PDA

View Full Version : whats so great about FABLE anyway?

Assertn
Thu, 10-07-2004, 01:00 PM
So there are 3 people that play it on the xbox in my apartment all the time........and the looping music is driving me crazy!

i watch them play on and off, and frankly i dont see what all the hype is about. Aside from your appearance changing based on alignment, battle, age, etc......there's nothing all that impressive about it

Sensei Jon
Thu, 10-07-2004, 03:55 PM
I thought it looked really good at first but now that it is out and I see all the reviews and descriptions of the game it is kinda dumb...I mean buying your title and alignment? c'mon...

Nara Shikamaru VI
Thu, 10-07-2004, 05:24 PM
i'll laugh if Halo2 end up like that. doesent live up to it's hype

Souryusen
Thu, 10-07-2004, 05:31 PM
The game lasts about 10hrs a playthough... it's definitely a rental.

I don't suggest anyone buying it before it drops below $30 US.

chambers
Thu, 10-07-2004, 05:55 PM
ill tell you when it comes out over here tomorrow, thats if ican play it inbetween bouts of Rome:Total War and Gradius V.

Rek
Thu, 10-07-2004, 06:56 PM
I played for a bit, and it was really funny....

but imagine when/if it comes out for PC... it will be the MOD of the year... I

hiddenpookie
Thu, 10-07-2004, 09:08 PM
it is good assertn its just fun.. just roaming, hacking and slashing, killing.. good fun

Aeon
Thu, 10-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Yea it's just a fun game to play and being able to do what you want when you want is a great feature. How many times in a rpg have you said you wanna kill a certain character? In fable you can i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif. Plus after you finish the story you can still play it and have fun.

Mr.X
Thu, 10-07-2004, 10:22 PM
is this game like diablo? only game i ever played, having you control one character is diablo.

KameronFrye
Fri, 10-08-2004, 03:45 AM
This game is complete and utter shit. I beat it first time in less than 2 days. Second time, 7 hours. Third, touch over 5. I accomplished everything I wanted to, as far as Rare Weaponry and having a maxed out evil and maxed good, then maxed good and went to maxed evil. The story was hardly open ended, the choices I made that I thought would branch out later on did jack shit. Get Def Jam instead, or Burnout 3. Both of those, imho, were worth every penny of $50.

Shippou-sama
Fri, 10-08-2004, 11:19 AM
The very fact that you mention Def Jam nullifies any other opinion you express. Thank you for calling, goodbye.

Assertn
Fri, 10-08-2004, 12:04 PM
what? def jam's not a bad game
you just have to be a fan of the WWE genre

chambers
Fri, 10-08-2004, 01:06 PM
hey fables been p;retty good so far for me.....not as good as rome or gradius tho...

KameronFrye
Fri, 10-08-2004, 10:48 PM
Firstly sweetheart, you've got like 10 posts under your belt. You haven't been here long enough to contribute an opinion at all, so I'd simply stfu before you force me to whip you so hard that I become famous for it.

I personally hate Wrestling games, but I like the Def Jam. I recommend it over Fable because you can play it along with friends, and I actually found stuff to do when I beat the game that entertained me. Even the story wasn't half bad, I found it more entertaining than Fable's. The shit talking that ensues in DJ:FNY was nice. And theres like 100 ppl to unlock in the whole thing, so it'll keep you busy.

Fable just didn't live up, that's the bottom line. I still love the hell out of Morrowwind, it doesn't get much deeper than that game. You want something that beckons replay and open-ended, and isn't like 7 hours long, get that.

Aeon
Fri, 10-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Fable is actually longer ifyou take the time to enjoy the game and not just do the main story and teleport everywhere. I spent 3hrs today doing the (small spoiler)

Find my sister mission, it's way more fun traveling the world by foot and killing all the bandits, belverines, wasps and trolls, hobbs and evil fairy things. I also found a new place that had zombies coming out the ground.

Shippou-sama
Sat, 10-09-2004, 02:59 AM
Huh? Oh, right, I can only assume you mean me, since I'm the only one with fewer than 100 posts. Well, where to start . . .

Post counting? I'm sorry, I thought the rest of the thinking world had moved past that. Guess I'll just have to spam topics for awhile. Because clearly only a large number of posts can support an opinion.

I haven't been here long enough to contribute an opinion? I thought I just had? I suppose I must be rusty on . . . umm, having opinions? Eh, I'm sure you knew what you meant when you first thought of it . . .

Whip me so hard . . . umm, how about no? Yeah, just no. I'm not even sure how you expect to become famous for anything you do on this board. Clearly you feel that this board is of the utmost importance, with 3 different channels of CNN dedicated to it, and 2 UN officials monitoring it at all times.

I don't really mind most games. In fact, I'm even willing to stomach most "bad" games if there's a compelling reason, or perhaps an intriguing feature that I'm interested in. Def Jam, however, failed. I played it 3 seperate times, twice in multiplayer, once in single player. I found no reason to return to the game on any of the instances (to explain, my friend has the game, and enjoys it; he asked me to play it, so I did).

To say that a story "wasn't half bad" is to say that it wasn't worth your time. Well, my time anyway. Which is not to say that my time is more valuable than anyone else's (far from it), just that I try not to waste my time on something that "isn't half bad."

"fable didn't live up." Live up to what, exactly? Hype? Of course not. I am hard pressed to think of anything that lived up to the full extent of the hype surrounding it. Your expectations? Well, that's an opinion, and you're clearly entitled to it. That doesn't mean I'll listen.

And for the complaint of it being too short . . . it seems you're missing the point. It wasn't supposed to be the greatest challenge a power-gamer ever faced. That's not what they advertised. It's a game in which you can live out the life of your character. The hack-and-slash is there for people who like that, but it's not the selling point. The rare items and powerful equipment are there for people who like that, but it's still not the selling point. It was advertised, and thusly sold, as an open range RPG, similar to Way of the Samurai.

Now, in the meantime, I do apologize for the . . . attitude with which I made my previous comment. I admit that it was uncalled for, and that's what I get when I post without thinking. In the meantime, my opinion still stands.

Assertn
Sat, 10-09-2004, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by: Shippou-sama
I am hard pressed to think of anything that lived up to the full extent of the hype surrounding it.
all i have to say to this line.......

is metroid prime and smash bros

chambers
Sat, 10-09-2004, 04:05 AM
ssbm didnt at first more people like it now they relize how deep it is supposedly......i think its trash i just prefere quicker bouts of one on one that doesnt include random weapons and stages that can kill you.

hey still only plyaed abit of fble but its really looking top so far.

KameronFrye
Sat, 10-09-2004, 06:43 AM
Hehe, you've been here less than a month. It's ok. You simply don't know any better. You apparently have relations with Fable that may not be quite legal in some states, and that's fine. I dislike it, and that's all gravy too. But don't try attacking my opinion on a game simply because you blow at, makes you look like an ass. =b

As for Fable, I got everything I wanted to do in the game done in less than a week. %70 of it was done with my first character. If I wanted to impress people with gifts in a game, get married, and own a house, I'd buy Sims 2. I want a branching story where when I kill a pretty important NPC, it alters the course of events in the game, as promised when the game was conceived. It's nice to see my guy look more evil as I kill random people, sure; but I was over the killing random people thing when Grand Theft Auto III came out, that's hardly "new" material to me. Reading into a game to find out neat stuff about a tattoo? If I wanted to spend 5 hours reading in the process of playing a game, I'd play Myst. I do not fall in with the massive hype behind this game, although I know people who have. Which is why I've stolen better games from them while they come to their senses. Tales of Symphonia is nice. It's not Final Fantasy VI nice, but in the end, nothing ever is. Best story ever right there. Shit, Deus Ex had half the hype and boasted twice the game. That is a game you can play through twice and absolutely have a different experience all together. I've played through it a good 6 times and came out with a different path each time. And they spent half the time developing it compared to Fable. The only new thing to this game, imho, is the evolution of a guys face/body as far as aging, battles, and so forth; which is quite cool, no doubt, but not worth $50.

Metroid Prime 2 looks nice. I'm still looking for some stuff on the FMA GCN game, thought it was supposed to be something like the Naruto GCN ones. Getting either THUG2 or Donkey Konga this week, maybe both if some work comes through tomorrow. Can't say there's much for RPG goodness coming up, other than FMA here... forgot when, not any time soon I'm sure. I'm more stoked about music right now than anything. Ohyah, Halo 2. The simple fact that it's online is enough goodness for me, and the variety in weaponry/dual wielding. Online Legacy Co-op, anyone? =b

Shippou-sama
Sat, 10-09-2004, 12:24 PM
*sigh*

I wrote yet another long post. Then I stopped to think about it before I actually clicked "reply to topic."

It really isn't necessary to keep going, as we both realize we'll never convince the other person.

I am, however, mildly disappointed that you go from post counting, to making baseless accusations about me based on my registration date. <boggle> I didn't start learning anything until I joined this forum. I've learned everything I know in the last twenty-ish days. So, since you've been here longer, you clearly are a better person? O_o </boggle>

In lighter news, I must agree with you on Deus Ex. It is a great game. It's a fair bit better than Fable. That doesn't make Fable a bad game.

Assertn
Sat, 10-09-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by: chambers
ssbm didnt at first more people like it now they relize how deep it is supposedly......i think its trash i just prefere quicker bouts of one on one that doesnt include random weapons and stages that can kill you.

hey still only plyaed abit of fble but its really looking top so far.

well then uh.......why dont you............turn off the items and always play the FINAL DESTINATION stage?
there was actually a half-year period where me and my friends did just that, and you can HARDLY blame your loss on randomness in that situation.

chambers
Sat, 10-09-2004, 01:34 PM
yeah fables been a bit grat for me so far. but it does have its flaws. it seems to me like magic will be massivly overpowered in the game (iam using bow an arrows and still lighttning is a strong move without any upgrades its stronger than my normal attack

Shippou-sama
Sat, 10-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Admittedly, SSBM is the only game I'll miss on the Gamecube.

Koyuki
Sun, 10-10-2004, 03:34 AM
I think Fable is great. Maybe because i havn't heard so much about it. But it was
Peter Molyneux who talked about how great it was going to be.

Still it's a really great game.

kaigan
Sun, 10-10-2004, 02:32 PM
Fable is the shitznit. the game is way longer if you take the time and explore. And you can be evil......... very very evil........... hehehe

i mean how many times can you kill your sister and get the best sword in the game? still i couldn't time it right to get the skorm's bow...... damn it

Aeon
Sun, 10-10-2004, 05:06 PM
WTF you can kill her and get a sword??? How and when do you do it cause I already did the mission to fight dual sword or twin sword when she revealed herself as the seer.

KameronFrye
Mon, 10-11-2004, 02:43 AM
You have much to learn, my young Padawan apprentice. =b

It's later on in the game, the sword is admitedly hoss.

Tales of Symphonia is taking care of me nicely, but I'm waiting for the FMA game right now.

May have to get Tribes: Vengeance.... temptation... turning... soul... black... must... set... turrets...

chambers
Mon, 10-11-2004, 05:29 AM
i actually changed my mind about fable last night afte ran extended play sesion. one of the things i like most was the games AI in the village's the way the know who you are.....but its just bullshit to be honest. heres why. first of all the villagers call you a name, i believe the default is chicken chaser (if you chased/kicked chickens or not) the only way to change this name is to BUY a new one. WTF? thats not clever. its like saying oh ill be called ranger for today then buying it. the names should have been given out by your actions much like the redundant description you have. another point ithought was goo at first was how the people reacted to you when you were evil, i was walking through a village and people were runing away scared! but then i left the village and found some new clothes with a high attractive rating popped them on and voila men and women alike were falling at my feet. did they just forget the fact i was thrown ou of the town? or that i was just minutes ago punching them in the face? its not a clever system they react to the clothes you have on. nothign to do with your actions. i know right now (not being very far into the game) that i wont replay it. begin good or bad effects the way you play VERY little. you dont have changeing storys for each good and bad. heck even BG has a more differing storyline when being good and evil compared to this. fighting is fairley decent but theres so little variety in weapons and versions of each weapon (such as sword for example i have encountered 3 types and wouldnt be surprised if there were only 5 in the entire game). it also seems there is no peanalty placed on your magic skills for taking traits in physical options when you level up, or vice versa. so effectivley you can master everything, or at least be proficint with it all.

Assertn
Mon, 10-11-2004, 12:11 PM
yeah, the first impression i had with fable was that every time you play, its a different experience.
but i was wrong

chambers
Mon, 10-11-2004, 12:55 PM
yeah i mean its so much so the same game that you could effectivley stara new game and save it after 15 mins and everytime you playa new game end up with the so called "diffrent" game each time. all thats diffrent is your alignment. even BG STRIPS fable in terms of having a diffrent game each time and it was released what 6 years before fable? iam so disapointed i dont even think ill copy this game, i was going to keep the original but not ne more....