PDA

View Full Version : Death Note

Mae
Tue, 11-02-2004, 07:16 AM
I had heard that this was decent, so I downloaded it for Halloween, and I ended up reading all 40 chapters in one night. It's basically a horror/drama story about a student who finds a book dropped by a Shinigami and discovers that whoever's name he writes in the book will die (with some specific restrictions). He decides to use the book to kill off criminals and make the world a better place, but things quickly go downhill from there...

I can't really see this one animated, because most of the best stuff is psychologic suspense, but I love the theme of power corrupting a person, and it's done very nicely here. I really enjoyed this, and I'd highly recommend it. Got it from here (http://s89567288.onlinehome.us/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211)

Anyone else seen it?

Death BOO Z
Tue, 11-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Indeed, Death Note is one of the best mangas around. Some chapters take two-three reads to get the plot clear, and every single page is worth it. The best thing about the manga is how it makes you relate to the 'bad guy' and want him to win over the forces of good.

really, i was so sad that Raito (I refuse to call him Light, keep him Raito, even if it isn't the original purpose of the name) had to let go of his badassness and go to the side of good...

Mae
Tue, 11-02-2004, 05:36 PM
I doubt he let it go forever knowing that guy and his almost insane determination. He probably left a hint somewhere to lead his innocent self to where he buried the deathnote. And I like the contrast between his two personalities, showing how corrupt he became when using the book:

Normal Raito: L, I can't pretend to like Misa just to get information. Manipulating a girl's feelings like
that would be wrong

Raito with the death note: Hmmmm..... I can seduce her, use her to get the names of my enemies, and
then kill her. Nice.

Also it shows how similar L and Raito really are, and how they could have been freinds. I think that if they do it right that Raito rediscovering the book could be a very cool scene. I'm definately going to keep up with this one.

Death BOO Z
Tue, 11-02-2004, 06:06 PM
I know that he's gonna get the note back again, but in the meanwhile, it's so fucking annoyning to see him working for the cause of good... "ooh, i'm so sad that people are dying" is nothing compared to "go off to a secret place that only you know of, and then kill yourself, bitch".
actaully, those two killings (the FBI and what's her name-o) are my favorites, a master piece of cruelity and determination, sucks to be one of Raito enemies..

Hakeem_21
Sun, 11-28-2004, 06:08 AM
I have read only the first four chapters and like what i read so far. I like how L and Raitio challenge eachoter with thier minds.

Also where can i download chapter 5 and forward. I can find chapters 30 + but not older chaps.

Mae
Sun, 11-28-2004, 03:58 PM
You can get the older chapters here (http://deathnote.calicodracona.com/). The newes releases are here (http://wethefans.sukych.com/http/), through 46.

*** spoilers to 46 ***

I like how they manipulated that guy by telephone during the cooperate meeting, and I'm surprised they had Misa get her memories back before Raito, but, hey, evil Misa! They stopped right as things were getting good...

Hakeem_21
Mon, 11-29-2004, 03:42 AM
Thanks mae and im gonna read fast so i can talk about Death Note with you guys.

GuardianShado
Wed, 12-01-2004, 02:58 AM
hey we dont kno if misa will get her memories back just from touching deathnote paper, we'll jus hav to wait n see i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Death BOO Z
Wed, 12-01-2004, 05:34 AM
she probably will, since Raito (i refuse to call him Light) is\was planning to regain the death note after things cool off, and i doubt he'll be able to so without getting his memories back...

Hakeem_21
Wed, 12-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Is this manga every week?

GuardianShado
Wed, 12-01-2004, 07:53 PM
well maybe raito will get the deathnote back and wont remember anything unless ryuuku comes back and tells him everything. misa seems pretty freaked out about remu so far, so maybe remu still needs to tell her about wut she did.

kAi
Thu, 12-02-2004, 06:35 PM
well 48 is released.
http://pedobears.kickme.to
#pedobears@irc.rizon.net

seems they only started at chapter 47.

GuardianShado
Thu, 12-02-2004, 07:41 PM
the dl doesnt work. =[

Mae
Fri, 12-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the link, kAi. To get it to work you have to right click, save, and then open the torrent from your computer.

GuardianShado
Fri, 12-03-2004, 08:33 PM
ok, got it to work. thanks Mae i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Mut
Fri, 12-03-2004, 08:48 PM
i'll check out this manga, but if it sucks... i'm banning all of you!

~*AmiDamaRu*~
Sun, 12-05-2004, 11:43 PM
i cant erad it cuz its in rar format... is there ne way i can read it?

Cyrano
Mon, 12-06-2004, 12:29 AM
Try downloading winrar... you can download it at download.com

BTW, excellent manga ! Thanks for letting everybody know about this i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Hakeem_21
Mon, 12-06-2004, 06:00 AM
What wonderful manga and Raito must get Death Note back cause he was awsome when he had it!

As Mae said this manga would never work as an anime cause its about psychologic suspense.

EDIT: chapter 49 is also realesed in the site k gave link to if you didnt know.

tensai
Thu, 12-09-2004, 04:36 AM
i just downloaded all of the manga,
i was wondering what the extra stuff where (the fanart, parody, akamaru, and halloween)
is it official stuff or fan stuff?

edit: does anyone know where i can find chaps 43-46?

Hakeem_21
Thu, 12-09-2004, 05:00 AM
Here can you find chaps to 46 http://www.symphonext.com/manga.php?title=deathnote

and here 47,48,49 http://pedobears.pe.funpic.de/wordpress/index.php

enjoy

tensai
Thu, 12-09-2004, 01:59 PM
thanks, i couldnt find chaps 43-46 so i really appreciate the links

GuardianShado
Thu, 12-09-2004, 06:51 PM
anyone kno wut day of the week deathnote usually comes out? i hav all the chapters, i jus wana kno wen in case i fall behind

jing
Sat, 12-11-2004, 03:13 PM
okay i just read this, and its freaking awesome!
doesn't beat gantz though,
but its not ur average manga. damn

Hakeem_21
Mon, 12-13-2004, 04:11 PM
GANTZ is great but i like this more,which chapter are you on?

EDIT: DN chap 50 is out!!

drcitan
Fri, 12-17-2004, 05:56 PM
someone gave a link to dowload Gantz earlier but the link doesn't work. Help a brother out.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 12-25-2004, 03:59 PM
DN 51 is out, go get it and be amazed.

anyway, i just noticed it now, but the chapters are called pages (page 1 = chapter 1, page 51= chapter 51), is it to indicate that DN is going to run for 60 chapters, the same amount of pages in a death note?

Hakeem_21
Sat, 12-25-2004, 06:10 PM
Nah it will go longer than 60 chapters cause just because its called pages instead of chapters doesnt mean it will end at 60. Also the story so far showes that a lot more is coming.

GuardianShado
Sat, 12-25-2004, 09:56 PM
hey how'd raito gonna get the deathnote back if he sed he forfeited it? doesnt that mean ryuuku took it back to the other world?

tensai
Sat, 12-25-2004, 11:37 PM
can someone provide a link to download chap 51, either bt or direct download?
(unless its only out on irc right now)

Hakeem_21
Sun, 12-26-2004, 07:36 PM
http://wethefans.sukych.com/DeathNote.html

GuardianShado
Sat, 01-01-2005, 05:57 AM
oigh oigh, looks like it might jus be comin to a close... at least til raito gets the deathnote back O.O

Hakeem_21
Sat, 01-01-2005, 07:20 AM
I wouldnt know about that since DN is pretty unpredictable we cant really know what will happen next. Atleast the fool will go down....

Mae
Tue, 01-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Chapter 53 is finally out, http://wethefans.sukych.com/DeathNote.html. I won't spoil what happens but..... i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif

RasenDori
Wed, 01-26-2005, 06:56 PM
this book rocks da house!

Munsu
Thu, 01-27-2005, 03:44 AM
ok i cought up to chaperter 53 of death note... pretty good series... this manga is full of psycho's...

but too bad the latest scans were pretty bad... i hope another group releases better quality

edit: btw.... http://wethefans.net/http/DeathNote/[W,tF. (http://Death_Note_-_054.zip]http://wethefans.net/http/DeathNote/[W,tF.]Death_Note_-_054.zip) 54 is out

now i should be ahead of you guys i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Paulyboy
Tue, 02-08-2005, 01:04 PM
Omg I didnt know you guys knew about that manga, but anyways i just started reading it, if you dont want to download it go to www.degree-anime.com its a good website, where you can just browse through it instead of downloading it

Hakeem_21
Tue, 02-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the paulboy but i prefer my reading with my manga viewer.

Also i cant wait for chap 55 ,how things will turn out for Light.

Munsu
Wed, 02-09-2005, 05:46 AM
chapters 55 and 56 have been released...

i don't have a link with me at the moment

edit... found it here

http://www.dnchronicles.co.nr/

Hakeem_21
Wed, 02-09-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the link bud

Two chapters of DN at the same was a nice suprise.

LiquidNight
Fri, 02-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by: GuardianShado
hey how'd raito gonna get the deathnote back if he sed he forfeited it? doesnt that mean ryuuku took it back to the other world?
he going to get it back by magic....OOOOOoooooOOOO
Or you can just read the latest chapters...

Hakeem_21
Fri, 02-18-2005, 10:01 PM
I guess you guys have heard that DN will end this year?

Munsu
Mon, 02-21-2005, 06:27 PM
chap 57 is out btw

Edit: yep sorry about that

Hakeem_21
Mon, 02-21-2005, 09:47 PM
I think you mean chap 57i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Im looking forward to the ending of this manga,who will win at the end.

Ryllharu
Wed, 02-23-2005, 07:53 AM
I just marathoned the first 56 chapters, and this has to be one of my favorite manga serials. Two bad the only characters I like consistently through the whole thing are Ryuk, Rem, and Misa. Raito/Light is such an arrogant bastard...

Hakeem_21
Wed, 02-23-2005, 09:05 AM
Thats why i like Light he makes arrogant be something cool.

Munsu
Thu, 02-24-2005, 07:16 AM
58 is out... http://deathnote.org/index.php?id=media/downloads.php

lol 58 was....

i'll let you read it

Ryllharu
Thu, 02-24-2005, 07:36 AM
58 didn't seem as big as 57, the stuff that happened you could basically see from the end of 57.

Still, Awesome manga, definitely one of my favorites.

Hakeem_21
Thu, 02-24-2005, 11:48 AM
This was the best chapter in DN!!

The smile on Light's face when L..... was pricelessi/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

But i can feel that things will go bad for him for now on.

Munsu
Thu, 02-24-2005, 12:09 PM
you know what i think....

L is not.... he faked it...

i think REM disapeared after killing Watari, so she might not had time to.... L

Hakeem_21
Thu, 02-24-2005, 01:03 PM
That could happen but it would suck cause then it ruins the great moment.

I like this mangaka cause she can come up with everything.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 02-24-2005, 01:24 PM
i don't know, it is possible that ryuuzaki was faking his death, and now he's working with raito's (i hate calling him light) father to get the final piece of evidence...

anyway, i think we have only two more chapters until the end, so we'll know pretty soon...

Lefty
Thu, 02-24-2005, 01:58 PM
It think the series will crawl a little bit past that. I'd say ten more chapters for the series to end. But I do feel the L is not dead.

Mae
Thu, 02-24-2005, 05:53 PM
Nice chapter... The scene of Raito grinning in triumph over L as he died was well done, very evil. I, for one, don't think he was faking it. And if he was I think Raito would have noticed it... But isn't there some way to reverse the deaths caused by the death note? I seem to remember this from the pilot chapter with the kid and the bullies. It seems that the only person evil Raito cares about besides himself is his father... Maybe his father will discover he's Kira and confront him? I want the next chapter....

Death BOO Z
Thu, 02-24-2005, 06:05 PM
nope, their's no eraser in this manga... and besides, it's been over 3 months since raito started killing, so they probably haven't kept all the bodies, meanning that he can't get out of it clean and without suspicion,,,

Ryllharu
Thu, 02-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Love the series, and especially enjoyed all the recent chapters, but I honestly hope Raito burns in hell for all the things he's done. God I hate him, though its true I enjoy to hate him while reading how he outmanuevers everyone.

Hakeem_21
Fri, 02-25-2005, 08:59 AM
You know that he wont win in the end thats why i have no problem enjoying things right now.

L is death... Rem knew he had to kill him for Misa's sake and if Rem could kill only one person before he died why would he kill Watari first.

If L is alive i will deleate all my DN chaps and forget that this manga ever existed....

Munsu
Wed, 03-09-2005, 12:47 AM
chapter 59 released... dont have a link yet with me

Mae
Wed, 03-09-2005, 08:01 AM
Death Note 59 (http://www.wtfstfu.net/wethefans.html)

*** Spoilers ***

So L is really dead.... I liked this character alot, but it's cool they didn't reverse his death. Raito and his dream for a new world: 1 Opposition: 0. Complete victory for the "bad guy," something you don't see that often in manga.

And It looks like ther're getting some new opponents for him. I don't know if they can match L, but it's nice that the manga looks like it won't end any time soon.

Souda
Thu, 03-10-2005, 08:46 PM
Right now, I'm only on CH 43, and I hate it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif I was already reluctant to d/l it in the first place cause all the FMA fans also love DN. But I dislike FMA, so I wasn't gonna try it. But I changed my mind and decided reading it, and already I start off not liking Raito cause he's a selfish, pretentious, ...jerk who thinks he can play GOD (reminds me of Sasuke), a fave character already walked out, and unfortunately (since some pple on DA don't know how to label spoilers) I discovered that another fave chararacter of mine, DIES. D:

*spoiler maybe*

The whole Yatsuba conflict is really making me lose interest in reading. It takes Death Note out of a personal level between Raito and the people he's close to, and....wtf! Raito as a good guy? omg. Seriously, it was already bad having Misa show up, and now that?! =_=;;

Anyway, I love the artwork, and the suspense, so I guess I need to read the rest of this manga and maybe I'll quit hating. Maybe.

Paulyboy
Sat, 03-12-2005, 05:04 AM
Dude its really kick-ass though, but you should read Gantz also, its really good i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif. But man i love DN, Gantz, Naruto, Bleach, without mangas I would be bored (maybe)

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 04-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Finally caught up with the manga this week, having saved it over the long wait till chap60 - I too got a spoiler (not here) just by seeing the news on deathnote.org when I was looking for the release, but I kinda expected it anyway.

*extremely mild spoiler*

Its gonna be interesting to see these potential replacements...

Ryllharu
Wed, 04-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Chapter 60 has been released, though only in the irc channel, as DN was licensed by VIZ.

jing
Sun, 05-08-2005, 01:54 PM
61 is out

Yondaime-
Thu, 05-19-2005, 10:25 AM
death note! O_O
best manga i've ever read so far i think...
I'm in chapter 40's so confused righ now @_@
It kind of gets boring at chapter 40.. cause i thought raito lost his powers i dunno yet though

yallo
Wed, 07-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Just finished reading chp61...

*** spoilers ***

*begins rant*

GAWD I hate it!!!! How can Ryuuzaki die?!?! Nooo!!! That's horrible horrible horrible!!! And we didn't even get to know his real name!!!
How how how HOW can the mangaka just kill him off like that?!?!?!?! Nooooo!!!!!!

*ends rant*

*super sad face* i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Gah. I just HAD to let that outta me. I feel so traumatized now.
Ugh that new guy Mero/Mello freaks me out. Somehow I think he's even worse than Raito/Light. At least, at least Raito has some sense of 'justice', however warped that may seem. But this Mero kid, damn, he's just going around killing people off because he's a sore loser and can't take losing to Near.
I hope nothing happens to poor Sayu. And I hope Matsuda doesn't do anything stupid trying to rescue her and getting himself killed doing that.

Dammit! I want Ryuuzaki back!!!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Paulyboy
Fri, 07-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Haahah just to let you know, your way behind. check out the latest one www.degree-anime.com

GuardianShado
Thu, 08-11-2005, 09:43 PM
i believe www.stoptazmo.com is up to date with deathnote as well i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

yallo
Mon, 02-06-2006, 08:17 AM
Revival of the dead thread!!! Rawrrrrr
=P

Okay anyway. I can't believe nobody is discussing this manga anymore... where have all the readers disappeared to?
Actually, my main point of posting here is to ask for you guys' opinion.
Do you think it's worth it to buy this manga???

*potential spoilers ahead up to Vol 7*

Honestly, the main thing that attracted me to this manga was the battle between L and Light/Raito.
But now that he's gone and replaced by Mello and Near, things seem to be getting a little whacko and outta place.
I haven't read much past that point.
So for you guys that are still following the progress of the manga, how are things?
Are they living up to the fascinating start of the story?

*end of spoilers*

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

And on another note.
Looks like it's been decided, there is going to be not one, but TWO LIVE ACTION MOVIES for this manga!
*gasp* (and pardon the caps)
They will be out in June and October respectively this year.
(below is the manga cover for Vol 10)

http://static.flickr.com/21/96278260_dd5e9cdbb7.jpg

Apparently, the main casts have been decided too...

http://tokyo.cool.ne.jp/lovamato/LU14.jpg http://tokyo.cool.ne.jp/lovamato/LUH.jpg

As to who will be L and who will be Light/Raito.... well.. your guess is as good as mine...
=)

Carnage
Thu, 04-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Just finished chapter 105. Near said he and Mello alone are not as good as L (Original, The one that everyone cried after he died. Well atleast I felt real sad.....:( :( :( ) but together they are better,

*SPOILER IF YOU HAVENT READ CHP. 104*

but even though Near caught Kira, he couldn't have done it withought L's past research and also, a major part in Near's success was due to luck. He said himself that Kira really won. So how is he combined with Mello better than Kira? They still lost.

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 04-22-2006, 02:54 PM
****Spoilers in second paragraph****

About the Mello/Near thing, I still like this manga as much as I did before I think...although I probably can't get into it quite as much since during the whole L vs Raito bit I was miles behind (I had been d/lling it for ages but hadn't started reading) so I was reading in longer sessions. It isn't as exciting when there is big gaps between chapters. :P Just read 102-105 and it was still ace.

****SPOILERS - If you haven't read 105****

Even though it seems like the end I'm still hoping for another twist somehow. It does seem a bit lucky for Near that a mistake on Mikami's part has been the deciding difference between Near and Raito, I'd hate to see an end based on such an event, thats why I hope that either Raito somehow gets out of the situation, or if he does get caught then have someone else somehow get his notebook and start again where he left off...

Carnage
Sat, 04-22-2006, 03:58 PM
Well Raito did look at his watch at the end of the chapter and said "FOOLS!". I think we can assume hes going to try and kill them all with the paper in his watch.

Swallow Your Soul
Sun, 04-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Yeah thats true, come to think of it, Near showed everyone the note that Mikami wrote everyone's names on didn't he? So he would know their names from seeing the note. I had forgotten that...

Thu, 05-11-2006, 12:33 AM
does anyone know where i can get the chinese translation for this?

yallo
Mon, 08-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Doesn't anyone read this manga anymore?? I'm still pretty behind, just finished Vol 9 only.

Anyway, sidetracking a little, seems like there will be a Death Note anime after all! Slated to start airing in Japan this coming October. *cheers* =) Any news of whether any group will be picking up this series?

Carnage
Mon, 08-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Death Note anime? WHERE?

*SPOILER FOR ANYONE WHO HASNT FINISHED READING THIS MANGA*

the ending was pretty weird. Who the hell was the girl at the end? She had shinigami eyes. Is going to be the next Kira?

yallo
Wed, 08-16-2006, 10:19 AM
It is listed both on the Animesuki forum thread (http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=34629)and also on Moonphase (http://www.moonphase.cc/Html/anime.html). According to Moonphase, the series will start airing on 3 Oct 06! Not much more info to go on, except that the animation is produced by Madhouse Studios, same guys that did Chobits, Gungrave, Trigun, X TV (to name a few). Sounds good already! :D

Carnage
Wed, 08-16-2006, 02:24 PM
HOORAH! THIS CALLS FOR CELEBRATION!

but nobody has yet answered my second question about the girl....

This is going to be one kickass series :D

masamuneehs
Mon, 10-09-2006, 01:02 PM
*joins the ranks of Death Note manga readers*

read the first two volumes last night. I like this one alot, as it presents morality and ethics in a very different way than most animes. Here it's not "This guy's evil, this guy's good". In that way it really reminds me alot of the older Gundam series, where both sides (or at least parts of them...) were very "gray", very human. Nothing pisses me off more than black/white good/evil divisions.

Also doesn't hurt that the matching of wits between L and Light (Raito) really drags you in and offers some awesome tension and conflicts. The drawing style is also very good, though I may have been spoiled by chapter 1 being HQ, reading now more for the plotline and appreciating the drawings less in the subsequent LQ scanlations.

well, i'm sure i'm not going to be the last one brought over to the manga by the show.

kAi
Mon, 10-09-2006, 10:01 PM
You have a long way to go masa, but it's worth it, this manga sucks you in and you can't stop. The story is awesome and the way the characters are makes it feel real.

This would be one of my favourites.

ody
Thu, 05-10-2007, 12:31 AM
*SPOILERS*

I just finished reading this and although I expected Light to lose in the end, the double-twist of Near knowing that Light would assume that Gennevo (sp?) would swap the real one with the fake one was interesting.

Anyways, who was the girl at the end? And as a poster above said, she had shinigami eyes? How could you tell?

First I thought it was Misa but it didn't look like her at all... A sequel to this manga would be off the chain...