PDA

View Full Version : Does reading the manga decrease your satisfaction of watching the Anime?

DeathscytheVII
Tue, 09-21-2004, 10:35 PM
The title pretty much explains it. I've been watching the anime only up to the Chuunin exams, and at that point i was pretty much blown away by Naruto!

it was then that i discovered the manga and how utterly amazing the Naruto Vs. Gaara and 3rd vs Oro fights were. However, once they started showing in the Anime, they did not have the same profound effects on me as the earlier epis did.

Does reading the manga ruin the anime for you? I recall many people complaining about how they were disappinted with the Tea country saga, or how they did not like how a certain Episode was portrayed. Would we say the same thing if we never read the manga? Just an observation, but people who complained about the episode. I am sure that a good chunk of those ppl are manga readers.

So, is reading Manga sucking the enjoyment out of watching the epis? i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif or has the plot of Naruto truly fallen from being absolutely spectacular, to just above average?

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 09-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Well, the manga has been picking up for awhile, and I think it's back to spectacular, in fact, the best this series has to offer thus far. Opinion varies widely on this, but the arc we're currently in, that makes me say this is not over, and I think we'll all be of mind on this once it's over. As far as the manga sucking the enjoyment out of the anime is concerned, for me, the answer is yes. I gave a pretty detailed explanation as to why in the "is this a good time..." thread. It's still on this page, and my post is one of the first ones, so you don't have to look too far if you're interested to see why. However, in the manga forum, I don't think you're going to find many naysayers. I think I was the only one in the other thread, so you might want to pose this question in the anime forum if you want answers from more than one side.

Terracosmo
Tue, 09-21-2004, 10:58 PM
That's a very invidual question. Some people thinks it enhances the experience if you sit there waiting for the cool stuff to appear on your monitor. On the other hand, it breeds those "OMFG THIS IS FILLER!11" morons. For me it's 50/50. But the reason I read the manga is mostly that I'm an impatient bastard.

BTW your sig is too big. I've PMed you about that before I believe. So please fix it. Max sizes: 400x80.

jing
Tue, 09-21-2004, 11:02 PM
To tell you the truth, it doesn't really enhance the anime. It just made me realize how much shity the anime is to the manga.

HimizujinEternia
Wed, 09-22-2004, 12:28 AM
I guess I'm the opposite of Jing. It's my opinion that Naruto works much better as an Anime. The way the combat works practically requires it, and quite often the Anime, with it's outstanding music score and voice casting, has dramatically improved some of the most dramatic events in the manga.

Eurasian
Wed, 09-22-2004, 01:00 AM
what's good about the anime is the animated fight scenes. for story and art, the manga is good.

Kumiriko
Wed, 09-22-2004, 01:08 AM
No. I still love watching the serise. I look forward to eps even more then before i started reading the manga.

Hakeem_21
Wed, 09-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Not for me beside i like the manga more cause the animated versionen doesnt look as good.
The only thing anime has that is better the manga is the music.

I look more forword to the anime after reading the manga for example the recent kyubi powers will intresting seeing it animated.

Aion
Wed, 09-22-2004, 07:23 AM
Makes me like the anime more. Cause I don't like reading manga.

kAi
Wed, 09-22-2004, 07:41 AM
ive always liked to read the manga of any series really...i just like the feel the manga gives...
i also like the animations and stuff..from the anime, but too often you see the story deviate from what it is supposed to be...which i dont like but sometimes you get some nice suprises...and then other times your pissed off!! but its cool to see some of the scenes you liked animated..

but i rather the manga...

Winged Dancer
Wed, 09-22-2004, 11:54 AM
It depends.

There are some parts which I like way better in the manga.

There are others which are simply amazing in the anime.

For instance, the Naruto vs. Gaara fight.
I didn't like it in the anime when Naruto transforms Gamabunta into a fox, I liked that part way better in the manga.
But when you see Gamabunta's sword, and Gaara and Naruto's reflection on it, as if they were just one person - that was great in the anime!!
Also, once the Third was dead - the ceremony was exclusive to the anime and was rather touching.

I don't mind the filler chapters... granted the last one (with Kakashi's mask and that) was rather stupid, but the Tea Country thing doesn't sound that bad.

Finally, the fight scenes can be a little confusing in the manga, the anime helps clear some things up sometimes.

Knives122
Wed, 09-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
That's a very invidual question. Some people thinks it enhances the experience if you sit there waiting for the cool stuff to appear on your monitor. On the other hand, it breeds those "OMFG THIS IS FILLER!11" morons. For me it's 50/50. But the reason I read the manga is mostly that I'm an impatient bastard.

BTW your sig is too big. I've PMed you about that before I believe. So please fix it. Max sizes: 400x80.

I agree with what he said

LobsterMagnet
Wed, 09-22-2004, 06:16 PM
I love the anime much more then the manga. The music the voices makes a far more stirring experience then squinting at a few still frames trying to figure out what the hell the characters are doing. This is especially difficult during the big fight scenes. Reading the manga has ruined the anime for me.

Then again it's in my nature to be inclined towards spoilers so no matter what I do if there is some sort of way I can get further in a storyline I enjoy I will do it. Hell I read an early draft of the star wars episode II script weeks before it came out. I may be ruining naruto for myself but I got to know what happens next.

It's also interesting to see whats added and taken out when scenes from the manga are animated. I still watch the anime but I would probably enjoy it more if I had not read the manga but I can't wait a whole week for each new episode.

PossiblE
Wed, 09-22-2004, 06:28 PM
To answer the topics question, yes.

PSJ
Thu, 09-23-2004, 09:50 AM
i read the manga because manga is at least 10 times better. and thats a rule not an opinion.

Hotsuma
Thu, 09-23-2004, 10:00 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~uchiha/sakura-hot.jpg

This topic has been concluded.

DeathscytheVII
Thu, 09-23-2004, 11:36 AM
i believe that classifies as spam Hotsuma i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif what is your fixation with that picture anyway?

Good points btw everyone, but since i started anime watching the actual shows, i kinda find it depressing that the naruto anime doesn't live up to the expectations of the manga reader.

Im thinking of stopping my manga reading after this arc hehe, so that i can allow the anime to catch up and see where i can go from there.

PSJ
Thu, 09-23-2004, 01:55 PM
okay hotsuma if you dont stop posting that picture soon its gonna be overused just like the "sasgay" comment and the "udon" comment. noobs will pick up on this and start posting it all over the forums.

jing
Thu, 09-23-2004, 05:28 PM
I remember seeing the towel screenshot with her mouth open, i like that one better.

Mr.X
Thu, 09-23-2004, 10:00 PM
manga is much better for the recent fight scenes in the anime. for example, the naruto vs. kabuto fight scene. in the anime, naruto took like a fucking hour to form the rasengan. in that time kabuto could have kicked naruto in the balls and ran.

my point is that the anime seems to make things much slower.

basey44
Thu, 09-23-2004, 10:02 PM
well they do have to fill 20 mins, look at ep 101

Stoopider
Fri, 09-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Yes. To some extent that I know whats going to happen next.

But the anime's still brilliant. Making the anime not 'fantastic'.. but still a ' great joy' to watch.

Hotsuma
Fri, 09-24-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya
okay hotsuma if you dont stop posting that picture soon its gonna be overused just like the "sasgay" comment and the "udon" comment. noobs will pick up on this and start posting it all over the forums.

That's a good thing. =D

Jing : I have that screenshot of her naked, heheh.

Btw, I'm going to stop watching the anime until something interesting happens again.

?igma
Fri, 09-24-2004, 10:13 AM
I always wonder ..How do those Japanese kids respond ...Seeing the anime fucking up their manga's and their manga's getting more DBz with time ..

I would protest ..maybe commit suicide to force them to stop the madness ._.

HimizujinEternia
Fri, 09-24-2004, 10:15 AM
Come to think of it, what ARE the TV ratings and manga sales of Naruto recently? I know for a time it was doing quite well...

perhaps when I'm not tired and in need of a shower and have no class I'll do a bit of research...

~Greed~
Sat, 09-25-2004, 07:14 PM
The manga is many times better than the anime (imo). The anime has too much fillers, the story drags on so much that it's freaking boring. The manga is much faster; probably because in the manga, it is possible to switch to another scene immediately without wasting additional frames. The anime always add a few extra minutes into useless scenes in order to blend; Orochimaru vs. Hokage is a perfect example, or focusing on a bird flying across the screen before an important fight (Somewhere in the Chuunin Exam).

Daniel of Lorien
Sun, 09-26-2004, 01:23 PM
The manga and the anime are nearly identical... with the exceptions of a few fillers I think that I watch the anime to see the manga in action... it's not like some other anime where the story is diffrent( Steel Angle Karumi)

SK
Mon, 09-27-2004, 08:49 AM
yes. i dont watch the anime as much anymore. manga>>>>anime.

Cyrano
Tue, 09-28-2004, 01:08 AM
Yes, the anime is far less enjoyable since i started to read the manga.

archAvenger24
Sat, 10-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Actually it only makes it better for me. The only bad thing that comes out of reading the manga is I get alot more pissed when there are filler episodes.

originalkrn
Sat, 10-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
I read the manga is mostly that I'm an impatient bastard.

Yes, thats the main reason for me too. lol. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif.

The anime eps for me have much more of a powerful effect than does the manga. For example: in the manga when the hokage died, i was indifferent, but in the anime i felt some emotions of sadness. the anime just has more of an impact because of the music and all that other good stuff. It doesnt matter tho. In the end i still wait every friday for the next manga chapter to come out.

mage
Sun, 10-10-2004, 10:30 PM
i think the manga is much better. The anime is pretty censored compared to the manga and doesn't move as fast. The anime's animation sucks 50% of the time, which is very annoying. Remember how dispropotionate hokage was during his fight with Oro? Shit like that makes me prefer the manga.

LobsterMagnet
Mon, 10-11-2004, 12:11 AM
What are you smoking the hokage fight in the manga sucked. I had no idea wtf was going on in the manga but it was awesome in the anime. Yes the art work in certain sections sucked with the chubby hokage and chubby orchimaru but the animation kicked ass.

Hell eveyone who I've shown that episode to loved it. Only people like us with our embittered descriminating eyes can really detect any differences in the qualiy of animation. Plus you have the music which brings the whole experience to whole new level. The scene where the the third is deflecting blows in the dark while the music plays and you get the montage of all the generations of ninja in the leaf village. Nearly brought a tear to my eye.

Yes if there is one thing I'll give the manga over the anime is that it's much more violent and I agree I would prefer to not have the anime be toned down. But what can you do, it's on prime time television (although they didn't tone down the scenes with itachi one bit).

basey44
Mon, 10-11-2004, 07:19 AM
is it just me or has the direction of the anime changed since the start?
i think it used to be a bit darker yea, with more fluent fights and people would just die and get stabbed all over the place, i miss those days

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by: LobsterMagnet
What are you smoking the hokage fight in the manga sucked. I had no idea wtf was going on in the manga but it was awesome in the anime. Yes the art work in certain sections sucked with the chubby hokage and chubby orchimaru but the animation kicked ass.

Hell eveyone who I've shown that episode to loved it. Only people like us with our embittered descriminating eyes can really detect any differences in the qualiy of animation. Plus you have the music which brings the whole experience to whole new level. The scene where the the third is deflecting blows in the dark while the music plays and you get the montage of all the generations of ninja in the leaf village. Nearly brought a tear to my eye.

The fight in the manga was much better laid out. The Hokage died in one panel and the very next one they show Naruto simultaneously punching Gaara in the face that one last time with the words "A new leaf sprouts" above. That totally blew me away.

I will say the fight with 3rd and Oro was itself better, you could actually tell what the jutsus were doing, but all in all, I liked the manga of that much better.

PSJ
Mon, 10-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by: Hotsuma

Originally posted by: Pervert-Sennin Jiraiya

That's a good thing. =D

Jing : I have that screenshot of her naked, heheh.

Btw, I'm going to stop watching the anime until something interesting happens again.

im doin the same. i hate filler shit.

Jman
Mon, 10-11-2004, 01:16 PM
yeah the filler eps have been sucking. and how there was no eps. this week, it's only holding back the main storyline from progressing. i really wanna see the good parts that take place after.

EpoC
Tue, 10-12-2004, 09:56 AM
I'm enjoying the manga just as much as I enjoy the anime.
but I think this new arc in the anime is kinda unnecessary. IMO they should keep following the manga.

SilentSnake
Wed, 10-13-2004, 01:05 PM
i'm a new manga reader too, for one and a halfe year i was only anime naruto watcher, but now i've read the manga, and i'm satisfied.

this anime gone soooo wrong... it sucked so much that i just wanted to know what happens without childish games and stupid fillers, manga is a lot better imho, but i must say that those 60 chapters didn't do THAT much to the plot and i was a bit... disappointed, i thought that a lot more will happen, nonetheless it was a good choice and i'm 100% SURE of it, so - another one converted i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

kAi
Thu, 10-14-2004, 07:53 AM
i think it would have been hard to put some serious plot development into these chapters as it was more or less a fighting arc, seeing how these certain characters have progressed since the chuunin exam. i very much liked them. not really disappointed. i think the next arc is where alot of plot development is going to happen. and cant wait till they start rolling out the chapters so i can read.
the anime is very disappointing atm im thinking of how they can get back onto the manga, something needs to happen between naruto and sasuke, .i also think that this filler arc in the anime is going to finish soon as the current manga arc is coming to a close.

oscar
Thu, 10-14-2004, 04:14 PM
if i have to continue watching capy fillers, the manga is my only option to getting my dosage of naruto

Uzumaki Naruto
Thu, 10-14-2004, 09:21 PM
rethe manga is better then the anime, but it doesnt really ruin nothing for me, i pretty much feel the same watching it animated and reading it

Zoels
Sat, 10-16-2004, 10:03 PM
when reading the manga, it definately makes the anime dull. i read the manga up until the part where gaara and the other sand ninjas come back, but now i stopped. i recall watching the anime unspoiled was much more exciting and entertaining, so im waiting for the manga to catch up to be unspoiled again. hopefully i will be satisfied.

Deblas
Sun, 10-17-2004, 03:03 PM
It really doesnt matter to me i watch it all the same

drcitan
Wed, 10-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Damn I forgot to hit quote but OSCAR this is towards you.

Dude I know its hard but don't do it(Its gonna be sooooo hard). Don't get me wrong reading the manga is badass BUT when you watch the anime afterwards the magic.......is gone(50%). No more "suprises". You already know whats to come. But on the flip side the anime does sometimes have some scenes which are not in the manga depending on the episode of course. With all this being said thou I have to admit episode 71(the 1st, and 2nd Hokage vs. Sarutobi) the fight scenes were beautiful in the anime.i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif

injun
Thu, 10-28-2004, 02:49 PM
i would treat the anime and magna as two separate entities. You cna complain that the anime does not follow the magna, but thats about as retarded as complaining that book X was way better than its movie redition.

IMHO i would say the anime (when they are actually trying) is better than the magna, for me mere purpose that you get an illusion of how fast the hits are happening, and the music adds to the atmosphere. the best example of this is the rock lee vs garra fight. damn i still watch that one.

Hollow
Thu, 10-28-2004, 10:55 PM
I read 'em both. Well, watch one and read the other....erm.....Read AND watch one and read the other XD.
It builds up the excitement KNOWING whats coming and getting to see it animated. CLASSIC. (for me anyway....Jeeze I'm old...)