PDA

View Full Version : IRC help

Kenshiro
Tue, 08-17-2004, 08:24 AM
Hey,

I took my first steps into the strange world of IRC yesterday. Leeching in most channels was fine, and i got the hang of Fserves and all that nonsense.

However, in one particular channel ( #animedivx@irc.avalonworks.ca ) I had no idea what was going on.

It is a small channel, and when I got there I typed !list (like an idiot, I know), and so I got told off.

Then I tried !rules, and it told me that the ads would appear every 30 mins or so.

I have now had the window open for several hours and none have appeared. Are they not sending them to me because I behaved like a retard?

I am too scared ask someone in the channel, as no-one is talking in there (what are they doing when not talking, leeching?, having private chats???), and I will blatantly get banned.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would very much appreciate any help.

Thanks

joker-kun
Tue, 08-17-2004, 08:19 PM
Well, you really shouldn't barge into a channel and do a !list right off the bat. It tends notto be smart. As for the bad behavior thing, most likely not. I don't think they would quit advertising their rles for one leecher since they get tons of these constantly. As for the non-talking, amny in the irc world are what we call "idlers" it means they sit in the channel and do absolutely nothing except make the number bigger. Try xdcc listing some o their bots, if not then just ask why the rules arn't appearing, if they ban you, oh well theres TONS of warez channels.

Kenshiro
Wed, 08-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Ive still had no luck getting anything from these guys.

The reason I am obsessing over this channel is because they Fansubbed the Devilman OVAs and I am desperately trying to get hold of them.

I tried asking in the main channel as politely as I could (explaining that I was a n00b, and that I was really sorry for being retarded etc..) but no-one replied.

I couldnt do an XDCC LIST because I dont have a botlist (do I need one, how do I find out what the bots are called?)

Is ther anything else I could try????

thanks

NM
Wed, 08-18-2004, 12:40 PM
Dude, first off, calm down. You dont have to say ur retarded for being a noob. And dont worry if you get banned. Its no big deal, almost all channels unban people who break their rules for 1 hour or maybe even a day. Even if you dont get unbanned, like Joker-Kun said, theres a HUGE amount of channels to download anime. Now for your bot question. In channels, to identify a bot, on the right side, scroll down till you see XDCC. Those are the bots. Like for example, if Im in the Animeone channel and I want to download an episode of Naruto from a bot, I'll scroll down till I find a bot like XDCC||AoneSasuke or something like that. To find out what files a bot is holding, go to the botlist website that should show up when you first enter the channel. Hope that helps.

Mon, 10-25-2004, 05:23 PM
ok another n00b to irc here

why should i use it? i know the files come out slightly quicker than bt but is that it?

just want to get an idea why so many ppl use it

what are the basic commands to get files?

kAi
Tue, 10-26-2004, 02:28 AM
it is used for chat aswell as downloading, as it is an Internet Relay Chat. but you will probably have more chance of finding the things you want in IRC than BT well i think so anyways.
basic commands there are plenty of tutorials around (google it) but if you wanna know more follow what my sig says, and ask there.

you should probably type !rules when going into a channel to make sure you dont break anything.

!list = gets a list of XDCC, Fserves, TDCC, FTP.
@find <whatever> = searches for the string of word/s after @find --- check with channels if it is ok to use this!
thats basically it for searching files. oh and xdcc list also.

but follow my sig and ask.

Tue, 10-26-2004, 11:08 PM
ok there is never anyone in the channels i join

so i connect, click join channel and type #gotwoot@irc.rizon.net in it

but no one is in it or when i type !rules nothing happens

why?

Raven
Tue, 10-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Just type #gotwoot - don't put the @irc.rizon.net afterwards.

You are joining rizon before you try to join gotwoot right?

kAi
Wed, 10-27-2004, 09:36 AM
in mirc at the bottom type
"/server irc.rizon.net" without the quotes
if this doesnt work use the one below, as sometimes rizon.net doesnt seem to be working.
"/server irc.sexualrice.net" this is a server on the rizon network there are many others but this is the first one i thought of.
once it is connected type
"/join #gotwoot" without the quotes.
once this is done you will be in the gotwoot channel, then ask your questions, it is just easier in real time chat instead of on the forums.