PDA

View Full Version : Hitchhiker movie . . .

Shippou-sama
Wed, 10-27-2004, 01:29 AM
So it seems that they're finally making a movie of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." I know they've been trying to make one for decades now, but they've got a definitive cast down (including the "extra" from GalaxyQuest as Zaphod Beeblebrox, and the actor who played Willow and Wicket the Ewok as Marvin).

Regardless, I was just wondering if anyone else knew about this and/or cared.

basey44
Wed, 10-27-2004, 01:38 AM
theres already a movie, i remember seeing it like 10 years ago on cable tv. its an english movie with lotsa puppets and stuff cos there wasnt any computer generated graphics in movies back then

Lefty
Wed, 10-27-2004, 02:01 AM
Wow I've been hearing roumors for like years about this being made. It's like the Don Kihote film for Sci Fi.

Souryusen
Wed, 10-27-2004, 06:27 AM
Holy shit... Warwick Davis as Marvin???? Man... this is big.... er... little! Man! The only thing that would make this even more bad-ass is if they made Marvin a midget robot.

Raven
Wed, 10-27-2004, 06:30 AM
This should be awesome, hopefully. Now I have to read the book again.

basey44
Wed, 10-27-2004, 06:42 AM
no u dont, cos u can watch the old movie of it i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

man i dont think anybody believes me that it exists and ive seen it i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif
it was on the channel UKTV on foxtel in australia.

Raven
Wed, 10-27-2004, 08:11 AM
Yeah, this (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081874/) would be the one you're talking about. The new movie will be much better hopefully.

Shippou-sama
Wed, 10-27-2004, 10:01 AM
http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/hitchblog/blog.html

One of the bottom stories is Warwick Davis in the Marvin suit, and yeah, he's a midget. In fact, he reminds me a bit of the old short round Tom from Toonami. =P

And the new movie should be MUCH better. =D

Mae
Wed, 10-27-2004, 10:14 AM
I haven't actually seen the old movie myself, but I hear it was awful..... I'll have to check the new one out.

HimizujinEternia
Wed, 10-27-2004, 10:18 AM
There's a movie of the greatest book of all time, the director is a huge fan of the series, and much of the screenplay was written by none other than the great douglas adams himself and you're asking if I CARE?!??! This is the ONLY new movie from next year that I can't help but salivate over! I cannot WAIT for this one!

KaneInferno
Wed, 10-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by: basey_69
no u dont, cos u can watch the old movie of it

man i dont think anybody believes me that it exists and ive seen it
it was on the channel UKTV on foxtel in australia.

Hey don't worry, for the longest time I didnt believe shippou-sama when he told me there was a live action tv special about ewoks. After seeing that I'll believe you.

Shippou-sama
Wed, 10-27-2004, 12:03 PM
HAHAHA!

Yeah, "Caravan of Courage" with that little blonde kid. *shudder*

Sure, I'll believe that you saw it. I am curious, though, as to whether you saw a movie of it, or the TV show (that was actually based on the radio show).

Trip
Wed, 10-27-2004, 03:00 PM
The 'old movie' was a 6 part TV series.

Also, if you've never heard the radio version I'd highly recommend it, it was done before the books (done in the late 70's), there is currently a third (new) series being broadcast on the BBC:

Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/hitchhikers/index.shtml)

the last episode airs this thursday i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Shippou-sama
Wed, 10-27-2004, 08:25 PM
I gotta say, I read the book first (I'm currently reading the rest, but I had only finished the first one). I've listened to some of the radio shows, and I'm not really a fan. They're still good, but I like the way the book presented it. *shrug* I haven't seen the TV shows, though.

And thanks for the link, that's great! =P

Stoopider
Thu, 10-28-2004, 01:26 PM
I don't think it would be good.

Hitchhiker was only good because of the way the author wrote it.

Assassin
Thu, 10-28-2004, 08:12 PM
woot! thats great news!

i've read teh first part, and im waiting for teh rest of it. i put it on hold at my local library a month and a half ago, and its still "in transit"...stupid old ladies.

anyway, stoopider makes a good point. half the comedy of the book was the descriptions from the nararator and stuff. it wont be easy trying to display that visually. still, i hope they do a good job....and that they dont deviate from the books.

btw, that link with the marvin constme...y is his head so big. look kinda wierd.

HimizujinEternia
Fri, 10-29-2004, 01:42 AM
I have faith that the movie can handle it. After all, much of the screenplay WAS written by Adams himself.

Himura_san
Fri, 10-29-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm finishing the 3rd book and I don't know how they are going to pull it off, alot of the humor comes from a narrative perspective so if they remove that then they will remove most of the comedy.
To me it's just another good thing that hollywood will take a shit on.