PDA

View Full Version : Connection difficulty. Ports? Something else?

cnrivera
Thu, 08-26-2004, 11:40 PM
A couple months ago, I finally figured out the business concerning the ports. I forwarded my ports through my router as well as my firewall, and suddenly everything was fine and fast. Green light on the screen, everything.

Then suddenly, for apparently no reason whatsoever, my green light stopped coming on. I haven't seen it come on since late June. Downloading time sucks now. I haven't changed the firewall I have (sygate) or my router (linksys). I haven't downloaded a new bittorrent client. So I just can't figure out what would be wrong with it.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't mind going back and checking all my settings again if someone were to have instructions on what I should look for (I've forgotten what I did by now. heh)

Help would be SO very appreciated.

christina.

Varion
Fri, 08-27-2004, 03:39 AM
Some info on your setup would be nice (like your router manufacturer/model, private net setup, etc).

Have you had any extended power outages in June? It could be possible that your settings were lost in one.

Check to make sure your ports are still being forwarded properly for BitTorrent (Default ports: 6881-6889 for older BT prior to 3.2 and 6881-6999 on 3.2 and after.)

If you have your router set up for NAT, it should work fine.

And what exactly do you refer to for the "green light"?

stos289
Fri, 08-27-2004, 01:00 PM
Also, your Ip Address could have expired and you obtained a new one. See, your ISP gives you an Ip Address to use for a certain amount of time, and when it expires, you obtain a new one. Here's what you should do to check if that happened. Go to "Start," then to "Run" and type in "cmd" (without the quotes). A black screen should appear (DOS Prompt). In the that screen type in "ipconfig/all" (again without the quotes). If you see that you have a different Ip Address then the one that is set for port forwarding in your router's configuration, then you need to change it to the new Ip address that is there. Hope I could help.

P.S:@ Varion: I believe the "green light" that she told you about is basically an "informer" telling you how the Bittorrent connections are in the Bittorrent client "Bittornado." When it is a green light, its telling you that everything is fine. When it has a yellow light, it's telling you that you are having Router/NAT problems.

Varion
Fri, 08-27-2004, 02:12 PM
stos289: Indeed. Yeah, don't use BitTornado. Grazie.

cnrivera: Since you're behind a router, you'll probably have to renew your IP through the router (probably via web interface).

I wouldn't think IP address expirations would cause this issue, for when they expire, the router/computer should request for a new one via DHCP (unless of course, you have a static setup...)