PDA

View Full Version : help bino decide on a notebook :p

AlbinoFury
Sun, 08-22-2004, 09:40 PM
ok people ive decided that i need a second computer, and well i have a desktop so i want a laptop, im a poor college student and i dont want all those bells and whistles i just want some power on the go and for class and such. Mainly what ill use it for is (of course) photoshop, dreamweaver, some gaming on the go, mostly blizzard games, and downloadin and watchin anime. So heres the 2 possible systems im pondering.

Compaq 2100Z
14.1" screen
AMD XP-m+ 2800
512 ddr ram
30 gb hd
dvd rom
XP or linux (havent decided yet)
priced at $854 no tax, free shipping

or

Apple ibook 12" G4
1 ghz G4
256 ddr SDram
combo drive
30gb hd
OSX
priced at $999(god bless student discounts) plus tax of about 60 bucks maybe

lemme know folks i value all of your opinions

Assertn
Sun, 08-22-2004, 10:10 PM
the compaq sounds alot more enticing to me

(however, if you asked that 2 weeks ago, i wouldve said the Toshiba 15" screen w/ intel celeron 2.8 ghz, 512 mb ddr ram, 60 gig drive, dvd/cdrw drive, and 802.11g wireless, a printer, and a carrying case for $700 after rebates at best buy is even better)

i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Knives122
Sun, 08-22-2004, 10:22 PM
get the compaq hands down thats the better of the two

Lefty
Sun, 08-22-2004, 10:28 PM
I suggest you buy the PC. If your going to play video games then the Mac sorry to say is limited in that department. Granted you would get more bang for your buck with the Mac and better graphics processing. I'm an avid Mac user I own two Mac's a G5 and a 17" G4 laptop. They are very good computers but the G4 laptop's have a minor problem of getting hot enought to mildly burn you thighs if your not wearing cloths. But it also comes down to prefrence and whats it going to be used for. Good luck though.

AlbinoFury
Sun, 08-22-2004, 10:44 PM
yikes i dont want the boys burnt screw apple. but yeh im an amd man all the way the celeron sucks from what i hear i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Assertn
Sun, 08-22-2004, 10:57 PM
yeah and athlon xps tend to be slower than they say they are i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif
the important detail is $700 after rebate

also i think mine got like, the second highest overall rating in terms of price and quality

AlbinoFury
Sun, 08-22-2004, 11:44 PM
should i spring for the 15 inch display or be content with 14.1?

Assertn
Mon, 08-23-2004, 01:47 AM
well i wont lie to you.......
15 inches suuure is nice......

but personally it depends on the price difference
i wouldnt make it a determining factor unless it isnt much more than maybe $50 to upgrade.....but then again, thats just cause im a poor, cheap bastard

ShinobiNeko
Mon, 08-23-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by: Lefty
I suggest you buy the PC. If your going to play video games then the Mac sorry to say is limited in that department. Granted you would get more bang for your buck with the Mac and better graphics processing. I'm an avid Mac user I own two Mac's a G5 and a 17" G4 laptop. They are very good computers but the G4 laptop's have a minor problem of getting hot enought to mildly burn you thighs if your not wearing cloths. But it also comes down to prefrence and whats it going to be used for. Good luck though.

I agree with Lefy on this.. I have a laptop and the biggest problem is that it gets hot, so I found that it wasn't useful to use a laptop for a long period of time... like I was watching some of my anime I had burned onto a disk on my laptop and it heated and then burned a part of the disktray -_- so I couldn't play CD's anymore, hand to have it repaired, now I just use my PC

Assertn
Mon, 08-23-2004, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by: Lefty
the G4 laptop's have a minor problem of getting hot enought to mildly burn you thighs if your not wearing cloths. But it also comes down to prefrence and whats it going to be used for.

i think i dont want to know what yours is being used for i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

Lefty
Mon, 08-23-2004, 02:39 AM
I found it out the hard way. A freind of mine(who was wearing shorts) was using it and slowly but surely her thighs got burned. I felt really bad aboutit for like a week. But that problem was solved with the new generation of G4 laptops.

AlbinoFury
Tue, 08-24-2004, 10:46 PM
well i got one on the way guys, i went with the windows laptop, i got a pretty fat deal since hp has some nice student discounts if you can find the education link on their page, i ended up getting all this for 750 after rebates;

AMD 2800
15 inch screen
60gb hd
dvd drive
internal usb drive slot
512 ddr
802.11 b/g wifi integrated
oh and a free backpack and shipping lol