View Full Version : MY COMP FREZZES ON COMP GAMES

dragon
Fri, 08-13-2004, 05:18 PM
My Specs are

amd xp 1800+
gforce mx200
1.53ghz
256mb ram

i am runnign acRO,Counter Stirke,Gunbound any help on how to keep it from crashing my comp in those games

complich8
Sat, 08-14-2004, 05:47 PM
Without knowing more, it's always hard to say.

Generally when I'm diagnosing a crashy pc, my order of operations goes something like this:

1: Check the event logs for details of the crashes.
2: Check for viruses, check for spyware, check for other strange or unknown processes in the startup sections of the registry.
3: Check for driver updates and driver compatibility, check for windowsupdates at the same time.
4: Check components for temperatures (if there are sensors in them), make sure the system isn't running too hot.
5: Do hardware tests to rule out flaky hardware (memtest86, prime95).
6: try a reinstall of the OS and all your software.

If it's several games consistently crashing the system, and nothing else ... I'd immediately suspect cpu overheat though. What sort of heatsink/fan are you using, and how is it connected (thermal pad, thermal grease -- what type of grease). How's your cpu fan, how's your case venthilation otherwise?

dragon
Sat, 08-14-2004, 07:41 PM
hmm...my comp is usually on and i only have the main fan and the cpu fan.......maybe thats the problem but....it also happens after i turn off my comp for 4 hrs and it is compleatly cooled down......i updated the drivers and my opengl op. (DiretX 9.0b,Nvidia)...well its a good thing i am gonaa buy new equip. at Frys. so that means a 4 fan case,gforce 5500 overclocked,soyo motherboard P4 combo,and a plasma ......i think this might help

Ps. it freezzes and i cant move anything my ctrl+alt+delete or mouse and i cant shut down with the flag...i have to force the comp to shut down

Varion
Sat, 08-14-2004, 08:24 PM
also happens after i turn off my comp for 4 hrs and it is compleatly cooled down

Demanding applications (like your games) will take no time to heat up a processor. AMD's earlier processors tend to be a bit weak on the thermal side (especially when it comes to emergencies).

So after you've determined that software is not causing the problem, it's probably the hardware (and probably a thermal one at that).

Immediately after a crash, take a good smell of the case (actually worked in one instance!); if you smell something burning, it is more than likely a temperature problem.

dragon
Sat, 08-14-2004, 09:19 PM
WOAH!! it does work..my case smeels like dead animals and some metal melting......wow this is how gay my comp is...well time to mow lawns and help old ladies croos da street

-ANBU-Sasuke-
Sun, 08-15-2004, 12:23 AM
There is alot of things that can determine what will make your games crash. Try answer the following :

-Was it a problem before or recent
~If so try and findout what latest drivers or software/hardware changes you made.

But we dont have that much info from what u even said so you have to be more clear

dragon
Sun, 08-15-2004, 07:16 AM
it was before ..and like i said i have updated all my drivers

-ANBU-Sasuke-
Sun, 08-15-2004, 01:25 PM
Well, was it before or after the driver updates?

dragon
Sun, 08-15-2004, 04:49 PM
both