PDA

View Full Version : Lost using bt

jcue
Sun, 09-26-2004, 01:31 AM
Hi,

I'm new to all of this...so i have no idea how to download anything or how to set up anything. I downloaded BT but i don't know how to set it up. If anyone can help me out i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks,
jcue

Kakafosha
Sun, 09-26-2004, 04:45 AM
well, you just pretty much download and install it into a directory. once you do that its pretty much done. all you have to do is click torrent links which usually look like this:

example: http://www.someurl.com/NameOfFileAndSomeOtherCrap.torrent

once you click a .torrent link it'll automatically start bittorrent and ask where you want to save your file. you just wait like any other normal download and it'll say Finish somewhere (not sure which bt program you have, theres lots of them) on the program and then you're done! it may take a while to connect to peers and you'll get a slow download speed. it'll usually start off really slow but just wait a few minutes and it'll start going faster unless there are no seeders (people who are uploading).

the only thing i can imagine thats stopping you is if you didnt install it correct. if my instructions didnt work for you i would suggest downloading bt again and saving it to your desktop and just double click it and install it again.

NM
Sun, 09-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Also, if you have router, make sure you route ports 6881-6999 through it. Go to this website: Port Forwarding (http://www.portforward.com). When you go there, choose the type and model of router that you have (routing ports through routers are different for all of them) and follow the instructions (but remember, your port forwarding 6881-6999). Then do what Kakafosha said and you should be good.

jcue
Sun, 09-26-2004, 05:17 PM
thnx...i. really appreaciate it.

jcue

Foomanchew24
Mon, 09-27-2004, 02:27 AM
if you have a software firewall (like mcafee or norton or whatever) or microsoft firewall you should forward the ports through those programs as well.