PDA

View Full Version : Ahh!!!!! Sonofabitch!!!

Himura_san
Sun, 09-05-2004, 04:26 PM
I am fucking furious right now!!
I was beginning to watch Gunsmith Cats OVA and the media player all of sudden gave a CRC error!
I was like WTF!!

I go to the drive and see that all the files are there! But for some reason I could not open them in any of my media players.
So I "safely unmount" the drive, turn it off and turn it back on!

I go back to the drive and Lo & behold, I find a corrupt partition!!! Motherfucker!

Needless to say 36 Gigs of anime is lost!

I don't know if it was because I had my drive partitioned with Fat32, but now I have repartitioned the drive with NTFS to see if it is more robust. I did not look for any recovery tools b/c at the moment I was pissed and acted foolishly by just reformatting it. Is there any good recovery tools for this issue?

G-Pong
Sun, 09-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Oh no, I'm sorry about that i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Lefty
Sun, 09-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Thats why I don't partition my hard drives. Ever. But dude that sucks ass. I hope you can recover some of it.i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Assertn
Sun, 09-05-2004, 07:08 PM
actually partitions are more likely to help you than hurt you.....
for example, with my C drive partitioned off the 250 gig, i can reformat it whenever i need to, without having to worry about the other 220 gigs i have

Lefty
Sun, 09-05-2004, 07:25 PM
I have a seprate hard rive for all my anime and what not. I have bad experiences with partitioned hard drives.

Eurasian
Sun, 09-05-2004, 07:40 PM
i'm so sorry that u lost all that anime. something similar happened to me too. i got a trojan horse (5 of them) and i just reformatted instead of trying to recover whatever file i can.

joker-kun
Sun, 09-05-2004, 08:16 PM
This is the beuaty of Computer's. Don't feel bad, m computer has crashed twice in a month, plus a screwed another HD up [for reasons I will not say]. Jut redl th anime, and be sure to watch/burn it.

oceen246
Sun, 09-05-2004, 08:48 PM
Partitioning your hdd is actually better than keeping it in one piece. Himura_san
lost a partion, but it could have been the whole drive if it wasn't partitioned. I have 2 80gigs hdd partitioned into 5 each.

Raven
Sun, 09-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by: G-Pong
Oh no, I'm sorry about that
What, no forum cliche picture post? I love those!

Himura_san, that sucks dude. I know your pain all too well! I only hope you have lots of anime buddies who can bring you up to speed soon enough.

G-Pong
Sun, 09-05-2004, 11:41 PM
Sorry, I don't want Kagemane_no_Jutsu to get his panties in a bunch. Hopefully he is done PMSing soon.

Seriously though, if its a big deal, I will stop. If it's not, I'll do it every once in a while.

Himura_san
Mon, 09-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the sympathy guys. I have to say partitioning my drive actually helped me, otherwise it would have been 80 Gigs!!
Thankfully I have a cousin who is an otaku(loosely put) like myself. He had some of the stuff I lost.
The only things that I regret losing are the rare, hard to find shit that took me a while to d/l!
Since this I have reformatted my drive under NTFS and backed up a ton of other stuff that was unaffected!
Shit like this happened to me another time but it was a piece of shit Maxtor drive just before I was going to back up shit it crashed (lost 3 months work!!). I guess have to make it more of routine to do backups.

Eurasian
Mon, 09-06-2004, 10:25 PM
did u say MAXTOR?!?!?! those things r shit drives. i originally had a maxtor hard drive and it died within a month. so i exchanged it w/ the shop for free cuz one month is just way to short. once again another lousy maxtor drive died on me 4 goddamn months later. now i have this wonderful drive from hitachi and it came w/ a 3 year warranty.

thundrakkon
Mon, 09-06-2004, 10:47 PM
I feel you pain. I've heard a lot of horror stories with Maxtor. Personally, I prefer Western Digital or Seagate, with Seagate being more silent and Western Digital being quicker.

G-Pong
Tue, 09-07-2004, 08:50 PM
I have heard horror stories about all 3 big names: Seagate, Western Digital, and Maxtor. Currently I am running Maxtor it has lasted 2 years fine no problems yet. Just make sure you buy retail or have some kind of warranty on the thing. Im thinking about getting a 200gb Maxtor with the 8mb cache for my next HD.

Raven
Tue, 09-07-2004, 08:55 PM
Golden rule: don't buy Maxtor. A warranty won't help regain the data that you lose.

Eurasian
Tue, 09-07-2004, 08:59 PM
yes, don't buy maxtor. i hate maxtor...w/ passion!! i really recommend hitachi.

Elite Hentai
Tue, 09-14-2004, 12:28 AM
i can really understand how you feel. a few years ago i lost over 10 gigs of anime and i was totally freaked out the rest of the day. imagine what 36 gigs lost would do to me...

oceen246
Tue, 09-14-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by: G-Pong
I have heard horror stories about all 3 big names: Seagate, Western Digital, and Maxtor. Currently I am running Maxtor it has lasted 2 years fine no problems yet. Just make sure you buy retail or have some kind of warranty on the thing. Im thinking about getting a 200gb Maxtor with the 8mb cache for my next HD.

at that point, warranty really doesn't matter, cause they might replace your HD, but you won't back anyof the information you had on it

DB_Hunter
Tue, 09-14-2004, 07:28 AM
I have maxtor drives... they havn't failed me once...

I have a Hitachi TV... and that seems to have developed a fault of switching on and off sometime for like two minutes solid... or not even coming on at times...

Maybe its different in the US... im in the UK and maybe Maxtor drives are better here. The one's to watch out for, well in the past anyway were the 30GB IBM drives... my brother had 2 and they both failed.... now he has an 80GB Maxtor.

mythic
Tue, 09-14-2004, 08:49 AM
I've been using a maxtor for quite some time now, and I've had no problems at all. The only drive I've ever had problems with was my Quantum Fireball.. I think they named it that way for a reason.. namely it crashed and burned alot.

Jakins
Tue, 09-14-2004, 01:40 PM
I've used many makes. Th've mostly been fine. Biggest probs I've had have been with a western digital drive, which used to crash and ran far hotter than a maxtor it was paired with

G-Pong
Tue, 09-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Well back up your stuff man

Aclypze
Tue, 09-14-2004, 10:07 PM
sounds like you need a hug!

Uzumaki Naruto
Tue, 09-14-2004, 11:27 PM
dam that sucks, sorry to hear that, but shit man ive lost 100 gigs of anime it was no biggie to me bc i already had them burned out on disk. hope u can recover some of ur anime that was lost

Assertn
Wed, 09-15-2004, 01:09 AM
bah, i have 6 maxtor drives......and only one died on me......
and the one that died is just some 5 year old 15 gig drive that wasnt of much importance anyway. Since companies are so lenient about RMAing damaged drives, i'll just send it back soon and recieve a similiar (but probably better) replacement.

granted i'd rather stick with WD, but the difference in price usually outweighs the occasions where i actually had a problem of some sort.

KaneInferno
Wed, 09-15-2004, 10:34 PM
that sux...good thing that doesnt happen to me...

oceen246
Thu, 09-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by: KaneInferno
that sux...good thing that doesnt happen to me...

you never know when it will.......

r3n
Sat, 09-18-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by: Himura_san
I am fucking furious right now!!
I was beginning to watch Gunsmith Cats OVA and the media player all of sudden gave a CRC error!
I was like WTF!!

I go to the drive and see that all the files are there! But for some reason I could not open them in any of my media players.
So I "safely unmount" the drive, turn it off and turn it back on!

I go back to the drive and Lo & behold, I find a corrupt partition!!! Motherfucker!

Needless to say 36 Gigs of anime is lost!

I don't know if it was because I had my drive partitioned with Fat32, but now I have repartitioned the drive with NTFS to see if it is more robust. I did not look for any recovery tools b/c at the moment I was pissed and acted foolishly by just reformatting it. Is there any good recovery tools for this issue?

wussy. my hdd died and i lost 160gb of anime. you got off lightly