PDA

View Full Version : Save bittorent, CD burners, and your IPods

Lefty
Sun, 09-12-2004, 02:07 AM
I learned about this rather recently and has me very concerned. Hollywood and the music industry is trying to over turn the Betamax ruling of 1984 whcih allowed people to own VCR's. This act allowed for the invention and advancement of Ipod's, TiVo, CD & DVD Burners, and the internet. If the act is overturned that will all stop, and give the Music and Movie buisness more chances of suing the individual person in an attempt to stop the sharing of music, video, and information. Though you might want to know about it. If you think this is not possible go Here (http://savebetamax.org/) to learn more. If you have the free time I do suggest signing up for the call into congress.

Shi_No_Shikaku
Sun, 09-12-2004, 02:17 AM
Is this the end....? Wait no thay can't reason just owning them is not illigal. And they lose reason the people who have the rulling beats on them having some over this idoms.

Assertn
Sun, 09-12-2004, 02:41 AM
yeah right........i'd like to see them try it

Koyuki
Sun, 09-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Will this concern only USA or the whole world? Anyways this is just stupid.
Can't producers of Cd & DVD burners, dvd/cd-r etc sue them because they'll lose money?

Lefty
Sun, 09-12-2004, 03:02 AM
yeah right........i'd like to see them try it

So would I but if it does pass you can only imagine what will happen. Granted IPods and shit like that won't be out lawed but ripping Audio CD's or burning DVD's and CD's will over time become more and more restricted. Also the advances in technology will be hindered as well. Programs Like Bitorrent will be shutdown and made illegal, that I'm sure of. It would take a huge national out cry and years of petitons and vote's just to get the fucking law undone. The likely hood is 50/50 on weather it will pass but enough of the industry has congress in it's pocket so time will tell.

To uzumaki: yes it would only effect the US initally, but over time the effects would be felt throughout the world.

Koyuki
Sun, 09-12-2004, 05:16 AM
Seriously, If everybody keep downloading stuff. They can't put us in jail. It will cost much more then Hollywood loses on piracy.

Good i hate those stupid bastards with thier pockets full of money i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif

Samanosuke
Sun, 09-12-2004, 06:19 AM
your a dumb ass, they cant stop the production of cd/dvd burners, bt, ipods etc. because your forgetting one thing - these can all be used for user created content.
durrrr, go sit in the corner with a dunce hat.

SK
Sun, 09-12-2004, 07:11 AM
^^^^lol, lefty just got OWNED

PSJ
Sun, 09-12-2004, 09:59 AM
this just sounds unreal to me.....

Lefty
Sun, 09-12-2004, 12:38 PM
Samanoske it's not that current technology would become illegal but BT is a program like napster so yes BT can be shut down and become illegal to use. On the side of IPods and Cd Burners no they would not become Illegal but highly restricted in what they can have burn, copied, or stores on them. Thechnology advancement of Data storage and transportation would take a huge hit and take several steps back. I'm not running around like some idiot saying the sky is falling but I giving a word of caution and concern to a group of people who might want to consider keeping an eye on the situation at hand.

The unreality of the all is just the problem people give the benifit of the doubt that congress would not be that fucking stupid to vote on it but as long as the industries have congress men in their pockets it has the definate possibility to get over turned.

Assertn
Sun, 09-12-2004, 02:09 PM
the government would never approve such a thing because its a hindrance to innovation. There are far too many technologies advancing in the field that would be hindered from such a proposal. they had a much better chance at success back when vcrs first came out, but they still lost

uzumaki naruto #1: did......did you just call us "stupid bastards with pockets full of money"? i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif

Lefty
Sun, 09-12-2004, 02:24 PM
No he called the industries stupid bastards with pockets full of money. On the side of it passing or not it's slim but It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it did pass, call me synical about politics.

Jakins
Sun, 09-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Their ultimate aim is to stream all services anyway, so they might get away with it to a certain degree some time in the future, even then you've always got ppl who will find ways around that. As for now, they might get a few little concessions, but nothing that can really make a difference.

AlbinoFury
Mon, 09-13-2004, 04:25 AM
uhh to overturn that ruling would overturn massive parts of the bill of rights, so i think we will be ok.

Rek
Mon, 09-13-2004, 06:55 AM
...I object!

I don't think much is gonna happen, just we are gonna see alot more "pay for movies" and $1 a song" no biggie, there will always be free shit, we just are gonna hafta look harder.

DB_Hunter
Mon, 09-13-2004, 06:59 AM
Obviously the bill of rights or whatever it is doesn't mean shit to corporate America, and lets face it they are they people who essentially run America. If profit was being hindered by something like that they would work to get rid of it, something like what they seem to be doing now.

I think if this does continue it will become a tug of war between the movie producing companies of Hollywood and the Music Industry, against the whole electronics production industry, the retailers and workers unions (if they exist), since these three will be the people who will lose out monetarily. I think the government would also lose out on tax revenue more in lost sales of these electronic goods than they would gain by preventing the spread of movies and music through the net. Oh yea, then throw in the ISP's as well, since they would lose customers, atleast for their faster broadband services.

In the end, I don't think the movie/music industry is strong enough to go against all these people, as well as consumer discontent. They might be able to do it by bribing officials involved in the process.

KaneInferno
Tue, 09-14-2004, 04:33 PM
i say...bring it on!!!
ill go underground and start an anime download service for the black market and become an infamous outlaw

then ill build an army of otakus and destroy the corprate world...

hahahahahahahahaha......

or not