PDA

View Full Version : Careful with BitTorrent

Sensei Jon
Fri, 10-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Just letting you all know to be careful with Bit Torrent if you live in the US. I don't know if this is happening a lot but one of my friends just got a letter from some organization threatening him with huge fines for using bit torrent. Now his school is threatening to kick him out of all his computer classes and banning him from use of the internet. Just letting you know to be cautious.

ShinobiNeko
Fri, 10-29-2004, 08:52 PM
that sucks -_-....do you know what your friend was downloading that lead to an organization sending a letter?

Board of Command
Fri, 10-29-2004, 09:05 PM
By the sounds of it, the guy was probably downloading using a school computer.

NM
Fri, 10-29-2004, 09:12 PM
He's most likely using a school computer. Why in the world would you use BT there? I mean, it would only be a matter of time until the school found out he was downloading movies and such. But in any case, hope things go well for your friend Sensei Jon.

Deblas
Fri, 10-29-2004, 09:13 PM
wow. he could've been downloading something already licensed by the u.s. and if he was downloading using bit torrent in a school computer well i have to say that your friend is kind of an idiot. anyway i hope things turn out well for your friend

Knives122
Fri, 10-29-2004, 09:38 PM
if it was already licensed by the u.s. and in the school then hes screwed, the more space you take on your school name with it costs the school money, so i wouldnt be suprised if he didnt get a couple of fines from some higher up people(lets just hope he doesnt get into that much trouble)

animefreak
Fri, 10-29-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by: Sensei Jon
Just letting you all know to be careful with Bit Torrent if you live in the US. I don't know if this is happening a lot but one of my friends just got a letter from some organization threatening him with huge fines for using bit torrent. Now his school is threatening to kick him out of all his computer classes and banning him from use of the internet. Just letting you know to be cautious.

how did the organization's know who he is? and where did he recieved his letter? a e-mail maybe, plz be more specific. Surely, they wouldn't know whom students' been downloading.

Deblas
Fri, 10-29-2004, 10:06 PM
they have ways of finding out. I dont know how though

DO
Fri, 10-29-2004, 10:40 PM
The only reason these 'organization's are threating him with fines is because most likely his school told on him. .EDU connections are real popular now days and the schools don't like it.

Lefty
Fri, 10-29-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by: Deblas
they have ways of finding out. I dont know how though
Schools have you sign in when using their computers so all they have to do is find out what computer it is by using the IP adress and then look at the list of who was on it and figure out the DL time adn he gets pinned. simple as that.

Assertn
Sat, 10-30-2004, 12:26 AM
it only happens when its licensed stuff.....
i know 2 or 3 people that got letters for downloading certain movies off supernova

its not gonna happen if you download anime

Shi_No_Shikaku
Sat, 10-30-2004, 12:30 AM
At lest not naruto but stuff like Outlaw star might be.... and hears a thought don't download any where you have to log on.

Assertn
Sat, 10-30-2004, 03:18 AM
well the point is, that the chances of licensed anime being monitored over suprnova is verrry unlikely

its mostly the huge movie and music companies that are getting involved with stuff like that, i doubt most of the small anime dubbers would bother with it, at least at the moment.

Sensei Jon
Sat, 10-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Well I was told he was sent information on everything he downloaded, where he saved it to, what he renamed it to, the ports he used, the IP's of the people who uploaded to him, etc etc. I am pretty sure he was downloading games and such.

I am just letting you all know what has happened and to be a little more cautious perhaps.

I am not sure how he got the notice, I heard it from another friend of mine. He was using his own computer in his room at the college I am guessing.

PSJ
Sat, 10-30-2004, 09:15 AM
sucks to live in the U.S i hope your friend wont need to pay fines and shit.. that would suck even more. its better to use dc++ music and such.

Y
Sat, 10-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by: Sensei Jon

May I be the first to call bullshit? Yep, yes, I will.

woofcat
Sat, 10-30-2004, 01:29 PM
Sigh, "Well I was told he was sent information on everything he downloaded, where he saved it to, what he renamed it to, the ports he used, the IP's of the people who uploaded to him, etc etc. I am pretty sure he was downloading games and such." Thats called a key logger or the use of surveillance software. If it was his own computer i would sue the university for all they have. If it was a school computer then well your screwed.

"I am pretty sure he was downloading games and such." Well then how does that pertain to Anime? Also Suprnova.org = Infested with law authority's. Use something like www.torrentbits.org or www.filelist.org, Stick to Private trackers that use peer guardian block lists to help weed out feds, Etc. Also it would help if you IP Scanned yourself. get a program called Protowall from Http://www.bluetack.co.uk/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=2 and get a block list from http://methlabs.org/sync/. Enjoy.

Assertn
Sat, 10-30-2004, 02:02 PM
then i'd say good luck trying to sue the university if that was the case.

in the court of law, it is not only legal for your ISP (in the case, the university's service) to know everything you do online, but REQUIRED for them to release information about you if somebody like the RIAA deemed it necessary to question your online activity.

woofcat
Sat, 10-30-2004, 02:08 PM
Incorrect. The RIAA has not legal grounds other than a request. They are not tied into any goverment agency. Also I was saying about the "Renameing" and the moveing of the files on the Hard Disk. If it is a private computer they have no grounds to veiw its contents.

Stoopider
Sat, 10-30-2004, 02:33 PM
How much is cybercafe's and how fast is their speeds?

Make friends with a cybercafe owner, and download your anime there. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif THen bring empty cd's and burn.

animefreak
Sat, 10-30-2004, 10:52 PM
sound kinda serious. How much is the fine?

Sensei Jon
Sun, 10-31-2004, 09:18 AM
No clue, just letting you all know. Do what you want with this information, I could care less, just letting you know what happened.

Kakafosha
Sun, 10-31-2004, 03:00 PM
maybe someone has said this but i accidently skipped reading it, but heres what i think. his school ratted him out. the feds werent on him, the school told them he was downloading stuff. most schools with a large computer network usually have some kind of software to watch what everyone is doing on the computers. they have something like that at my school. it'll recording your every action and the network administrator will know if you're doing something wrong. the school didnt want to be responsible for his downloads and so they told the feds he was downloading it saying "this is our policy, he should've known better blah blah blah" and put all the blame on him so the school comes out clean free and leaves your friend with all this crap to deal with.

Y
Sun, 10-31-2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah, ok. The federal government definitely cares about what some jerkoff downloads at his university. i/expressions/rolleye.gif

By the way, Jon, your "friend" is stretching the truth a little.

Assertn
Sun, 10-31-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by: woofcat
Incorrect. The RIAA has not legal grounds other than a request. They are not tied into any goverment agency. Also I was saying about the "Renameing" and the moveing of the files on the Hard Disk. If it is a private computer they have no grounds to veiw its contents.

well thats funny.....i guess the $500 per hour lawyer that was co-teaching my class on this topic must've been wrong then

Y
Sun, 10-31-2004, 04:25 PM
Of course the RIAA has legal grounds to request information about users from the ISP - the legal grounds being that courts have ordered so in the past, thus setting a precedent.

Sensei Jon
Tue, 11-02-2004, 05:51 AM
No he was not stretching the truth, I just read the letter he was given. Go to www.theesa.org, .com, something like that. He was downloading games but I know a quite a few of you download more than just anime.

KaneInferno
Thu, 11-04-2004, 12:37 AM
my old high school had a system where they could literally take control of your computer and look at what you were doing from another computer. once i was in the library and i was reading RPGWorld and suddenly the mouse moved and scrolled up and down the page, probably a librarian in another room looking at what i was doing.

im 100% sure it was the school who ratted him out.

Sensei Jon
Sun, 11-07-2004, 01:14 AM
No it was not the school it was the ESA. They patrol all the major bit torrent sites watching what everyone downloads and all that type of things. It is all on their website

KaneInferno
Sun, 11-07-2004, 01:28 AM
why didnt you say that in the first place?

Sensei Jon
Sun, 11-07-2004, 03:12 AM
Because I didn't know which organization it was in the first place, didn't really know much about any of what was happening. The ESA website will explain it all though.

kupalmaru
Fri, 11-19-2004, 10:12 PM
Dude what is ESA and where is the website

Sensei Jon
Wed, 11-24-2004, 06:00 PM
www.theesa.com

Xollence
Sun, 11-28-2004, 04:11 PM
I got one of those letters a year ago. I just ignored it and nothing ever happened. A lot of my friends got them too for using p2p. There are just way too many people getting these letters, I doubt they'll try to do anything other than just scare you with the letter.

Deblas
Sun, 11-28-2004, 04:17 PM
yea, but its good to take the necessary precautions