PDA

View Full Version : Kendo!

Shuurai
Fri, 08-20-2004, 08:21 AM
What exactly is Iaido is it worth joining?, I was looking for a Kendo club in my area and there are none however there is a Iaido club can you explain please.

Lefty
Fri, 08-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Iaido is a martial art that teaches a person how to draw a draw a srow and reseath a sword. You learn set motions oe KATA of drawing your sword either, attacking or defending against an opponent, then after they are subduede(dead) you reseath your sword. Granted that Practicing the kata with a partner is dangeruse, you learn to do the kata on your own. Equipment wise it's a little diffrent in stead of wearing a KEIKO GI( practice gi) you would wear a normal style of GI that you would use an OBI(belt) [note: ther are specific obi's made for iaido, don't use one from like karate or something like that] to keep the gi closed with, then you wear HAKAMA, and finally you have a sword to that you would use to preform the Kata. The swords come in two types an IAITO witch is an alluminuim zink alloy blade wich still forged but has no cutting edge and SHOULD NOT BE USE TO CUT OR HAVE ANY CONTACT WITH A HARD OBJECT IT WILL BREAK THE SOWRD OR WORSE BEND IT. The second type is a SHINKEN or live blade this a real katana that is forged by a master smith out of real iron that can cut, really cut, you can kill some one with one of these so you have to doa lot of papaer work and certification to get these. These are only used by people that are (I think) around Sho Dan(first degree black belt) it might Ni dan or San dan but I'm still fuzz about when you start to use a real sword but it's around the rank level. If you found a Iado dojo in your area then one of the sensei there might also do kendo, but iaido is well worth doing if you are interested in Kendo.

Shuurai
Fri, 08-20-2004, 02:30 PM
Thanks, I will gather more information from the club.

Lefty
Fri, 08-20-2004, 07:06 PM
No prob, but who directed you in my direction with the question? I was rather surprised to see a thread with "Lefty Help!" as a topic summery.

oceen246
Mon, 08-23-2004, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by: Lefty
No prob, but who directed you in my direction with the question? I was rather surprised to see a thread with "Lefty Help!" as a topic summery.

haha, well at least he knew who to ask. If it was up to me, don't go for Kendo or Laido, go for Muay Thai. What are the chances of you using a sword on someone.......

Terracosmo
Mon, 08-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by: oceen246

Originally posted by: Lefty

haha, well at least he knew who to ask. If it was up to me, don't go for Kendo or Laido, go for Muay Thai. What are the chances of you using a sword on someone.......

To be fair, chances of using any kind of martial art is quite low unless you compete for money or are an extreme trouble maker i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

oceen246
Mon, 08-23-2004, 11:39 AM
<----------- used to be an extreme trouble makeri/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

jing
Tue, 08-24-2004, 01:09 AM
Join kendo, its fun, i take it too.
im planning to take iado aswell, when i find the time and money of course.

Lefty
Tue, 08-24-2004, 01:19 AM
GO KENDO.

x hypz x
Tue, 08-24-2004, 11:31 PM
yeah, GO KENDO its an awesome workout. i sweat buckets after wearing my bogu for only 1 hour

Elite Hentai
Sun, 09-12-2004, 03:12 PM
i would like to learn kendo too.... and aikido.... and jujitsu.... and ninjutsu.... but i already have taekwondo and a life. DAMN i wish i had more time. i need to learn orochimaru's kinjutsu to get immortality and steal an uchiha body so i have the sharingan. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Nara Shikamaru VI
Mon, 09-13-2004, 06:32 AM
yo Lefty i herd from one of my senpai that if u've join kendo for 3 years u'll automatically raise up to Sho Dan, is that true??

and yeah kendo kick arse.

kendo is more of a sport rather than a martial art strictly speakin.

PSJ
Mon, 09-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by: oceen246
<----------- used to be an extreme trouble maker

and is now a gangster i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

it would be cool to study iaido, sounds like fun.