PDA

View Full Version : Iaito and ME

Lefty
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Hey all. This goes out to all the kenshin on the forums. I just wanted to show off my new sword that has finally come after three months of waiting. Please note that I'am still new to Iaido and my skills are still low so don't make fun of me.

my mom took these pictures so they kinda suck. Sorry i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

http://img18.exs.cx/img18/5269/Iaito.jpg

Ki Ken Tai Ichi biyatch!!!

kAi
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:06 PM
nice sword...
send it to me...
how much did it cost you..?

Souryusen
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:12 PM
Very nice. I've heard that kenjutsu is an expensive art to take up, can only imagine how much all that gear runs.

Lefty
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:16 PM
It's NOT a real sword in the normal sense of the word. It's an IAITO which is a replica of a real sword made of zinc and aluminium alloy that weighs the same as a real sword and has no sharp edge. but yeah the sword was like three hundred, and that s cheap. the hakama and keiko gi were like four hundred all together. Kenjutsu hasn't been practiced since the meji era. it's evolved into iaido and kendo.

Souryusen
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Thank you for correcting me. This is what happens when one's knowledge of swordplay is limited to RurouKen and Mushashi's Five Rings.

I wish there was a way to just pick up a book and learn to do this sort of thing properly. I've heard it's very relaxing once you get into the routine.

kAi
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:21 PM
yeah 300-400 is cheap...
ive seen katanas worth thousands...and they say there real shinken(is that right) swords, made properly in japan, like back in that era...

Lefty
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:26 PM
Yes it is right. Shinken are only made to order and need to be registered wiht the japanese goverment. you jump through a lot of hoops to get one. the most expensive iaito is like two, three thousand but there almost made in the way as a real sword. A shinken is like eight to ten thousand. Like buying a friggen car. Better start saving up nowi/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

ShinobiNeko
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Nice sword/Iaito Lefty. Looks like it was worth the wait ^_^

Eurasian
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:59 PM
it has no sharp edge??? they just dull it a little but it's still sharp, isn't it???

Lefty
Sun, 09-05-2004, 10:17 PM
No it has no edge at all. it's made for begginers like me. but the tip of the blade can go through somebody if your not careful. I've cut my self when reseathing at the end of the kata.

Eurasian
Sun, 09-05-2004, 10:47 PM
oh, i didn't know that. thanks for telling me.

ouch. u better be careful or that finger can come off.

Lefty
Sun, 09-05-2004, 11:04 PM
"Your gonna shot your eye out" i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Nara Shikamaru VI
Mon, 09-06-2004, 08:09 AM
is it recommended to learn Iaito, if u've already learn kendo?? is iaito the one which teaches u how to draw your sword?? btw nice sword. i'll post a thread once i get my bogu i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

SK
Mon, 09-06-2004, 08:37 AM
badass

PSJ
Mon, 09-06-2004, 10:07 AM
nice, want one of those

Jman
Mon, 09-06-2004, 10:18 AM
nice sword. Lefty you look like you've really mastered the art in the second pic by the deep concentrated look you have

DB_Hunter
Mon, 09-06-2004, 10:43 AM
Dude stop meditating and start swingin!

NM
Mon, 09-06-2004, 11:06 AM
That sword looks sweet Lefty!

Aeon
Mon, 09-06-2004, 11:48 AM
Ohhhh I want a sword now.

Lefty
Mon, 09-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by: Nara Shikamaru VI
is it recommended to learn Iaito, if u've already learn kendo?? is iaito the one which teaches u how to draw your sword?? btw nice sword. i'll post a thread once i get my bogu
Yeah I would recomend iai to anyone especially people who do kendo. iai helps with your strike and give you a little more deapth to inot when ot attack and when to anticapate attack.

thats what all the meditation is fori/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Arcn3ss
Mon, 09-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Nice sword Lefty.

I have a set of three and another katana. I plan on going into Iaito when my arm heals. =D Hopefully it will heal.

Terracosmo
Mon, 09-06-2004, 04:15 PM
Awesome freaking sword. I envy you and Haku_san for owning blades. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Knives122
Mon, 09-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I was going to get a blade set(a sword, tonton,and I thing dagger thing) for my b-day, but my dad said I kill my relatives with them, So now hes only getting me a wooden one (like the one Kaurou used in R.Kenshin)

And now....Im finally a Jounin, Woot!!!1111

Darkflare
Mon, 09-06-2004, 05:55 PM
ive had a sword/tanto set thing for a long time now. its on a stand on top of the tv downstairs. no edge, with the sharp point, so i suppose they are what you call iaito also, eh?

Lefty
Mon, 09-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Most likely. There are iaito, then ther are those half ass reproductions made by americain or chinese companies.

Nara Shikamaru VI
Tue, 09-07-2004, 05:54 AM
just curious. in iaito, how do u guys practice?? do u guys use shinai or bokun or bokuto??

Lefty
Tue, 09-07-2004, 12:58 PM
Normaly you practice by you self in IAIDO since the level of danger someone getting hurt or killed is very high. You start out with a bokken learning the motions and then you advance to an IAITO sword so you can get the feel of drawing and seathing a sword. After many years of practice and advances through the ranks you reach 4th dan then you use a real katana. Shinai are aminly used in Kendo.

Bokun, bokuto, and bokken are all diffrent names for the same thing a wodden sword. Bokken being the most commonly used.

Shi_No_Shikaku
Tue, 09-07-2004, 08:04 PM
that a nice sword I just have a Wooden Dido

Aeon
Tue, 09-07-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by: Shi_No_Shikaku

LMAO I read that fast and Dido looked like something else.

Souryusen
Tue, 09-07-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by: Aeon

Originally posted by: Shi_No_Shikaku

LMAO I read that fast and Dido looked like something else.

Oww. Splinters.

Shi_No_Shikaku
Tue, 09-07-2004, 09:29 PM
no not quite...

ragnarokex
Tue, 09-07-2004, 10:23 PM
uhhhhhhhhhh u look a lil too old to live with ur mom hahahah

Lefty
Tue, 09-07-2004, 10:33 PM
I'm twenty and have graduated from collage so I don't have a job or a place to live except for home right now. It's exspensive to have an aparment in the area that I live. I hate the situation as well, but the job market in seattle for a digital video editor are few and far betweeni/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Plus in that picture I hadn't shaved for like a week so i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

ragnarokex
Wed, 09-08-2004, 12:12 AM
ROFL i was about to say u looked lik ur fuking 30 or older rofl

Lefty
Wed, 09-08-2004, 01:04 AM
30! Do I look 30. WOW.LOL. Thats a first, I've been mistaken for like 24 at the oldest. If I was thirty and still living at home I would be a Zombie cuz I would have killed my self at like 22. The beard and extra weight gives that older look.

ShinobiNeko
Wed, 09-08-2004, 01:16 AM
30? >.> hmm *rechecks images* no, don't think you look 30, to me look in your early 20's.

Nara Shikamaru VI
Wed, 09-08-2004, 03:58 AM
yo thanks alot for the info Lefty. might take up iaido once i'm 5 kyu or so.

Kakafosha
Wed, 09-08-2004, 04:03 AM
cool, i know if i had something like that i would be missing an arm right now

Shuurai
Wed, 09-08-2004, 04:58 AM
The only thing i got is a red oak bokken which i usually swing about randomly pretending i know what im doing, Anyway where did you get the sword from i would really like to check the site out.

Raven
Wed, 09-08-2004, 05:56 AM
Hey, one of my friends lived at home until he was 27, working full time and saving, and now he's just bought his own house. Can't laugh at him.

But anyway, back on topic: The sword is cool!

Lefty
Wed, 09-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Shuurai I got the sword at the samurai store .com

Shuurai
Thu, 09-09-2004, 03:49 AM
Thanks Lefty that site is the bomb

Elite Hentai
Fri, 09-10-2004, 11:02 AM
BRAG MODE ON *My father has a WOII made katana used in indonesia. The soldier that used it probably cut up a Dutch soldier (my ppl i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif) because it still has dried blood on it. The sword is still sharp. It was dull when I first saw it, but it sharpens itself when you pull it out; that's why it makes such a cool sound. He said I can have it when I'm a little older. Yeeeeeey!!!!* BRAG MODE OFF

He also has an Indonesian made replica. Yes, it is sharp and it sharpens itself but he's going to sell it. After taekwondo I stole a wooden stick that looks like a bokken from the gymnasium, so I'm going to practice a lot while watching Akira Korosawa movies. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Lefty
Fri, 09-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Normally swords don't automaticly sharpen them selves within the Saya when being drawn. Granted the wood that is used for the saya helps maintain the metal and the edge of the sword, but over time the blade will need to be cleaned at the very least if not resharpened. the fact that one sword still has blood on it has me worried. If it's a mild slighty opace stain then that is okay, but if the stain is a some what visable blood stain on the balde then you would want to get the sword polished by a profesionlay sword pollisher in japan. Cuz the blade will become severly damged, if it already hasn't been damged from the oxidation caused by the blood. Also, DO NOT USE THOSE REAL SWORDS TO PRACTICE IAIDO OR KENJITSU, YOU COULD HURT OR KILL YOUR SELF OR SOMEONE ELSE. also you can permantly damge the blade if not break it. Drawing, striking with, and resheathing with a real sword takes years of practice.

Elite Hentai
Fri, 09-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Ok the blood is very hard to see (still cool that there is blood on it though). Btw the sword is still in a good condition. Too bad I can't post pics because I don't have a digital camera.

Elite Hentai
Fri, 09-10-2004, 01:29 PM
sry double post

Lefty
Fri, 09-10-2004, 06:25 PM
Does the sword have a temper line along the edge of the blade. I fit does then the sword predates WWII it might even pre date the meji revolution and be an EDO period sword but I would need to see pic's of all the fitings and the blade with out all the fittings on it to see if it has been signed by the forger and confirm their period and make an estimate to when it dates back too. If the sword does not have a temper line then most likely it is a WWII sword.

Elite Hentai
Sat, 09-11-2004, 01:58 AM
Well, the sword is not at my house. My parents are divorced and I live at my mothers house. But I'm gonna try to get a picture as soon as I can.