PDA

View Full Version : BT d/l and u/l

kooshi
Sat, 07-24-2004, 02:46 PM
I dunno if I really need help or not, but it just seems to me that the upload rate is faster than the download rate. This the same for everyone else?

Also, if the upload rate increases the download rate, how come I usually have a high upload rate, yet I have a slow download rate (eg. 15 KB/sec d/l, 50 KB/sec u/l). Btw, I have cable connection and a Belkin router.

Mut
Sun, 07-25-2004, 02:03 AM
this depends on how you set your bt upload rates. also, i think your upload speed can hurt your dl speed.

complich8
Sun, 07-25-2004, 05:29 PM
how fast is your cable connection's upload? Try capping your client at about 5-10KB/sec below your cable's maximum speed.

For example, I have a 384K upload cable connection, so I cap my bt client at about 40K up (with the connection peaking out around 48K) and I get pretty close to optimal download speeds with that. Capping it lower makes me a less important peer so I get slower. Capping it higher makes the download speed choke, so I get slower.

Alhuin
Sun, 07-25-2004, 05:35 PM
...where can i find how fast my cable connections max. speed is? (if that makes sense).....down at the left hand corner theres 2 comp (for my network connection) and when i run my mouse over it it has a speed (most of the time its somewhere between 36.o and 54.0 Mbps).....is that what your talking about?

complich8
Sun, 07-25-2004, 05:41 PM
That sounds like an 802.11g wireless connection. That's not what you're looking for. That'll just be the speed between your computer and your router.

The only really easy way to find out what your connection is capable of is to ask your ISP.