully done. A truly immersive world.

It was pretty short-sighted of Valve to do a worldwide release and not have enough server power to handle it when people register their copy IMHO. For those who don't know, it's required that you create a Steam account before you can play (even single player), and Steam unlocks the game for you to play from there after you've registered and given your cd-key. Obviously it's an anti-piracy strategy, but from about a million users trying to simultaneously create an account all their servers detonated as you'd expect. I would have thought they'd be adequately prepared, but there you go.

Once you get into the game finally, it's so very worth it. Half-Life 1: Source and CS: Source are great too.

Mut
Wed, 11-17-2004, 02:14 AM
i don't play computer games anymore. but the game looks pretty good. it should be interesting.

Himura_san
Wed, 11-17-2004, 02:29 AM
Valve postponing this game over and over turned me off from it, beside that $80 for the collector's edition? wtf happened to the poor man's edition? I will just wait for mods to be spawned off the source engine and of course my next upgrade!

Crows_Kill
Fri, 11-19-2004, 09:26 PM
I bought my copy through steam weeks ago- logged on at 12:01 am pst and had it up and running in like 20 min.
I guess I was one of the lucky ones.
The game is fricken great. It really does feel like halflife- I've played so many sequals that were inferior to their source or had an entirely different feel to them.
This one feels right, plays well., and balances the diffuculty just right- even at the easiest difficulty its challenging, and on the hardest is still playable.
All the little details, like the chracters expessions, littl ebits of dropped dialouge from the original, and the cameos by old characters, some in the most unlikely locations, really made this game for me. One review I read said the only thing lacking is closure to the story, and I have to agree with that, it feels like the middle book in a trilogy, not really ending the story right. Heres waiting for hl3- should be out in another 6 years, right about the time dukenukem forever goes beta.

Himura_san
Fri, 11-19-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by: Crows_Kill
Heres waiting for hl3- should be out in another 6 years, right about the time dukenukem forever goes beta.

There is a good reason they call it Duke Nukem "Forever".

Board of Command
Fri, 11-19-2004, 11:23 PM
I thought Duke Nukem Forever was cancelled...well I guess I was wrong.

Raven
Sat, 11-20-2004, 01:57 AM
I thought it was called "Duke Nukem: Whenever".

I agree Crows_Kill, it really is what a true sequel should be. It's kept the great feel of the original game while managing to improve on everything, and it's just all so balanced.

Assertn
Sat, 11-20-2004, 01:14 PM
been too busy playing metroid prime 2 i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Kakafosha
Sat, 11-20-2004, 04:12 PM
hl2 is freakin sweet. with my radeon 9200 it still looks pretty damn good.

EDIT:

Here are a couple of random screenshots i took, i'll post some more if anyone is interested.

http://s92547516.onlinehome.us/images/css1.jpg
http://s92547516.onlinehome.us/images/css2.jpg
http://s92547516.onlinehome.us/images/css4.jpg
http://s92547516.onlinehome.us/images/css6.jpg
http://s92547516.onlinehome.us/images/css7.jpg
http://s92547516.onlinehome.us/images/css8.jpg

Someone is happy to see me...

http://s92547516.onlinehome.us/images/css5.jpg

LobsterMagnet
Sun, 11-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Grrrr I'm angry. I can't get it working. I bought Half-Life 2 and am trying to install my damn CD key on steam but no matter what I do it never seems to register my DAMN CD KEY. Can anyone help me.

Souryusen
Sun, 11-21-2004, 09:00 PM
I'm surprised a Radion 9200 doesn't shoot sparks when you try to play it. I'm avoiding getting the game until I've got at least a GFX 5700 Ultra.

Tsukiyomi
Sun, 11-21-2004, 09:31 PM
I am currently playing it also. Really, you can run it on any decent Graphics Cards beside a couple levels where it gets extremely CPU intensive ,but yes this source engine was definitely worth the long wait.

Kakafosha
Sun, 11-21-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by: Souryusen
I'm surprised a Radion 9200 doesn't shoot sparks when you try to play it. I'm avoiding getting the game until I've got at least a GFX 5700 Ultra.

yea its ideal that you get a better video card for this game because it'll make it a better experience. a fast computer is also ideal and at least 512mb of ram. and souryusen, my 9200 doesnt shoot sparks...it catches on fire for a couple hours i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Jman
Sun, 11-21-2004, 11:36 PM
think i'm gonna need an upgrade. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Board of Command
Sun, 11-21-2004, 11:49 PM
15 fps...OUCH. Oh well, it's probably better than my Geforce 2 MX200 running America's Army i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

I didn't know 9200 can run HL2 at a playable level.

Raven
Mon, 11-22-2004, 02:07 AM
The thing about the HL2 engine is that it's very forgiving from what I've seen. It can be run on low settings at a decent framrate on a low-end system, and it still looks great. Well, good.
I have a really shitty CPU (AMD 1700+) and a Radeon 9800 Pro and I run everything on High at about 30 fps. No complaints there.

Stoopider
Thu, 11-25-2004, 01:52 PM
Damn The Lag!

It's requirements is higher than DOOM3!

Saruto
Thu, 11-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Wow it look like a hit to me!!...But i guess i couldn't play...My vider card is a Nvidia Deforce 4 Mx 420 lol i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

and a 256 ram......................

WOW...and its a pentium 4 2500 mghz(2.53 Ghz) a new new pc that i just have its been like ~6 months.

how it would cost me to have a GREAT card? and a bit mroe of ram? ....and the guy to install all this?

Saruto
Sat, 11-27-2004, 01:51 PM
Wow fast reply in this gotwoot forum.i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Mut
Sat, 11-27-2004, 04:08 PM
i'd understand if you wanted to bump the thread cuz it was 2 months old but when it's only 2 days old, don't double post and use the edit button instead. thanks.

Raven
Wed, 12-01-2004, 06:00 AM
Valve's official Deathmatch addon is out now. The grav gun works so well in DM, walk around picking stuff up and throwing it at each other! Hours of fun! Seriously.

chambers
Wed, 12-01-2004, 09:29 AM
its so-so thus far for me. sure it looks like a dream andplays twice as smooth, but its just lacking somthign for me. i prefer halo 2, but then i havent got far into HL2 yet (just got the hover boat thingy). and either way mega man anthology is taking up all my time!

Raven
Wed, 12-01-2004, 06:11 PM
It's a little slow at the start, but after a while the action picks up and each sequence is better than the last. Just keep going.

SK
Sat, 12-04-2004, 12:17 PM
im thinking of getting it, but im wondering if ill need a new card first, im using the cheap ge-force 4 mx that came with my comp. what are the system requirements? ill probably need atleast an fx to run half-life 2.