PDA

View Full Version : Book: The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Assassin
Thu, 09-16-2004, 08:58 PM
i recently read this book after hearing from many, many ppl abotu its greatness, and i must say, they were not wrong.

however, im wondering if theres supposed to be like a second volume or soemthing that i dont know about. does it really end with them escaping magrathea (the lost planet) and then going to lunch at the restaurant at the end of the universe? i was hoping for an explanation about alot of the stuff....like who actually runs teh galaxy, and why zaphod beblebrox (sp) messed with his own brain?

if tehres like some wierd secret 2nd part to it, plz let me know.

Souryusen
Thu, 09-16-2004, 09:55 PM
There's 5 books in the series.. the next one is entitled "The Restaurant at the end of the Universe." It's a good read. So is its immediate sequel "So Long and Thanks For All the Fish." The last two books weren't as good in my opinion though.. you can probably buy a Hitchiker compilation pretty cheap.

Tofu #2
Thu, 09-16-2004, 10:04 PM
whats it about? and whos it by?

Assassin
Fri, 09-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Its by Douglas Adams. And its about the adventures, sort of, of Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect and Zaphod Beblebrox after the earth is blown up due to a beaurocratic screwup. Its pretty funny and definately worth a read.

@Souryusen: thanx for the info

Kagemane_no_Jutsu
Fri, 09-17-2004, 09:57 PM
I was gonna read it for summer reading but i never did. I still have the book, maybe i'll read it. But i wanna read the Da'Vinci code first, I heard thats an awesome book.

Himura_san
Sat, 09-18-2004, 05:30 AM
I am currently on the 3rd book(Life, the universe, and Everything) the second (Resturant at the end of the univerese) being my favorite. I was going to read the series at a later time, but found out that a movie was going to be made so I decided to read it rather than see hollywood's garbage version of it.

Mae
Sat, 09-18-2004, 02:20 PM
Douglas Adams is one of my favorite authors. @ assassin: you should definitely read the first 3 Hitchhiker books, a lot of things are revealed. Oh, and I'd skip the DaVinci Code, way overrated IMO. I read half and then tossed it.

The fourth and fifth Hitchhiker books are so-so. You may want to read the Dirk Gently novels instead, I enjoyed those too. Douglas Adams also wrote a book with Neil Gaiman, but that one is pretty weird. Anyway, I think I'll spam some Douglas Adams quotes now:

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Arthur hoped and prayed that there wasn't an afterlife. Then he realised there was a contradiction there and merely hoped that there wasn't an afterlife.

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.

It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Winged Dancer
Sat, 09-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Weird, I love that kind of humor (like Terry Pratchett) and yet I couldn't read the Hitchhiker's Guide. It just bored me.... what do you say people, should I just give it another try, once college is over and I have free time?

I liked the DaVinci code. Way, way different, its just another style, but enjoyable... specially if you are not christian or catholic or whatever.

Assassin
Sat, 09-18-2004, 11:40 PM
yep, definately give it one more go. how far did u get before u stopped last time? i usually have to read about 2-3 chapters before i can really get into a book

I liked the DaVinci code. Way, way different, its just another style, but enjoyable... specially if you are not christian or catholic or whatever.

what do u mean, especially if ut not christian? i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

Winged Dancer
Sun, 09-19-2004, 10:36 PM
I recommended it to a few friends and two of them stopped reading it because it was "too insulting", according to them. Why, I ask, and their answer was something like "How can he say Jesus was married to that @$%&# whore??" and the kind. I then remembered how religious they were and decided not to recommend the book to any other very-christian people I know.

Shi_No_Shikaku
Sun, 09-19-2004, 10:41 PM
You guy do know it's a movie also right????