PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What is the main draw for you for an anime series?

KameronFrye
Wed, 08-18-2004, 04:47 AM
It's a hard call, but I would say that the action has always been the main draw, but only very closely rivaled by character development and story progression. I watch a lot of movies and the stunts will look too outlandish, simply because it has been recreated using safety harnesses and wires and all of these things to make it appear that someone is doing something impossible. Anime has a way of making action flow nicely, a la Samurai Champloo and Ghost in the Shell. Everything has a fluid look to it that gives me the ability to suspend disbelief and give in to the illusion. I do love the hell out of some character development, which few live action shows really give to me. I can name just as many that give me that depth of the individual as I can that I've enjoyed for action, but the action was generally what drew me in first.

DeluxSkillz
Wed, 08-18-2004, 04:58 AM
action, humor, and story telling/character development, but usually action series get to me a lot i just love violence, if the action isn't good then it has to be either really funny or have something really special like very well done character development to get me hooked

Hakeem_21
Wed, 08-18-2004, 05:17 AM
The best thing about anime is the story telling and characther development,there are so many animes with good storys and good characthers and thats what draws me to anime. The humor and action is just bonus.

Foomanchew24
Wed, 08-18-2004, 10:17 AM
I'm very visual so the animation has to be good to look at. Most anime meet this standard but there are some that look too wiered to enjoy, secondly I would have to say it would be the overall story of the anime, and lastly I like a good combination of action and humor. Put all these elements together and I'm a happy man.

PSJ
Wed, 08-18-2004, 10:28 AM
a mix out of all of them exept boobies. some shows can have humour and action but almost no character development and yet be very entertaining, some shwos can do it without the action, some can without the humour, some got a mix of all three, some shows are visually great, some are crap visually. there's such a big variaty(sp?) of what makes a show enjoyable/good.

Eurasian
Wed, 08-18-2004, 10:34 AM
i chose the story and character development. that's what i really like. the depth of the story. i also watch anime for the other things...the story is what i really care about.

Humor is great. if i can vote again, i'll choose humor.

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 08-18-2004, 10:48 AM
I voted "other" as I usually just choose a series that I like the sound of from descriptions I read, I don't really have a requirement as to what it is about, though its fair to say that if I don't like the artwork there is a fairly high chance I won't watch it. Seeing types of artwork I don't like has stopped me from looking into stuff like Lupin III and once I d/led an ep of Paranoia Agent but I hated the art so much I just stopped before the opening titles ended and deleted it...

Action is good so long as its well done, though I tend to find it boring if it goes on too long, Horror is something I don't find anywhere enough of in anime, generally as a genre horror is not done well at all in most anime and good horror seems hard to find. Comedy is good in stuff like Ushio and Tora and Samurai Deeper Kyo, and violence is usually good, though I'm not a fan of sexual violence unless its necessary to the plot (not that I have a problem with others watching it, I just don't like to - many horror-ish films such as Doji seem to just try to shock with sexual violence rather than putting any real thought into actually scaring you).

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 08-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Sorry, double post

s0ulz x r3frain
Wed, 08-18-2004, 01:35 PM
just the way the story is put together... not too much fillers, not just raw action [ie. bakuretsu tenshi =\]... but a lot of comedy =]

the best anime that is put together sofar that never ever everrrrrrr got me bored for even a minute was One Piece... i dunno how those mofo's do it but it always keeps u hooked to it, and there's o so plenty of comedy

thundrakkon
Wed, 08-18-2004, 04:34 PM
What makes any series lasting is the story and character development. Without those, you will have the usual series you see pretty much all the time. I mean, I do like all types of Anime, but the ones I would watch again are the ones I would enjoy. Those usually have a good story. Humor is also a good quality to have, but it would not last long without a story to go with it.

Aeon
Wed, 08-18-2004, 04:45 PM
I voted for story telling. I'm all for action in a anime but if there is no story to go along with it, then the show will lose my attention after a couple eps. Show's like Madlax and Chrno Crusade didn't have a lot of action in them but the stories kept/keep me watching them.

Mut
Wed, 08-18-2004, 04:58 PM
the coolness of a character.

ShinobiNeko
Wed, 08-18-2004, 05:14 PM
I would say a combination between most of the options, generally anime has really great story lines and interesting/believable character development, then there is also good action and funny humor and can have some great music to compliment everything else. I also have to agree with Mut@t@ about the coolness of a character, because there tends to be really cool characters in anime that help to draw you into the anime

NM
Wed, 08-18-2004, 05:28 PM
For me, a good anime = Interesting storyline, good character development, and a combination of both action and humor. And what Mut@t@ and ShinobiNeko said is true to, the character has to be somewhat cool.

Inazuma Kami
Fri, 08-20-2004, 06:20 AM
A good anime is somewhat balanced .
We can mix all of them to get something good or we can make a Super humoritic anime ( FmP Fumoffu) without any Story line or No comedy at all and a very strong Story line ( GunSlinger Girl ).

So will you choose The Extrems or something balanced ? The choice is up to you .

I choose a Strong Story line .

DraGunZer0
Fri, 08-20-2004, 06:22 AM
Hehehehehe... boobies.....