PDA

View Full Version : difference between ketchup,catsup and tomato sauce

jimmymasaki
Wed, 09-22-2004, 02:59 AM
okai, i had no idea there was such a thing called catsup, so i totally got Mr Burns confusion between the two in the episode of The Simpsons where he's like.. flipping out coz of the two apparantly similar products.
so i ask.. is there actually a thing CALLED catsup? and if so what on earth is it?
okai, the ketchup and tomato sauce difference... a lotta people tell me there is a huge difference in taste between the two.. personally i taste no difference.. but for some reason i always buy tomato sauce..
which ones do people get... AND is there a difference?

Kakafosha
Wed, 09-22-2004, 03:03 AM
i heard like catsup is like a fancier form of ketchup...haha? i think they're pretty much the same, never tried catsup but it sure looks the same as ketchup. whats even more interesting than that is "banana sauce" its actually red and in a ketchup glass type bottle. now thats crazy.

jimmymasaki
Wed, 09-22-2004, 03:07 AM
fancier??? how can you make ketchup fancy? unless you mean as in the name of ketchup fancy.. o_O
WHY would you make ketchup fancy??? o_O man marketing people are really crazy... what IS going on inside their heads??? do they want to corrupt the world by confusing consumers about all the choices of tomato stuff you can buy??????
man i thought having green tomato sauce was crazy.... banana sauce that's red??? whoa! haha! everytime i think of banana i think of Apu going crazy at Marge for bringing over banana bread.......[i love The Simpsons]

Eurasian
Wed, 09-22-2004, 03:09 AM
i guess what?? catsup is real. Definition of Catsup (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=catsup)

ketchup is thicker than tomato sauce. ketchup is more sugar maybe. as a condiment, then i would get ketchup but tomoto sauce is for spaghetti sauce or something.

jimmymasaki
Wed, 09-22-2004, 03:11 AM
hrm, nah tomato sauce doesn't work too well in spaghetti sauces... tomato paste is good for that kinda stuff...
wow.. thanks for the catsup def eurasian.
soo... the question of whether people can taste the difference.....??? i surely can't

Eurasian
Wed, 09-22-2004, 03:23 AM
they just like to make names for the same thing. maybe in different regions they say catsup instead of ketchup. like hurricane, cyclone, and typhoon r the same thing. do u get my point? i don't know if i'm making sense...

Kakafosha
Wed, 09-22-2004, 03:24 AM
catsup is made out of cats

jimmymasaki
Wed, 09-22-2004, 03:40 AM
haha! u noe at first i actualli thought it was made outta cats.. but i figured americans wouldnt risk cruelty to animals...
there actually is a difference between hurricane,cyclone and typhoon, very minimal thou... wait.. then the whole region thing would make sense eh coz the minimal difference between the two is where it's formed... -_- sorrie man.
man!!! WHY do they like to make differenet names for the same product???? MARKETING PEOPLE ARE EVIL!!!

Shi_No_Shikaku
Fri, 09-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Maybe it Trademarked

SK
Sat, 09-25-2004, 09:03 AM
dumbest. thread. ever.
ketchup/catsup= same thing (catsup more old fashioned word)
tomato sauce= for pasta/lasanga etc, its not like ketchup...

G-Pong
Sat, 09-25-2004, 10:34 AM
Yeah no shit. Ketchup/Catsup tastes nothing like tomato sauce, WTF man.

jimmymasaki
Sun, 09-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
dumbest. thread. ever.
ketchup/catsup= same thing (catsup more old fashioned word)
tomato sauce= for pasta/lasanga etc, its not like ketchup...

says the dude who even bothers commenting to this thread. all i wanna know is if people can taste the difference...

Originally posted by: G-Pong
Yeah no shit. Ketchup/Catsup tastes nothing like tomato sauce, WTF man.

which is an answer i want.. but i also asked which one people prefer as well.. so if u'r trying to be smart, the least you can do is answer the question.. which makes me ask another one and how the hell does it TASTE different?

basey44
Sun, 09-26-2004, 08:38 AM
man i cant tell the differance between tomato sauce and ketchup( although ive only ever had ketchup from McDonalds so its probably instant ketchup or something cheap like that) wtf is catsup, is it the same thing

tomato sause isnt for pasta and stuff, thats tomato paste, sauce isnt thick enough, sauce is for pies and sausage rolls and stuff
i know im from australia and many people believe thats all we eat, and that we live with kangaroos and koalas in our backyards

jimmymasaki
Sun, 09-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Maccas in australia sells ketchup???? wow! i always get tomato sauce man.
far out! finally someone who realises that tomato sauce is NOT for pasta! thank you!

G-Pong
Sun, 09-26-2004, 02:24 PM
You just can't explain things to foreigners. As to what I prefer, depends what the food is. I wouldn't put ketchup on spaghetti, but I would put tomato sauce on it. On the other hand, I would put ketchup on a burger, but I would never put tomato sauce on a burger.

jimmymasaki
Mon, 09-27-2004, 08:02 AM
oh G-Pong you xenophobic person... neways, you never know unless you try!!
don't put tomato sauce on spaghetti!! who the hell wants a sweet pasta??? oh well, i dunno how the hell you make your pasta...
so you would buy both?? kinda wanted a more preference of which you would buy practically... and not like.. if you had the luxury. neways

kAi
Mon, 09-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by: jimmymasaki
Maccas in australia sells ketchup???? wow! i always get tomato sauce man.

they sell ketchup in maccas in oz...first i heard of it.

basey44
Mon, 09-27-2004, 08:27 AM
maybe they changed it now cos i havent bought sauce of any kind from there for a few years now, but u used to get ketchup in little red foil packets

kAi
Mon, 09-27-2004, 08:33 AM
ahh yeah...i think i remember...i havent seen them in years...you might be still able to get it...but meh..i just eat there burgers anyway.

jimmymasaki
Mon, 09-27-2004, 08:35 AM
realli? i coulda sworn wot i got in the little red packets said... oh wait.. maybe it did say ketchup...
man maccas has gone downhill.. i mean... the salads plus menu?? what the hell?? i mean.. yeah it's good that we're concerned bout health... and maccas needs customers.. but like.. since when did maccas feel like being guilty for selling artery clogging crap?

kAi
Mon, 09-27-2004, 08:38 AM
ever since everyone is turnin fat and blame maccas for obesity problems...
haha

but who cares the only food i wanna eat at maccas is the fatty shit!!

SK
Mon, 09-27-2004, 08:42 AM
ahhhh euros so that explains it, fuckin geniuses think food is the same everywhere in the world i guess...

basey44
Wed, 09-29-2004, 04:45 AM
has anyone actually bought something from the salads plus menu?, personally i wouldnt touch the stuff, id much rather have a grease burger, did i say grease burger i meant quarter pounder

jimmymasaki
Wed, 09-29-2004, 08:18 AM
i've bought the breakfast cereal there. man such a friggin waste of my... forgot how much it cost. but i was thrilled that they served it to me even if it was like 2pm.. dunno why they did thou.
neways.. the burgers are better at hungry jacks (i noe that sounds lame.. but they SOOO are! nothing compares to the whoopers!)

basey44
Fri, 10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
hahaha hungry jacks have the greasiest burgers ever, get a double cheeseburger with bacon, grease to the max

jimmymasaki
Fri, 10-01-2004, 08:49 AM
mate they have the coupon deals on right now! YAY! hungry jacks rule! thou i'm more of a chicken fan than a bacon fan.. unless it's for breakfast!