PDA

View Full Version : I BRING DOOM DOOM DOOM TO YOU ALL

Stoopider
Fri, 08-13-2004, 08:12 AM
DOOM3 is out. And so is the Gotwoot forum back again. yay.
I think with all the hype about this game, it's worth talking about it.

What you guys think? I've just started playing the game. Scary as hell. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif Claustrophobic's nightmare

Mut
Fri, 08-13-2004, 02:33 PM
it's not really 'scary,' but more like 'surprising.' i mean, it's not really a scary storyline (although it would be if it did happen). the monster popping out of the dark behind you or whatever just makes you jump and that's pretty much about it. but if you've played any doom before, you pretty much know what and where something will happen to make you jump.

and how annoying is the flashlight? it really sucks how you can't have it turned on while you're using a weapon.

Uchiha-Itachi
Fri, 08-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Well there is a mod that enables you to attach the flashlight to you weapon with ductape i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

And the dynamic lighting mod is also awesome, but eats alot of FPS though i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

Here some screens of the dynamic lighting mod:

http://yamauchi.selwerd.nl/~d3/doomiii/shot00755.jpg

http://members.chello.nl/melvin.hamaker/26.jpg

http://members.chello.nl/melvin.hamaker/27.jpg

http://yamauchi.selwerd.nl/~d3/doomiii/shot00609.jpg

Uchiha-Itachi
Fri, 08-13-2004, 02:58 PM
Oh sry for double post >.<

NM
Fri, 08-13-2004, 03:32 PM
I got Doom 3 but I cant play it till I get a better processor >_>. My cousin had it though and I played it there once and the graphics are awesome. They could've made a better storyline tho, its always the same.

Lefty
Fri, 08-13-2004, 05:08 PM
This makes the old doom and doom 2 look like frogger. I miss the old days when the monsters were poorly constructed blocks of pixels.

Mut
Fri, 08-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by: NarutoMaster
I got Doom 3 but I cant play it till I get a better processor >_>. My cousin had it though and I played it there once and the graphics are awesome. They could've made a better storyline tho, its always the same.

doom3 is suppose to be a remake of doom.

frexeze
Sat, 08-14-2004, 03:40 AM
it's fun, i'm enjoying it

the first person shooter genre has been lacking in single player since everyone's been focusing on multiplayer so much.. or maybe i just miss quake1 since that was the first shooter i ever played i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif looking forward to hl2 ;D

NM
Sat, 08-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by: Mut@t@

Originally posted by: NarutoMaster

doom3 is suppose to be a remake of doom.

Really? I didn't know that. But wasn't the last Doom the exact same thing to? You go to Mars, then all hell breaks loose with aliens. I never played the second Doom so I dont know much about it. Oh yeah, for everyone who played the first Doom, does anyone ever remember using the Barney code? All the aliens transform into Barney and they sing the "I Love You" song. Ahh, being able to kill Barney. Good times i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif.

Mut
Sat, 08-14-2004, 06:54 PM
i believe the second doom is about hell on earth. i don't know where doom 64 fits into the story line.

Raven
Sat, 08-14-2004, 10:03 PM
I posted this in another thread, but for those who missed it here it is again, saves me retyping it:

Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
I think it's a little linear, but what game isn't these days? Overall, I think it's very atmospheric, you feel like you're really there. I wouldn't call it scary, but rather it makes you jump, there's a difference, it's a true 'brown trousers' (ew) game. The monsters are well designed and animated, the bosses are pretty cool, and the environmental textures are amazing. Too bad my PC doesn't run it too well, I need an upgrade soon.

Hopefully I should be upgrading in the next week or so. It's gonna be great, I'll play through the game again on nightmare this time!

Sharingnan Chet
Sun, 08-15-2004, 12:01 AM
I thought that Doom 3 was supposed to take place even before Doom?

Ah, I have no solid evidence, so you might be right Mut@t@.

Anywho, I dunno what I was expecting from Doom 3, as I'm solely waiting for Halflife 2, but I still have to say that Doom 3 does indeed push the boundries of graphics but does little else. I mean, the story is nothing new, the playthrough is nothing new, the weapons are nothing new.
I'm expecting the mod community to come through and make something alot better of the engine of Doom3 than Doom 3 itself.

Speaking of the flashlight, you should over to here (http://ducttape.glenmurphy.com/) for the "duct tape" mod. It gives you a flashlight while weilding guns. Pretty nifty.

All in all, Doom 3: good game, great graphics, on par FPS.

Kakafosha
Sun, 08-15-2004, 04:14 AM
im not really a doom fan, but from the looks of the screenshots it looks pretty damn fun. though i have really had my eye on counter-strike:source for a long time.

r3n
Sun, 08-15-2004, 06:44 AM
its good for the first hour, after that it jst gets old real fast. its so repetitive (find PDA, open door, kill some demons, find PDA, open door, kill some demons), so i got bored by the time i got past alpha labs. im jst waiting for HL2, hopefully that wont dissapoint unlike this game. (i was a big D1 and D2 fan)

Stoopider
Sun, 08-15-2004, 11:25 AM
R3n's right about repetitiveness. However it's still a fun/tough game. Don't play hard or MAX when you start out. Go for medium or Easy. I started out at MAX, so each zombie swipe was like 40 dmg. And their hella lot tougher. Got sick of the game too fast after it got kinda frustrating.

Medium's just nice for me for the mean time. I'm progressing through the levels quite an okay speed. Rarely dying. But I still think it's a good fps game. I heard the multi sucks though. Haven't tried that one out yet.

But the monsters and weapons are just awesome. The level designs are brilliant, except you can hardly fight outdoors, which was quite dissapointing. I expected more outdoor fighting if it weren't for the oxygen thingy.

I think the next series would probably be hell on earth or in Phobos or one of MArs'es moons.

nevertheless, I still think the first person game is still kickass. Except less shock-value please. But the fighting in the darkness effect is cool.

r3n
Sun, 08-15-2004, 01:58 PM
ive tried the Multiplayer with some friends and its shit. its jst a slower version of UT2k3

Raven
Mon, 08-16-2004, 02:44 AM
I heard they spent a total of about 3 weeks on the multiplayer part, so it's no wonder. The focus is on SP for sure. But you just know some kick-ass mods will be made for it, whether they're SP or MP.

Assertn
Mon, 08-16-2004, 03:09 PM
i think i said this before but
Doom - coop = not worth buying

Terracosmo
Mon, 08-16-2004, 03:47 PM
Well I DLed it just now, guess I'll give it a shot...

Goingin
Mon, 08-16-2004, 04:00 PM
Some moments really scared the shit out of me...

But the storyline is very blurry, can't really get a hold on what happened
Just running around, staying alive, talk to some survivors and killing some weird creatures again.. and again.. and again..

Washuu-chan
Mon, 08-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Thats a FPS game for you i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Most FPS gamers, would get pissed if the game was too much story.

--- Uchiha-Itachi's screenies... are nothing compared to what they can look on a better computer i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 08-17-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm d/ling it now - I don't wanna buy it just yet in case it sucks (for FPS games I prefer Deathmatches on UT2k4...though AvP2 isn't bad from what I've played), or the very high possibility that my comp is too shit for it...

I played the first 2 as a kid and they were ok...never bothered playing enough to get really far though...stuff where you're constantly looking for keys and stuff doesn't really do it for me (so if this one is like that too I might get sick after about 3 levels).

Stoopider
Thu, 09-09-2004, 11:47 AM
For 'Possible'

TO THE TOP!!!

TTT

i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Stoopider
Thu, 09-09-2004, 12:58 PM
DOOM3 Too intense?? Where got?

Only in the beginning when you have your shitty pistol. But if not, it gets lots tame-er after that. Or you'll just get too used to it. Like everytime you turn around the corner, you know whats coming.

Zombies are pretty crap. wait till you meet those flying heads. Those are tough nuts. Or those baby angels (awwwww). They'll scrape your eyeballs out. And tough as heck.

PossiblE
Thu, 09-09-2004, 02:30 PM
Heh, thanks Stoopider. Sorry for not searching first.

Anyways, any of you up for a game of MP?

Edit: As for the toughest monster, Hell knights (I believe they are called that) gave me a tough time in the first encounter with them, it takes more than 5 RL hits to take them out.

Stoopider
Fri, 09-10-2004, 11:31 AM
ShotGun the Hell knights.. 8 direct hits I think. Run towards them, then as they swipe, run back, and if they throw those green balls, dodge or duck.

My toughest is those ArchVile's, especially when they summon Hell Knights!! (Like some of the few last levels). Thats when the Soul Cube and the BFG come's in really handy.

Oh yeah, for those of you who don't know where to get the BFG, you can get them in two places.

1) From the Commander's office (Can't remember what level). His Code number for his room is found on his PDA, which you'll get his PDA very early in the game.

2) The Tank-like Boss. After you kill him, you walk towards his corpse, and you'll pick it up.

For more tips.. Check out www.planetDoom.com (http://www.planetdoom.com)

really fantastic game.. However I've haven't tried out the Multiplayer though. My Internet connection ain't fast enough to play with you overseas peeps. i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

PossiblE
Fri, 09-10-2004, 02:14 PM
You can also get it temporarily in hell.

And yeah, ArchViles are giving me the most problems right now.

chambers
Wed, 10-06-2004, 07:02 AM
OMG i never been so scared in my whole life than playin this game. i swaer to god i got fuckin screams goin off everywhere, behind me to my left and right, and i only been playin for ten mins!! they need to tell those guys dyin over the radio to STFU! i shoudl get a cam corder an video my playin this stuff so you can all laugh.........i just had a bit where fuckin flaming skull flys through the airlock door and i actually jumped AND made a noise LMAO

JKD
Wed, 10-06-2004, 03:20 PM
I beat it..and man it is REALLY fun and scary..wow I loved it. I reccamend this game to everyone.

Assertn
Wed, 10-06-2004, 05:15 PM
i'll prolly just play the game sometime when i have a next generation computer

apparently my 2.4 ghz p4, 768 mb ddr ram, and Geforce 4 TI 4200 run choppy at good quality and whats the use in playing any lower?

PossiblE
Wed, 10-06-2004, 09:40 PM
Doom 3's low graphics are better than most games high detail settings. I am forced to play the game on the bare minimum at the moment, and I can still enjoy it.

Raven
Thu, 10-07-2004, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

apparently my 2.4 ghz p4, 768 mb ddr ram, and Geforce 4 TI 4200 run choppy at good quality and whats the use in playing any lower?
My specs are much, much less than that and I played through the whole game fine on Low, it still looks great.

Stoopider
Thu, 10-07-2004, 12:27 PM
You should try and play with the settings, like I play mine at 800x600. And some settings off, like the shadows (Take up heckuvalot of ram). But leave the details on. It looks great, and only lags for a quarter of a second everytime I enter a room where there's going to be monsters popping out soon.

Assertn
Thu, 10-07-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn

Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

My specs are much, much less than that and I played through the whole game fine on Low, it still looks great.

mm....yes......low................................ .................................................. ................
ive been busy anyway, im in no rush to play the game

Stoopider
Sat, 10-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Awww.. but you must Assertn... It's good for you. Doom3 makes you feel...

Happy.. Tranquil... and overall, enlightened. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

PossiblE
Sat, 10-09-2004, 02:07 PM
Despite what people say about Doom 3's multiplayer, it IS very fun. I actually enjoy it more than single player.

Anyone want to play a game once I get my new vid card(which is hopefully soon)?

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 10-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by: Stoopider
You should try and play with the settings, like I play mine at 800x600. And some settings off, like the shadows (Take up heckuvalot of ram). But leave the details on. It looks great, and only lags for a quarter of a second everytime I enter a room where there's going to be monsters popping out soon.

Mine ran fine when I ran it on minimum settings...but the game always crashed after about 10-15 minutes i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

I dunno what the problem is...I'm guessing I didn't have enough RAM or something...though I don't know much about comp stuff so I could be totally wrong...

Assertn
Sat, 10-09-2004, 05:01 PM
if you dont play the game on high, then you defeat half the purpose of playing the game to begin with

shinichi69
Sun, 10-10-2004, 03:12 AM
can somebody post some good tactics or cheats?

do you guys use the cheat for flash light and gun?

iminyourbrain
Sun, 10-10-2004, 05:18 AM
i don't use the flashlight/gun. i am close to the end and i'm saving up bfg cells and just using shotgun ... it really is the most effective guns in the game, since most of the stuff just appears right in front of you.

basey44
Sun, 10-10-2004, 08:20 AM
i gotta say i got bored of this game right after the apha cells bit near the start, i stated the level with that bit energy thingy but just got bored of it.i mean great graphics and stuff but its so repetitive,glad i didnt buy it, but then again the only game ive bought since duke nukem 3d was diablo2. i give doom 3 a rating of meh

Stoopider
Mon, 10-11-2004, 02:21 PM
Well.. although repetitive.. non-stop shooting,every corner you turn, another baddie..

But thats true to the premise of Doom series anyway. What do you expect? This ain't Splinter Cell. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

The fun's in the continous non-stop enemies coming straight at you, with creepy backgrounds, cool graphics, fabulous sounds.

Ahhhhh.. the non-stop adrenaline rush. After playing the game for cool 8 hours, I always get a headache and have to take a nap.

Well, I guess it's not for everyone. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

chambers
Mon, 10-11-2004, 02:49 PM
iam sorry but doom 3 plays as much like the original doom as deus ex. quite frankly iam ashamed its even called a doom game. doom wasnt ever abotu claustrophobic corridors or enimies that jump out at you. as much as ID and certain online sites would LIKE you to beleive doom 3 while good on its own is NOTHING like the original doom games!!

JKD
Mon, 10-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by: chambers
iam sorry but doom 3 plays as much like the original doom as deus ex. quite frankly iam ashamed its even called a doom game. doom wasnt ever abotu claustrophobic corridors or enimies that jump out at you. as much as ID and certain online sites would LIKE you to beleive doom 3 while good on its own is NOTHING like the original doom games!!

Actually doom 3 has the same story line as the original doom, it's just far more enhanced and more complex with new enemies.

PossiblE
Mon, 10-11-2004, 03:43 PM
You sound like you are representing ID in advertising the game JKD.
I agree it does not feel like Doom too much, but it still is a great game.

Board of Command
Mon, 10-11-2004, 03:48 PM
My crappy computer can't handle it. Looks alright though, but I'm not really into fps.

shinichi69
Mon, 10-11-2004, 10:02 PM
hahaz... i thought this game rox... but it seemed to gather all the negative comments from you guys... lol...