PDA

View Full Version : Gunbuster

Munsu
Sun, 08-29-2004, 08:17 AM
A couple of things...

I just finished watching the 6 episode OVA.... and I thought it to be tremendous and excellent... a very good piece of anime...

has anyone here watched this before?

I think that people that liked Hoshi no Koe (Voice of a Distant Star) will probably enjoy this series....

Also, it seems that a second series will be airing this November I can't wait for it, although i doubt it will be as good....

Well that's all... please post any comments about anything in this post... At least one of you has to be able to comment on this, i really want to now what you thought of this OVA

http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=185

thundrakkon
Sun, 08-29-2004, 01:13 PM
It was one of the first Anime's I've ever rented to see. It was also one of my favorites. Anime of this quality doesn't come around much anymore. The story was very emotional in the end, and science behind everything was amazing. Definitely something I recommend for everyone, but it's definitely more drama than comedy.

Yeah, I also heard of Gunbuster 2, but I don't have much hope of it having the same impact as the first one. I hope I am wrong. I would love to see a strong story line; not an updated, spazzed out comedy wanna-be that so many series are doing nowadays. Please don't turn my precious Gunbuster into a all girl and one guy series... i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif

Munsu
Sun, 08-29-2004, 05:17 PM
Those were my thoughts exactly... when I read the description for Gunbuster 2 I thought they were going to take away the dramatic elements of the series (which was by far the strongest point of the series) and replace them with more comedy instances....

thundrakkon
Fri, 09-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Here is the trailer for Gunbuster 2:

Gunbuster 2 Trailer (http://www.top2.jp/asx/top2_tokuhou_high.asx)

It looks ok. It might actually have some drama in it, but it appears that these are supernatural pilots instead of the normal human pilots in the original. The original series felt more realistic and down to Earth. I hope this new series can live up to it.

Munsu
Fri, 09-10-2004, 05:12 PM
yeah from the description i've seen it looks to have supernatural pilots... i wish they didnt go that way...

One of the strongest points of the first ova was the reality it presented...

Downloading the trailer now... thanks for the link

animefreak
Fri, 09-10-2004, 05:14 PM
Gunbuster? i never heard of it, had is been license or is can be still be download from website?

Munsu
Fri, 09-10-2004, 05:17 PM
no website, unless boxtorrents has it... get it from irc from zhentarim

the second series is not out yet...

BTW thundrakkon... the link is not working for me

thundrakkon
Sat, 09-11-2004, 01:36 AM
The link to the preview needs to be played by Windows Media Player, since it is one of those .asx extensions. Usually, I can only play an .asx file once before it doesn't work anymore. I would need to restart my computer for it to play again.

Sorry, it is such a pain, but this is what they are offering. I could try to convert it to .avi, but there is no place I can host it for you, since these files are usually large. My Road Runner site is a max 5 MB (it's included with my cable), and I haven't been able to get my home computer hosted site working in months (been busy with other things). If you are still having problems after restarting, PM me and I'll see what can be done.

Munsu
Sun, 09-12-2004, 12:18 PM
I finally was able to play the preview of Gunbuster 2... i just had to reset some file associations.... IE is stupid....

Humm.. I will hold most of the judgement until I start watching it... but my impression is that it is kinda stupid... and what really bothers me is how colorful it looks... they just had to ruin the reality the series presented with bringing a young female lead with white hair and another one with pink hair.... whatever happened to characters that were either brunnetts, black haired, or blondes (and the occasional red-head)...

They really will have to make a miracle plotwise because as i see it at the moment this is going nowhere... i dont even get the intense atmosphere that the first one presented... it just looks plain dumb....

Well now that all the negatives are out... I really hope that it succeeds as a real sequel... i hope they tie it up somehow to Noriko and Kazumi to make it a real sequel

thundrakkon
Mon, 09-13-2004, 01:24 PM
So do you know the timeline of the sequel? Is at after Noriko and Kazumi returned in the final episode, or is it sometime in between the final battle and when they returned?

Munsu
Mon, 09-13-2004, 01:42 PM
i really have no clue about the timeline... it would be cool if it were in between just before Noriko and Kazumi arrive after who knows how many thousands of years

Munsu
Fri, 09-24-2004, 10:17 PM
commerical subbed by Deathsquad

http://www.deathsquad.fansubnetwork.com/Aanime8/index1.html

thundrakkon
Fri, 09-24-2004, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the link, Bud. That song really made me feel nostalgic. Now I feel like I must go watch the original Gunbuster again (my friend has it, not me unfortunately).

These girls seem a bit young, and the lead girl reminds me of Akari in Battle Athletes Victory! I really hope they make it good, but the preview leaves me wondering...

Munsu
Fri, 09-24-2004, 10:46 PM
yeah... i hope they cant at least make it look as Melody of Oblivion... it has some sillyness but it still feels serious at some points...

You can get Gunbuster off IRC in #zhentarim if you want... that's where i got my versions (h-k rips though)

thundrakkon
Fri, 09-24-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the IRC channel, Bud, but I saw the original in English and feel I must remain true to that nature. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif I should probably just go out and buy the DVDs, if they still have them, because I don't think it would be that expensive at this point in time... I hope...

hybridchild
Sat, 09-25-2004, 12:40 PM
I just got it for 6 euro ($9 or so) the other day but i dont think its available in the US anymore though cause Manga lost the licence to it

Hybridchild

hikaru004
Sun, 09-26-2004, 10:23 PM
I don't think so either. But, a remastered edition is going to be sold in Japan next month. This could mean that a re-release in the US may happen.