PDA

View Full Version : Naruto: Suikoden rip off?

spanks
Mon, 07-26-2004, 10:33 AM
just been playing through suikoden 2 again on the ps1 and come across a character called Sasuke who lives in a ninja village and looks the spitting image of the one from naruto, also other things seem to coincide with naruto, there is also a leaf acadamy, has the maker of naruto said anything about taking or basing his characters from other sources?

not a bitch, just a little freaky seeing it i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

ilabb
Mon, 07-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Sarutobi Sasuke was a famous ninja from Japan actually... and a lot of ninja things have to do with leaves... about the same looks, it's probably just coincidence.

ilabb
Mon, 07-26-2004, 11:09 AM
ARG double-posted... gomen~

Assertn
Tue, 07-27-2004, 11:19 AM
not a coincidence.......kishimoto purpose took alot of references from japanese history and mythology

PSJ
Thu, 08-12-2004, 08:02 AM
i think he meant the leaf academy and stuff were the coincidence.

Terracosmo
Thu, 08-12-2004, 09:16 AM
Actually Suikoden is closer to chinese mythology than japanese, though it of course has lots of japanese references aswell.

And ninjas, leaves & whatnot is hardly something unique. I don't recall the ninja town having an academy however...

But there's a Hanzo & a Sasuke in it. Based on the true ninjas Hanzo Hattori & Sarutobi Sasuke.

*Include 5 pages of japanese story that nobody but Terra cares about here*

Raven
Thu, 08-12-2004, 09:45 AM
Hanzo Hattori.... ok maybe I'm a little slow on the uptake, but isn't he the swordmaker from Kill Bill?

Terracosmo
Thu, 08-12-2004, 12:04 PM
The swordsmith from Kill Bill is ALSO named after the legendary Iga ninja Hattori Hanzo.

As you can tell he is very famous, because his deeds in life (involving leading a large troop featuring his lord Ieyasu Tokugawa unharmed through the dangerous Iga pass) has grown to legendary status.

Fun thing though, Sarutobi Sasuke has given names to 3 chars in Naruto... I am expecting a badass named Hanzo to appear in the manga at any time now.

kupalmaru
Sat, 08-14-2004, 07:48 AM
I was playing this game Final Fantasy Origins and on the later part of the show you can get a great sword called Sasuke.

When Kenshin, Samurai X, is getting a new sword it is similar on Uma Thurman, Kill Bil Vol 1, getting a new sword also.

Eurasian
Sat, 08-14-2004, 11:48 PM
wow, all these names appeared in sdk. i read that lil historical thing from the sdk dvds (i actually spend money buying dvds) that the existence of sarutobi sasuke is not for sure. there might be someone like him...or something like that.

jing
Sun, 08-15-2004, 12:38 PM
i played suikoden 2 a couple of years ago.. hmm i dont remember these ninja stuff though.. i agree is more of a chinese thing.

Terracosmo
Sun, 08-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by: Eurasian
wow, all these names appeared in sdk. i read that lil historical thing from the sdk dvds (i actually spend money buying dvds) that the existence of sarutobi sasuke is not for sure. there might be someone like him...or something like that.

Sarutobi Sasuke did indeed exist, he was one of the men under Yukimura Sanada.
Whatever crap that worthless show feeds you is false!

Eurasian
Sun, 08-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo

Originally posted by: Eurasian

Sarutobi Sasuke did indeed exist, he was one of the men under Yukimura Sanada.
Whatever crap that worthless show feeds you is false!

THOSE STUPID HISTORICAL NOTES!!!! trying to confuse me.

piasEnigma
Mon, 08-16-2004, 01:38 AM
wo0t for history, gG @ spanks.
Looks like Terracosmo has everything rapped up here.

Terracosmo
Mon, 08-16-2004, 03:12 AM
Well they don't call me a history nerd for nothing ;D

0_o
Tue, 08-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Original suikoden the novel is chinese.. its one of the 4 classic fiction of Chinese Novels. Story is a historic fiction based off some historic events during the Sung Dynasty of China.

Despite their denial.. Japanese culture still is mainly based off chinese... so retelling and spin off this type of stories are quite common. Other examples... Journey to West, another one of the 4 classics... fantasy story involving the Monkey King... Son Goku... who can ride a cloud and have a staff that can change to anysize by his will. there are tons of anime , manga, video game that all somewhat based itself off this story or parts of it... other than the most well known.. dragonball series.