PDA

View Full Version : Review of Innocence

Himura_san
Sun, 09-19-2004, 06:43 PM
I got to watch Ghost in the Shell:Innocence last night and thought of writing a simple review on it.
First off the movie is in Japanses with english subtitles, which is a good thing IMO.
I will review this film based on different categories.

Animation: The animation is without question the best I have seen in an anime. They have blended 2D animation with 3D CG quite well. There are scenes that are amazing in detail, such as a scene in which Bateau and Togusa are in a city looking for an individual to interrogate and during this scene there is a parade in which large figures like dolls are shown. This particular scene is vibrant with colors and detail as the figures in the parade dance and march, while the background observers cheer.
There is also another scene at the beginning when Bateau is going after a "killer doll" hiding in an alley. The use of 3D to show him walking through the alleyway is quite nice. With all this innovation at times I felt that it was less of a movie and more of an art exhibit, which made it a little bit less compelling than it should have been.

Plot: The plot of the movie is simple. There are robots who have killed their owners, mostly people of high ranking and basically it is up to the 2 detectives at section 9 to get to the bottom of this. The problem here however is that the film does not take its course and keep it as simple as it should be. There are many scenes which left me confused, and there were many scenes that draw out and IMO did not add to the story. One particular annoyance was the scenes with Bateau's basset hound. It seemed like that the dog was the major character of the story since it had the most screen time. From what I understand the director has the same type of dog and wanted to give his dog "screen time", but doing so did not help the story at all. In fact it became an annoyance, after the nth time of seeing that mutt I wanted to find a basset hound and stomp it to death, yeah that's how annoying it became. There was also alot of metaphors and proverbs used throughout the movie, in fact too much! They quoted everything from confucious to making references of the Bible. Enough!!
Last thing regarding the story is that they did not develop on one aspect of it, I cannot say more because it will be spoiler but their is an unexpected cameo and that part is not fleshed like it should be.
All in all the plot was not nearly as good as I expected.

Sound/Music: The sound is quite good specially the BGM during intense scenes. The music used in the original GITS movie is also rehashed here, and works quite well specially during the parade scene.
There is also the song "follow me" by Kimiko Itoh a Japanese female Jazz singer, which I am now a fan of.

Action: The action scenes although few are quite grand. We have a showdown with the Yakuza as well as Bateau taking on scores of killer dolls. Not too extreme, however there is a decapitation scene, that's as hardcore as it gets.

Subtitles: The subs were quite good. I had left my glasses and was worried that I may not be able to read them but they were big enough for even a blind person like myself to be able to read them. There are some scenes in which the subs come and go quite fast, so you have to be a quick reader.

Conclusion: The movie delivered in terms of visual but missed in terms of story (maybe I need to rewatch it). If you are a GITS fan do check it out, if you are a fan of great visuals definitely check out! If you don't like stories that tend to have little direction then you may want to wait on it.

kAi
Sun, 09-19-2004, 06:51 PM
thanx for that...nice review.
makes me want to watch it now!

empT3
Mon, 09-20-2004, 12:39 AM
Went and saw the movie in theaters tonight, thought it was a tad bit too philosophical, like the characters weren't really talking so much as spitting out quotes at each other, other than that, one of the prettiest animes I've ever seen

Eurasian
Sat, 09-25-2004, 08:21 PM
i saw it today. yah kinda late but better late than never. i didn't read the review but yah i was happy it was subbed not dubbed. the animation is incredible. i was in complete awe when i saw it. the cities and the building and the inside of the buildings~ some of the parts reminded me of the matrix (more like existentialism). so of course i was confused at some parts. but it's all good. i like the movie. i really really love the animation.

KameronFrye
Mon, 09-27-2004, 11:24 PM
I saw it yesterday while at A.W.A., local art house was running it. I felt it belonged there. It may have been the subs, but *shrug*. Quick summation: Bad ass yet snobbish. The action scenes were nice, but there was too much in the department of verbal neandering with quotes of everything, that was 2/3s of the dialogue. The series is the best thing to watch, although the first movie is still bad ass.

Eurasian
Mon, 09-27-2004, 11:31 PM
yah, all the quotes confused me.

hikaru004
Tue, 09-28-2004, 11:07 AM
Since I have to drive to the next major city in my state to see this, is it worth the trip?

HaZMaTiK
Wed, 09-29-2004, 09:55 AM
i found this movie rather boring compared to the first one this one did have top notch visuals but the story was a tad talky and little action i mean i am all go for a complex story.

Eurasian
Thu, 09-30-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by: hikaru004
Since I have to drive to the next major city in my state to see this, is it worth the trip?
if u r big on visual then u should definitely go. the graphics r beyond amazing especially watching in the theaters. it's just not the same when u watch it on u comp ot something. but yah, i have to agree that the story wasn't as good as i thought.

ShinobiNeko
Fri, 10-01-2004, 01:43 AM
I would go and see it because the theater next to campus is playing it but it costs at least $10 and I don't want to spend that much since at home I only have to pay $5

hikaru004
Sat, 10-09-2004, 12:52 AM
Well I went. You guys were right. The story needed some fine tuning. It was too much philosphy and literature quoting for me. Graphics were great though. It was a good movie.

NewTaxes
Sat, 10-09-2004, 01:35 AM
sadly, I couldn't watch all of it without dozing off. Not gonna send anyone to see this. However, as with all the ghost in the shell related viewings, it can be discussed to an interesting depth.

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 10-09-2004, 03:24 PM
Personally I loved this film, first film I've seen in a while that I didn't get restless and wanted to turn off halfway through. I can see thats just me though...99.9% of reviews seem to say its good animation but the rest is disappointing, but then my taste in films can be somewhat eccentric...