PDA

View Full Version : Where do you save your anime

Kyden
Mon, 10-25-2004, 08:25 PM
Hi im new and I was wondering how you guys stored all of your anime. My hard drive is filling up quickly and I tried CD's but i can only get like 3 or 4 episodes on one. I read something about a dvd r or something that could hold 7 GB because it was double sided or something(am I talking out of my ass?) yeah so anyways i was just wondering where you guys have it all saved. thanks

animefreak
Mon, 10-25-2004, 08:54 PM
its obivously that we save it in our hd. Yours possibly filling up cuz u have a small hd. If you have a small hd then i suggest you to copy it to a cd-r or a dvd-r. I'm not too worries cuz i have a 160 hd which i save mad things in it.

Michelle_Tomou
Tue, 10-26-2004, 12:50 AM
yeah, same way, though my hard drive is only 70 gig. but why don't u just delete the anime after u watch it?

Munsu
Tue, 10-26-2004, 01:02 AM
i burn all my anime

Raven
Tue, 10-26-2004, 01:04 AM
Get a DVD writer. They're fairly cheap now because Dual Layer is becoming increasingly common.

kAi
Tue, 10-26-2004, 01:42 AM
and also with cd's, buy like 100 at a time. and then just do a mass burn sessions, as 100 cd's is 70GB,
of course you will not have exact 70GB but you will be up there anyway.
or if not buy another HDD like a 100GB one there becoming cheaper. and then you wont need to buy a HDD or DVD. but its good to have backups on dvd or cd though.

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 10-26-2004, 06:30 AM
I always burn anime onto DVDs as otherwise I'd just have to delete it...DVD writers are fairly cheap now from what I hear so maybe you could get one of them...

Edit - the DVD discs I use are only 4.7gb, I dunno about double sided ones though...I like the ones I get cos they're cheap.

Elite Hentai
Tue, 10-26-2004, 09:38 AM
I burn my my anime on CD's but now I use DVD+R's. Before I burn my anime I store it on my 111 GB hdd and my 76.6 GB USB 2.0 hdd.
That USB harddisk was the best thing I bought in years because now I can share whole series with my friends without having to burn it.

stallionslayer
Tue, 10-26-2004, 10:16 AM
I store all my series on my 200GB HD any other anime related stuff I keep on my 120GB, I just don't like burning CDs...especially when I'm nearing 600 CDs and I don't know what the most convenient method is to store them...I'm using a huge CD bag now that stores 300+ CDs...but I'll have to get another one. These things are pretty heavy when they're full...hehe!

Stoopider
Tue, 10-26-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm still using Cd-R. Oh man. It's filling up my whole cabinet now.

Get Dvd-R. The Dvd's are getting cheaper. And it can fit up to several gigs!

animefreak
Tue, 10-26-2004, 11:10 AM
i just saw a hd with 160 gb at a store for 60 dollars after mail in rebate. I'll bet they all gone by now.

DeluxSkillz
Tue, 10-26-2004, 11:40 AM
i've got 2 160GB harddisks and the things i want to keep i burn to dvd-r's

animefreak
Tue, 10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
yep, you've to love those dvd-r. Save all those importants data before your pc crashes.

Elite Hentai
Tue, 10-26-2004, 11:50 AM
I think I'm gonna get another harddisk when I'm out of space. I think I'm gonna buy 160 or 200 GB.

narutosharingan
Tue, 10-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Question for those who have dvd-r....do you burn them in total space? For example, you can fit 4.7 gb of info on a dvd-r...but can you play that on a dvd player, or can you only play on your computer? From what I have tried, you can only fit 3 episodes on a dvd-r for showing on a dvd player. But if you wanted to fit a lot more episodes on the 4.7 gb of space, you can't play it like a dvd, you just have to open the files on the computer and play it. Someone explain this to me

DeluxSkillz
Tue, 10-26-2004, 12:14 PM
yes saving it as data you can store 4,5 Gb lol dunno why but more then that and it won't burn, for video you can stoo 2 hours worth of anime so usually 5 eps per dvd so you can watch iton tv

Trip
Tue, 10-26-2004, 12:15 PM
i used to back up everything to CD, but I have so much (200Gb+ HDD space) that it was taking ages, so I'm now backing up to DVDs.

narutosharingan, i just burn them as data (to DVD-Rs 4.7Gb each), you can get quite a few on a disc then. I've got a PC hooked up to my TV so I can watch them on that afterwards.

I've still got lots to backup, it's just finding the spare time to back them up, i'll probally spend an entire weekend doing it at some point.

narutosharingan
Tue, 10-26-2004, 12:33 PM
Ok, so burning them as data won't let you see it on a dvd player. Thats what I wanted to know. You can fit more episodes in, but in order to watch them on any dvd player, you can only fit about 3-5 episodes worth. Of course, you can can hook up the computer to a TV like you said, and do it. Burning to watch as a dvd would require a lot more dvdr than just burning as data I presume.

Is it more cost effective to burn onto dvdr rather than cdr?

Goingin
Tue, 10-26-2004, 12:50 PM
It's all stored on my server

I download the eps and series to a 30 GB HDD
After downloading and seeding i move em to a 250 GB HDD which only contains anime

(which is almost full atm so i will soon be buying an extra 250 GBB HDD i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif)

Elite Hentai
Tue, 10-26-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by: narutosharingan
Ok, so burning them as data won't let you see it on a dvd player. Thats what I wanted to know. You can fit more episodes in, but in order to watch them on any dvd player, you can only fit about 3-5 episodes worth. Of course, you can can hook up the computer to a TV like you said, and do it. Burning to watch as a dvd would require a lot more dvdr than just burning as data I presume.

Is it more cost effective to burn onto dvdr rather than cdr?

I think so, If you can make the DVD's full. If you go to a pricewatch on internet you can find DVD's for just 1 euro a disk.

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 10-26-2004, 02:01 PM
^ Yeah, this shop near me sells DVD+R discs for £15 (gbp) for 25, and DVD-R discs for £8 for 25 discs! Sucks how I can only do +Rs, but when I first started getting them they cost like £4 each!!

If you use TMPG Enc to encode your anime you can generally get it to fit 7 episodes of anime onto a DVD (in 16:9) - still as good as the original file as far as I can see.

animefreak
Tue, 10-26-2004, 02:22 PM
i think you can fits in at least 13 episodes in one dvd by using dvd shrink compressed, and u can play it in a dvd player afterward.But, don't ask me how, i duno, i just heard it from my friend. I never even try to do it cuz its take too long to format the files.

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 10-26-2004, 04:56 PM
I've managed to fit 10+ eps using tmpg but that was with 4:3 ratio (which partially cuts off most of the subs)...it never occured to me to try dvd shrink though...have to give that a try next time i make a dvd...

intense
Tue, 10-26-2004, 06:38 PM
well... for series with lots and lots of episodes such as naruto, i use data dvd+r... for others, i either burn em as vcds, dvd video, or data cdrs... iono depends on my liking on the anime. For anime such as gundam seed destiny which i really like, i use dvd video cuz it has high quality and i can watch it on my tv

btw... i can get 100dvd+r for only 39$$ so hah!

narutosharingan
Tue, 10-26-2004, 07:28 PM
How do you dvd shrink?

animefreak
Tue, 10-26-2004, 07:37 PM
I think u have to format the files first, for all 13 formats format could take about 4 hours by using nero express 6, and then u use dvd shrink to compress it. You can dl dvd shrink somewhere online for free.....i forgot the website, but i think is www.dvdshrink.com. Like i say, i've never try it before let me know if is work, that's if u willing to gives it a shot.

Crows_Kill
Tue, 10-26-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm currently running 4 160gig hardrives set up on 2 raid arrays, so thats about 640 gig right therem, about 620 gig is full, about 450 of that is anime, another 30 or so are all manga scanalations, about a 100 invested in games, the rest is mostly mp3's & pr0n i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif
I also burn anime dvd's & cdr's constantly- so far I have 7 binders full of anime disks each holding anywhere from 100-200 discs each, abou 20% of those are dvd's (data discs), I've got about another 6 binders about the same size with cdr's "backups" of varioue Pc & emu games, 2 full book shelves full of anime dvds (about 100) and another 2 shelves full if games, (about 200). I've got another shelf full of my anime vhs tapes, about another 150 there, mixed between fan subs and actual official releases, some dating as far back as my original copy of "macross do you remember love" original from 84.
Did I mention I'm kind of a multi media pack rat?

intense
Tue, 10-26-2004, 09:23 PM
wow.... you must have a very very very slow computer that would take ages just for it to boot... hahha im fine with my 12+4 gigs HDD, since i dont even fill it up... right now, only about 5 gigs are filled.... i dont think it would go any higher because i burn things right away...so yea.. for me it just takes about 30 seconds for my comp to boot.... hahah such speed!

fremeer
Wed, 10-27-2004, 05:50 AM
i use dvd-r's to put eps on dvd and then using xbox media center i watch them on tv. another cool little gadget is hardware dvd players with divx decoding. allows you to put 25 or so eps on 1 dvd and watch them all at once on a nice big TV

animefreak
Wed, 10-27-2004, 12:28 PM
don't u need a modchip to use xbox media center? can you play a normal anime data cd-r's or dvd-r's and don't have to format it?

dbohnhead
Sun, 10-31-2004, 03:29 PM
Here is dvd settop divx player that will play avi (divx) (xvid) on your tv
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000204SWE/ref%3Dnosim/softrus-20/002-2404896-0556012
I use dvd+r to backup computer files and watch them on my tv

Nai
Sun, 10-31-2004, 04:06 PM
I save some on my HD, and I burn some. Currently I have about 80GB Anime on my HD. I wish I would have a bigger HD however, between all the games and Anime, this one fills up fast.

Assertn
Sun, 10-31-2004, 04:17 PM
just buy a new HD when you're running low
i never trust cdrs....

and you dont need a mod chip to mod your xbox....you can perform a software mod instead i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif