PDA

View Full Version : What's up with the slow download time on the torrents

soldierx
Sat, 08-21-2004, 02:51 PM
The torrents are udderly slow with download time, its pathetic. What's up with that?

stos289
Sat, 08-21-2004, 03:15 PM
Well there could be many factors causing a slow download speed. One factor could be the presence of a router. If you have a router, you should do something called "Port Forwarding" which opens the ports that Bittorrent uses (6881-6999) in your router, allowing a faster download speed. If you have a router and haven't done that yet, post the type of router (Linksys, D-Link, etc.) and the model number of the router and I can give you a step by step guide to port forwarding. Another factor could be the amount of seeders that there are for that torrent. The more seeders there are, the faster the download speed will be for that file. Hope I could help.

P.S: This should really be in BT Support.

soldierx
Sat, 08-21-2004, 05:35 PM
sorry, new to the boards. The port forwarding i never thought of, i've got a linksys router.. Thanx for the 411.

stos289
Sat, 08-21-2004, 06:19 PM
That's ok, its not a problem. I actually need the model number of your Linksys router to be able to help you. If you can get that to me, then I can give you a step by step guide to port forwarding. Hope I could help.

Arcn3ss
Sat, 08-21-2004, 07:30 PM
I myself have noticed a great problem with all the torrents Ive been downloading lately in the past 2 days.

My normal aveg speed was around 50 and i had the ability to go higher. In the past 2 days I havent be able to go past 20 on aveg.

No setup was changed, and i checked the IP of the computer just incase the router changed the IP on me. But nothing. The Ports are still open, Iam still in green and yet the download speed is utter crap.

I called my ISP twice and we did a number of tests and nothing was wrong. My bandwidth was very high, even with my firewall and my router. I called linksys to see if there was something they could tell me, I worked with them and really no change could be made.

The problem is with all torrents, not just one. I've installed other BT clients yet the problem doesnt go away. (Iam using BitTornado-0.3.3)

Anyone have any ideas on what is the cause of this problem. I did a system restore, back a week and still the problem remains.

Is the bit torrent network just crappy lately?

Edit: This does belong in Bit torrent support.

stos289
Sat, 08-21-2004, 07:54 PM
The only reason I could think of is that the amount of seeds changed. If less people were seeding, then the download rate will obviously decrease. Also, as I have recently discovered, that if you have gotten Service Pack 2 for Windows XP, they did a lot of port restricting, only allowing a certain amount of information through a port at a time. Other than that, if you port forwarded you router and firewall, there is nothing else I can say about the matter. Hope I could help.

Arcn3ss
Sun, 08-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Bleh...

Its cool man...

My ports are open and I've done almost everything.Its begining to piss me off that I cant find the logic reason behind this problem.

Do you think it could go back to normal if i just give it a few days. I know I wouldnt be doing anything. But I've tried everything that can be done, other then buy a new router, format my hdd. I cannot see the reason behind it not working. All my other programs and net are fast and working. Hell i just installed a new firewall, and nothing.

=/

I stand by my first comment. Bleh...

rainstorm
Mon, 08-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Well, I know somebody's getting a decent speed... Been working on the first set of Gunslinger Girl eps for a while (fighting my roomate at the same time for bandwidth) and average is 15-20 up, 2-5 down.

aznj50
Mon, 08-23-2004, 10:51 PM
i have linksys router and i still can download different torrents at 120kps. I think not many people seed at their highest speeds, ppl just seed at 10kps or something. I only seed up to 1.0 and i quit seeding. Its a fair return, but i had a higher upload then i would seed more, but i don't so i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Lefty
Tue, 08-24-2004, 12:14 AM
I might seed 10 kbs when only like twenty people are peering. Around tirty I'll seed like 15-20. I usally get 10 -30. Once and while I'll get that one torrent that breaks the 80-100 mark.