PDA

View Full Version : Kaleido Star

Munsu
Fri, 10-29-2004, 12:33 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ykc0i7C.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zrr0k6WSEE

Plot Summary: Sora, a young girl from Japan, comes to America in search of her dream. She wants, with all her heart, to be a member of the famous Kaleido Stage, a combination of musicals, acrobatics and magical effects. With the help of her friends, she struggles to make this dream come true.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=1805

I just started watching Kaleido Star this weekend it was pretty good... I've only seen up to episode 26 from KSTP.... just waiting for them to finish it and start the next series also....

So any fans of Kaleido Star here?

Please if you are gonna discuss beyond episode 26 put up spoiler warnings...

Kuske
Fri, 10-29-2004, 01:45 PM
I love kaleido but i only seen 9 episode from KAA. Can u tell me the site to get up to 26? I been like waiting for KAA to sub the rest for like 2 months now.

Munsu
Fri, 10-29-2004, 04:41 PM
you can get it of irc in rizon #kaleidostage they have a bot with all the episodes..

as for torrents... they dont have any...

anime-4ever has released up to 18... they may have torrents in www.anime-4ever.org not sure though since this is ADV and they may stay away from torrenting the episodes

hikaru004
Fri, 10-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Freedom Rise is still fansubbing this series. They are up to ep 41.

I really love this series too.

stallionslayer
Fri, 10-29-2004, 09:17 PM
if you want to get up ep 41, shinsen and phoenix anime subbed it til like 30 something and then were told to stop...freedom rise continued...it's a really nice series! but I stopped at ep 32 because i want freedom rise to finish subbing it. I'm not sure how long they will take so that's why i'm waiting, otherwise i'll go I want more More MORE! haha...

Munsu
Sat, 10-30-2004, 12:01 AM
ive heard that freedom rise sucks... any truth to that?

stallionslayer
Sat, 10-30-2004, 12:07 AM
well i haven't reached the episodes that they are subbing, but I will let you know when I do whether their subbing is good or not..i think their subs start at ep 35 or 36...somewhere around there

Munsu
Sat, 10-30-2004, 12:25 AM
i'll just wait for KSTP then... it's good to keep it constant

Kuske
Sat, 10-30-2004, 12:56 AM
hikaru004 is freedom rise a bittorent if it is can u give me the link to it? thx

Edit: If it's a irc wat name should i put on irc server?

Munsu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 08:36 AM
Well, it's been 11 years since I watched the first season of this series... and recently noticed that I never finished it. Time to remedy that I guess. I recall really enjoying the first 26 episodes.

Anyone around here managed to watch this series? I know Ryllharu has recommended it throughout the years, but who else managed to watch it?

In any case, this is the version I'm downloading BD rip from joseole99:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=139713&showfiles=1&showcomments=139e0758

And I'm getting the OVAs from here, you can download the series version from there as well if you prefer (you need to register though for the link to work):
http://hi10anime.com/kaleido-star/kaleido-star-bd-720p-bd-1080p-dual-audio/

In any case, this seems to be a very underrated series so hopefully some of you who haven't given it a try take the time to watch it. By the same token, hope my continuation of the series holds up to my memory of it.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 09:12 AM
As mentioned, I'm a big fan of it and have watched it start to finish at least twice, maybe three times.

The original author also wrote Tamayura and did the series composition (though not original work) for ARIA and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee.

It's a unique series and it's got a very 90s feel to it. Kaleido Star is substantially more action-packed than any of those series. It's basically Behind the Scenes: Cirque du Soleil: The Anime.

Even with the dated art, it is visually stunning.

I wouldn't call it underrated so much as under-appreciated. It has very high ratings on AniDB and ANN.

Dammit Munsu, you're making me rewatch a bunch of series! First Chihayafuru and now I'm sure to watch this again.

Munsu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 09:23 AM
As mentioned, I'm a big fan of it and have watched it start to finish at least twice, maybe three times.

The original author also wrote Tamayura and did the series composition (though not original work) for ARIA and Ikoku Meiro no Croisee.

It's a unique series and it's got a very 90s feel to it. Kaleido Star is substantially more action-packed than any of those series. It's basically Behind the Scenes: Cirque du Soleil: The Anime.

Even with the dated art, it is visually stunning.

I wouldn't call it underrated so much as under-appreciated. It has very high ratings on AniDB and ANN.

Dammit Munsu, you're making me rewatch a bunch of series! First Chihayafuru and now I'm sure to watch this again.

Yes, I guess under-appreciated is the correct way... maybe widely over looked?

David75
Sun, 09-13-2015, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Finidjed ep4 and will start ep5. I like this kind of anime and I got one or more laughs each ep which is great.

Munsu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm at ep3 now. I like this kind of anime and I got one or more laughs each ep which is great.

Nice, I'm planning on watching from episode 26 or so next week. Let me know when you reach that point, if you get that far.

David75
Sun, 09-13-2015, 01:52 PM
I might be there too next week. It's an easy to watch show.

David75
Sat, 09-19-2015, 07:58 AM
So I'm already at ep 26, the legendary manoeuver.It's an easy watch, quite nice, even if some eps were a little dull.
Now that the main plot device is over, I wonder what will be the next one

Ryllharu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 08:29 AM
Layla and Sora's rivalry/friendship is easily one of the best parts of the show. It's different from normal rivalries in anime because of the nice dynamic between strict professionalism (early Layla) and passion (Sora and later Layla).

It's strange that she's usually right when Sora is screwing up early on, because they can't betray the audience's expectations of a quality show for personal desires.

Munsu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 08:37 AM
So I'm already at ep 26, the legendary manoeuver.It's an easy watch, quite nice, even if some eps were a little dull.
Now that the main plot device is over, I wonder what will be the next one

Cool. I just finished last night the series I was watching, so I'll get on this next. Will probably watching a few previous episodes to get some of my recollection back.

David75
Sat, 09-19-2015, 08:41 AM
The last arc till ep 26 probably is better than mid season. It lacks the joy and freshness of the beggining, but although clearly in fantasy realm regarding body limits, that last spurt feels more grounded.

Munsu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 06:29 PM
The last arc till ep 26 probably is better than mid season. It lacks the joy and freshness of the beggining, but although clearly in fantasy realm regarding body limits, that last spurt feels more grounded.

Just watched from episode 23-26 to get back into rhythm. Seems like episodes 27-28 are summary episodes of the series so far, so I think I should be good to go with these handful of episodes without missing a beat.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-20-2015, 07:47 AM
I remember initially liking the 2nd half of the series less because the manoeuvre wasn't a physical requirement, but a mental one. Also, less Layla. :(

David75
Sun, 09-20-2015, 09:16 AM
Aye, 27 and 28 were recap...I'm at 33 now. I feel it's natural they have to build Sora's stardom. After all, she's been a goofy underdog and she lacks attractive looks as a teenager.
I'm a little tired with the seemingly impossible challenges that happen all too often.
But it remains an easy watch.

Munsu
Sun, 09-20-2015, 04:08 PM
Aye, 27 and 28 were recap...I'm at 33 now. I feel it's natural they have to build Sora's stardom. After all, she's been a goofy underdog and she lacks attractive looks as a teenager.
I'm a little tired with the seemingly impossible challenges that happen all too often.
But it remains an easy watch.

I'm up to 30 right now. I recall some of these episodes... seems like I had watched episodes from Freedom-Rise releases. Not sure how far I went with them though, but I'll watch all the episodes from here on out regardless.

David75
Thu, 09-24-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm sorry, but I just finished watching it...It really was easy and nice. Pretty nice closing too. And the last manoeuver was quite good.

A show worth watching, for sure.

Munsu
Thu, 09-24-2015, 03:47 PM
Sounds good. I should catch up this weekend. I think I'm on episode 36 or so.

Munsu
Sat, 09-26-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm sorry, but I just finished watching it...It really was easy and nice. Pretty nice closing too. And the last manoeuver was quite good.

A show worth watching, for sure.

I'm up to episode 44 now... and as I kept watching I kept recalling scenes after scenes, and now that I think back on it, I'm pretty sure I had seen up to episode 43 way back when from when Freedom-Rise was releasing. But that episode number resonates a lot with me, so I think that's the last I saw on my original run, so by the looks of it everything from here on out should be completely new for me.

Anyways, it was good to see Sora back in action after all her depressing events recently.

Also David, did you watch all the OVAs? If you downloaded the torrent I offered, I think there's only one OVA there and you might need to get them elsewhere.

Here are the links for the 3 OVAs just in case:

http://hi10anime.uni.cx/hi10anime7/kBaraka/[Hi10]_Kaleido_Star_[BD_1080p]/(Hi10)_Kaleido_Star_-_OVA_1_Extra_Stage_(BD_1080p)_(Dual_Audio)_(51DD16 5D).mkv (I think you have this one already)

http://hi10anime.uni.cx/hi10anime7/kBaraka/[Hi10]_Kaleido_Star_[BD_1080p]/(Hi10)_Kaleido_Star_-_OVA_2_Legend_of_Phoenix_(BD_1080p)_(Hi10-HnK)_(47BE7279).mkv

http://hi10anime.uni.cx/hi10anime7/kBaraka/[Hi10]_Kaleido_Star_[BD_1080p]/(Hi10)_Kaleido_Star_-_OVA_3_(BD_1080p)_(4E75E9A6).mkv

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-27-2015, 02:43 AM
Those links don't work Bud.

David75
Sun, 09-27-2015, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the heads-up
Well the first OVA was a rushed up story that wasn't that good. I wonder about the other 2
As for your links, I need to register... since I can't find these exact files anywhere. Totally out of our subject here, but one time registration is a bit of a bother. Although I understand why...

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-27-2015, 03:15 AM
David, I'm downloading this right now

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=593299

David75
Sun, 09-27-2015, 06:46 AM
David, I'm downloading this right now

http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=593299
Thanks.Very slow, maybe because the show wasn't that popular ?

Munsu
Sun, 09-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the heads-up
Well the first OVA was a rushed up story that wasn't that good. I wonder about the other 2
As for your links, I need to register... since I can't find these exact files anywhere. Totally out of our subject here, but one time registration is a bit of a bother. Although I understand why...

I thought that the direct link would've worked without registration. I'll upload it for you then and give you a new link. Give me some time to do it.

David75
Sun, 09-27-2015, 09:17 AM
Thanks a lot. I only need the third ova. The second one worked after lots of polluting ads... Then I was capped for ova3 it seems.

Munsu
Sun, 09-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Thanks a lot. I only need the third ova. The second one worked after lots of polluting ads... Then I was capped for ova3 it seems.

Here's OVA 3, it uploaded first for some reason:
https://mega.nz/#!SRIEWTgK!1baO9dstucNEluhh_K51qm_hatwOzz0QoX_YVBs ZCVw

And here are all 3 OVAs:
https://mega.nz/#F!aAQBkAbC!VcDqeVCEGutSAah2jmnYyA

They'll be up for a limited time.

David75
Sun, 09-27-2015, 09:42 AM
Thanks a lot.

Munsu
Sun, 09-27-2015, 07:10 PM
Well, well, well... sate, sate, sate... just finished the Kaleido Star tv series (51 episodes).

In all, a series that was much enjoyed. I'll admit, I hold a bit more fondness for what I recall watching originally than this latest run trough it, but nevertheless this was a very good series, well worth the watch.

I wanted a bit more out of the last Angel Maneuver, but it served it's purpose and much like what occurred in the scenes, it was quite peaceful to watch. Heartwarming even and I don't use that lightly.

Hope more people give this series a shot when the time is found, it's an easy show to watch, very straightforward and much heart.

I'll try the OVAs later when I get the time. Glad I finally managed to finish it.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-27-2015, 08:17 PM
I think most anime veterans, in the forum or otherwise, have already seen this.

Munsu
Sun, 09-27-2015, 08:24 PM
I think most anime veterans, in the forum or otherwise, have already seen this.

The ones that remain you mean? Even so, I don't think that's accurate.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-27-2015, 08:50 PM
Really? I figured that when one gets serious in watching anime, they do a sort on anime lists with ratings. This has a good ranking and receives good reviews, so I thought people watch this early on. I'm just guessing, so I could be wrong though.

Munsu
Sun, 09-27-2015, 09:43 PM
Really? I figured that when one gets serious in watching anime, they do a sort on anime lists with ratings. This has a good ranking and receives good reviews, so I thought people watch this early on. I'm just guessing, so I could be wrong though.

People who have historically been on this forum have neglected a lot of well rated shows. The good bulk of the members just came here for Naruto / Bleach and a few of the shows in a particular season at best. And since this isn't an action series, then chances are that this type of show wouldn't have been a priority based on ratings and recommendations alone.

So yeah, I think the best guess should almost always be on the side of "not already seen this".

There are so few of us now though in General Anime, so maybe on that context yeah there's a good chance that many of us have indeed watched it... now that we tallied 2 more (me and David). But even then, I still remain doubtful. When someone asks for suggestions, Kaleido Star rarely comes up from my experience. I think it's generally overlooked.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-27-2015, 10:28 PM
Even people who were heavily watching anime in 2003-2004 are unlikely to have seen this, on average.

Stellvia, Scrapped Princess, Last Exile, Ikkitousen, the first FMA, Chrno Crusade, FMP:Fumoffu, Planetes, ROD TV, Onegai Twins, and Kimi ga Nozomu Eien were all airing at the same time as Kaleido Star. From that far back, all but the most prominent series are completely forgotten about.

The series more likely to be mentioned as a quality overlooked series from back then are probably Gungrave and Kino no Tabi before Kaleido Star comes up.

Kaleido Star was easily overlooked then. I'm honestly not aware of anyone who actually watched it while it was airing (myself included), they all picked it up after it was completed.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-27-2015, 10:49 PM
I watched this while it was airing locally on TV.

David75
Sun, 09-27-2015, 11:39 PM
Only the second OVA is worth watching.The first one is so rushed and about someone not that important to me.
The third one is well... You'll understand quickly.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-27-2015, 11:41 PM
I don't know about watching it while it was airing, but it has a good number of excellent reviews in anime sites. That's how I deduced that people who watch a lot of anime have probably seen this already.

David75
Mon, 09-28-2015, 12:53 PM
I did try to read some reviews, and did not have much luck.
The other idea was to sort anime by rating on anidb. But I guess I should do it by year too (periods)

Another point is that tastes evolve very quickly. I think I would not have been able to watch Houro Musuko until last year, and watched it in one go yesterday.
So it happens that some shows are under the radar for quite a long time, or for ever...

Buffalobiian
Mon, 09-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Only the second OVA is worth watching.The first one is so rushed and about someone not that important to me.
The third one is well... You'll understand quickly.

Hmm, indeed. I watched the first OVA many years back, but I just watched the Phoenix one for the first time. Layla backstory is always good, since she's my favourite character and all.

Her short hair looks nowhere near as good though. I blame Sora for that. :(

neflight86
Mon, 09-28-2015, 10:51 PM
A Necro-binge 11 years in the making plus 20 posts of generally positive discussion; you have my attention. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyfdcoocex8)