PDA

View Full Version : Naruto 99 Doesn't Suck... (spoilers)

rainstorm
Thu, 09-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Well, everybody is calling 99 a filler ep. I have to disagree. I've seen people post anything from "Yet another pointless filler" to "just some more crap about Konohamaru." When I read the posts, I was thinking that the only reason I would get it is to make sure that my collection is complete. Then, I had the nerve to watch it, and here's what I have to say about it.

I think alot of people have simply come to expect action from Naruto. What you're finding in 99 is pure character development. If there were only action all of the time,some character developing a new technique, building tension, or leading up to action, I would be more than happy to stick the dreaded DBZ logo on it and drop all of the episodes, delete them from my hard drive, and look for the next anime that hasn't seen a US release. It's because of episodes like this that I consider Naruto to be a quality anime.

Let's see what we have going on here. First of all, Konohamaru is having problems letting go of his grandfather. For most of his life, the Third was the only parent figure he had. Of course he's going to have problems letting go of that. He also fears that the village is going to forget him, so he locks up the Third's room. Second, we have Rock Lee trying to make a decision of his further career as a Ninja. A person who's devoted his life to being equal to people like Sasuke without the ability to use chakra, of course this is important. And then, over all of this, you have the new Hokage trying to adjust to her new role. She's been around for a long time with scars of her own just looking out for herself, and now she's adjusting to being responsible for the whole village.

I'll say this. I don't think anybody who calls this episode crap would be able to say that they liked Neon Genesis Evangelion, since it was rifled with episodes like this.

Just my $0.02, probably worth less.

Eurasian
Thu, 09-09-2004, 12:25 AM
i don't think they need a whole episode to explain all that. that konohamaru thing doesn't really matter. u already know he's sad at the funeral.

i actually don't mind fillers. they're entertaining. but then, i do want a new arc to start soon.

hopeknight
Thu, 09-09-2004, 12:35 AM
What I want to know is why you needed to start a new thread to say this? This could have easily been posted in the episode 99 discussion thread.

I didn't mind the episode too much. I watch anime for Character development and plot, not for action. I think most people are complaining because the series isn't following the manga exactly like it used to. The fillers have the potential to be really good, I just don't think the anime has pulled off any particularly good fillers yet.

Krbadass
Thu, 09-09-2004, 01:22 AM
lizzocked.