PDA

View Full Version : which is the best dvd burner out there?

animefreak
Wed, 10-13-2004, 07:47 PM
ok, i just got a dvd burner Pacific Digital 8x mach-8 today support +-rw brand new inside a box, haven't open it yet, but i was wondering if anyone have this, is it any good?

Assertn
Wed, 10-13-2004, 08:14 PM
ive always heard particularly good things about Lite-On for anything involving burning

animefreak
Wed, 10-13-2004, 08:16 PM
isn't pacific Digital is kinda like Lite-on? or is it Lite-on?

Assertn
Wed, 10-13-2004, 08:20 PM
im not familiar with pacific digital, but lite-on is its own company

Raven
Thu, 10-14-2004, 03:25 AM
I have the Liteon Dual Layer 832S, I can't recommend it enough, it's excellent.

thundrakkon
Thu, 10-14-2004, 06:26 PM
Here is some information I found for you on the Pacific Digital:

The Pacific Digital 8x DVD±RW uses rebadged LiteOn (LDW-851S/LDW-811S), NEC (ND-2500A) (Writes both 8x +/-) and BTC drives.
(Serial numbers starting with a "41 and a letter" are reported to be NEC ND-2500A drives)
(Serial numbers starting with a "P" are are reported to be BTC DRW1008IM) drives)
all other numbers are LiteOn drives.

Currently right now, from most user reviews, the Pioneer 108 DVR-108 or the NEC ND-3500A are the models of choice right now. They both run around $70-80 at Newegg for OEM models. After flashing them with new firmware, you should be capable of doing dual layer burning on supported media. They are both 16x DVD+-R/RW drives. The major difference between the 2 are CD-R speed, with NEC at 52x and Pioneer at 48x, which really isn't much of a difference. Both are excellent drives. The Pioneer is virtually silent. I have that model and I love it.

The Lite-On, from past experience, is usually a little louder, and they have a longer load up time. It is still a good drive, and can be flashed for Dual Layer burning, but their best model right now would probably be SOHW-1633S, which will cost $70-80, too.

For DVD media, from reviews and experience again, the brand to get is the Ritek Ridata 8x. This model is similar to performances of the Fuji's, but the Fuji's cost a bit more. The best media to buy is Taiyo Yuden, except they are extremely expensive. I prefer DVD+R over DVD-R. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, with DVD-R media being a little cheaper. A 100 pk should cost around $40-50 for the Ritek 8x.

animefreak
Fri, 10-15-2004, 11:48 PM
just install it...seem fine, work great!!!

Assertn
Sat, 10-16-2004, 03:32 AM
well they ALL seem fine and work great at first i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

animefreak
Sat, 10-16-2004, 11:25 AM
yea that true....well, i do have a cd-rw also from pacific Digital 52x that lasted about 2 years now and still work great. Although i don't use it anymore. I also got a sony 48x cd-rw, but is broke....piece a junk!!!

does anybody know any other best dvd burner out there? or what kind of dvd burner u have, any good? this post was about best dvd burner, sorry i didn't post it in my question earlier.

Deblas
Sun, 10-17-2004, 11:48 AM
I have to side with CmDr_RavEn. Liteon Dual layer 832s is very good

animefreak
Sun, 10-17-2004, 09:22 PM
seem like Liteon is a kickass burner. The worst burner i can think of is Cendyne, i got that shit and is broke in less than 1 week, i exchange the item and is still broke in less than 1 week. Worst burner ever, i think they ran out of business or something. My pacific digital burner still work great and hope is stay that way.