PDA

View Full Version : Why Im Going to sell my PS2 real soon

lostprophet
Fri, 07-23-2004, 06:50 PM
For a long time i have wanted to get rid of my ps2 but i couldnt bring myslef to do it because of a couple reasons. The first was that i could only play EA sports games online on ps2 only. The second was there arent any good RPGs on xbox. But i no longer have those problems. Because EA has begun making its games playable online via xbox live, i no longer have to settle for crappy ps2 graphics on sports games just so i can play online. As far as my RPG dilemma, i only have to wait until september when Fable drops and im good to go. But i still have to keep my ps2 around until San Andreas drops for the xbox. Plus with my EA sports games on xbox now i dont have to be bothered with buying extra memory cards to save my seasons, dynasties, franchises, and roster updates because of the xbox harddrive. And i really wont have a use for a ps2 after Halo 2 drops anyway.

InnerSakuraChan
Fri, 07-23-2004, 07:09 PM
thank you for sharing that. that really enriched my life.

you must be one mean conversationalist.

Masamune
Fri, 07-23-2004, 07:10 PM
note that its his first post =)

he came all the way to an anime forum to tell total strangers he's gonne sell his ps2 XDXD

Terracosmo
Fri, 07-23-2004, 08:16 PM
I feel an urge to close this, but I suddenly realized that the poor kid actually isn't breaking any rules...!!!

woofcat
Fri, 07-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Well. Wanna know whats better then sellling your Ps2

Just Keep it. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Then heres the tricky part. Go buy an XboX. then enjoy your classics and your new games.!

hiddenpookie
Fri, 07-23-2004, 09:57 PM
uhh sell the ps2 its boring
and guess what ALOT of EA games are coming online to the XBOX
i have a gamecube,Xbox and ps2 and xbox is my fav just make sure u can afford Xbox live
and by the way ps2 online blows sure its cheap but it stinks
Xbox live is pricey but it kicks.so yeah get an xbox

GLS
Fri, 07-23-2004, 10:07 PM
I have the same feelins as prophet about the EA Sports online games for xbox. Thats like hitting PS2 upside the head with a mac truck. *Ouch*

But I still want MGS3. 'Nuff said.

Assertn
Sat, 07-24-2004, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by: Masamune
note that its his first post =)

he came all the way to an anime forum to tell total strangers he's gonne sell his ps2 XDXD

haha, i was about to say the saaame thing.....

wow....all this EA sports talk makes it sound almost as if sports console games are fun.....

Uzumaki Naruto
Sat, 07-24-2004, 12:48 AM
id say keep ur ps2 bc some good rpgs are bou to come out for it , like xenosaga 2 and FF12

Nara Shikamaru VI
Sat, 07-24-2004, 08:02 AM
graphic aint everything mate.

persoanlly i wanted to get an xbox as well but i still will wait for all the 'cool' RPG to be realease to be certain that it's not just the hype. microsoft have the money and i am not surprise if they hype their product to the max. one good example Halo, i cant seem to see why people think it's the best thing since slice bread, dont get me wrong when i play with my buddies on 4 xboxes, it was 'meh' fun. but i cant seem to see whats the HOOHAA's about, my guess is that Halo has definately been hype

Assertn
Sat, 07-24-2004, 09:29 AM
cool rpg = mario and luigi superstars

Raven
Sat, 07-24-2004, 10:27 AM
All I can say is, the people who obsess so much over Halo on Xbox (as opposed to PC) obviously haven't fully experienced the true joy of using a mouse and keyboard. Once you're used to the mouse and keyboard, there's no going back. The controller is an inferior system to use for FPS games, there's no way it can possibly compete.

EDIT: Agreed, Assertn, M&L Superstars was fantastic! Might play through it again actually.

Nara Shikamaru VI
Sat, 07-24-2004, 10:29 AM
must agree. very unique gamplay

but too bad no replay value. i've played through it once and now my mario & luigi superstar saga just sits on my my table.

but i hope paper mario 2 wont dissapoint.

shadowmantis
Sat, 07-24-2004, 02:47 PM
i just got a network adapter for ps2 today. too bad gamecube has shitty online support.. i wouldnt need any other system if it had online games and final fantasy.

Goingin
Sat, 07-24-2004, 03:24 PM
Yeah, sell the PS2, u can't play anime series on it unless theyre on DVD

i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif

Knives122
Sat, 07-24-2004, 03:30 PM
I necessarily dont care, I have all three and i dont intend on selling any of them for a long time games are games no matter what system their on

and I hat PC gamesi/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

tensai
Sat, 07-24-2004, 03:40 PM
lol, you guys are getting off topic with the M&L superstars (although i do love it, and paper mario 2 looks cool, even though i never played it for n64(maybe i should go and buy it?))

well, if you want to sell your ps2 to get more money to pay for xbox, then go for it
all i see going for xbox is online play and minimal good exclusive games, most other games can be found on other systems, but with slightly inferior graphics, and thats about it
your so set on getting, then nothings going to stop you from doing so, right?
unless you posted to hear our opinions on your situation
id say, if you have money, dont sell the ps2, just keep it
just dont play with the ps2 online and use your new xbox for all your online play, keep the ps2 for the rpgs

r3n
Sat, 07-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by: lostprophet
For a long time i have wanted to get rid of my ps2 but i couldnt bring myslef to do it because of a couple reasons. The first was that i could only play EA sports games online on ps2 only. The second was there arent any good RPGs on xbox. But i no longer have those problems. Because EA has begun making its games playable online via xbox live, i no longer have to settle for crappy ps2 graphics on sports games just so i can play online. As far as my RPG dilemma, i only have to wait until september when Fable drops and im good to go. But i still have to keep my ps2 around until San Andreas drops for the xbox. Plus with my EA sports games on xbox now i dont have to be bothered with buying extra memory cards to save my seasons, dynasties, franchises, and roster updates because of the xbox harddrive. And i really wont have a use for a ps2 after Halo 2 drops anyway.

dude... u like RPGs on consoles? what are you nuts? the best RPGs are all on the PC, not to mention the best sports games (with internet play), and yes "oh but the controller blah blah blah fckin blah" you can buy replica console controllers for ur PC which plug into the USB nice nd simple. bleh consoles are only good for beatemups and platform games like mario cos they dont make em on the PC.

Assertn
Sat, 07-24-2004, 08:23 PM
wtf are you smoking r3n? what rpgs are there on pc that arent on console? (and MMORPGS do NOT count)

edit: btw, congrats on being a jounin now i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Nara Shikamaru VI
Sat, 07-24-2004, 09:43 PM
most RPG on pc have open end character design that means u can make yer character from scratch eg Never Winter Nights, Tmeple Elemental Evil, Knights of the Old Republic and so forth, i must add that most of such game does not have strong story line because of such open ended character design. and i fear Fable will play like one of those games. i dont know about u guys, but what i look for in a good rpg is a good storyline, but some look for freedom, it depends really. and console RPG mainly focus on storyline but PC are freedom.

Assertn
Sat, 07-24-2004, 10:42 PM
nwn? you consider that an rpg? i dunno....the diablo-style games i never consider as an rpg

Mut
Sun, 07-25-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
I feel an urge to close this, but I suddenly realized that the poor kid actually isn't breaking any rules...!!!

he's breaking the "don't be a fgt by selling your ps2" rule.

Raven
Sun, 07-25-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
nwn? you consider that an rpg? i dunno....the diablo-style games i never consider as an rpg
Whaa.... NwN a Diablo-style game? Since when?

Assertn
Sun, 07-25-2004, 11:06 AM
since they decided to make it a realtime combat scenario where you can click on enemies to attack directly or click on spells/items and THEN on enemies to attack indirectly

a TRUE rpg is a turn-based one

Masamune
Sun, 07-25-2004, 11:37 AM
a true rpg is one where you make decision for your character, decides his character, and act accordingly.

it has nothing to do with combat.

for example FF . well respected serie, but all in all , its like reading a book . you follow a prewritten line.

in nwn you have a much bigger choice of options.

baldurs gate was a very good example of a good rpg..

saying a good rpg has to be turn based is bs really.
but if you'd deepen a little into what you are saying , it's based on DnD , and it is turn based. it's not click/slash

it's a 6 second turn base combat system. hence the more attacks you get when lvling up , or the abilities like quicken spell. so u get to do more in those 6 seconds.

Assertn
Sun, 07-25-2004, 11:54 AM
yes yes, and by the same token diablo is like that..with leveling up and specifying abilities/attributes for your character
but the ability to hit and run and perform actions in realtime is why i say its more "diablo style"......which is what still holds true regardless of whether you consider that style like an rpg or not

besides......you cant argue that Final fantasy and NWN are so vastly different that they belong in different genres, can you? when newer ideas and innovations enter the gaming industry, then newer genres are created......why dont you RPG fanboys accept this and allow the vastness of your genre to split into 2 groups as well? i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Masamune
Sun, 07-25-2004, 01:41 PM
my post wasnt to explain the real time actions.

it was to make clear

saying TRUE rpg's are turn based is wrong

jing
Sun, 07-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Just wait for a PS3....
and THEN sell your ps2, to buy an xbox TOO!! patience my friend.

Knives122
Sun, 07-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by: Masamune
a true rpg is one where you make decision for your character, decides his character, and act accordingly.

it has nothing to do with combat.

for example FF . well respected serie, but all in all , its like reading a book . you follow a prewritten line.

in nwn you have a much bigger choice of options.

baldurs gate was a very good example of a good rpg..

saying a good rpg has to be turn based is bs really.
but if you'd deepen a little into what you are saying , it's based on DnD , and it is turn based. it's not click/slash

it's a 6 second turn base combat system. hence the more attacks you get when lvling up , or the abilities like quicken spell. so u get to do more in those 6 seconds.

dont forget about SW:KOTOR, one of the best decide RPGs ever

Nara Shikamaru VI
Sun, 07-25-2004, 07:22 PM
at the end of the day just dont sell yer PS2. save a littlebit more and buy an xbox. it may seem like alot of developer are whoring themself to xbox, even i was shocked to hear that squareenix prisedent mentioning abouit a slight intrested in developing for xbox. wait till all yer RPG are out and fully rated by mag or get feedback by other people before jumping into the bandwagon.

Assertn
Sun, 07-25-2004, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by: jing
Just wait for a PS3....
and THEN sell your ps2, to buy an xbox TOO!! patience my friend.

that wouldnt work......because by then the value of the ps2 would drop as well (probably moreso than the xbox)

you'd have to sell the ps2 NOW, and then buy the xbox when the ps3 comes out....or xbox 2 perhaps

Raven
Sun, 07-25-2004, 09:13 PM
Just thought I'd mention, NwN isn't real time. It's still turn-based, each side takes a turn to perform an action, it just presented in a visual real-time illusion. It still follows all the d&d3 rules, pretty much as far away from Diablo as you can get. The 'point and click' element just another way of shaping and structuring the turn-based interface.

hiddenpookie
Sun, 07-25-2004, 10:10 PM
ff7 is enough for me i dont care about all the new rpg's
and no nara Halo is not hype. look at all the reviews,and how many copies its selling
ps2 is great but it just bores me all i play on the ps2 is ffX-2 and its still not that great. but in the end Pc ownz all.
but yeah get an xbox KOTOR is better than most of ps2's rpg's

ANTicz
Sun, 07-25-2004, 11:41 PM
There's only 2 types of games I play on the console: Fighting games and linear RPGs (linear RPGs are like Final Fantasy and stuff), because that's all that's worth playing on a console... if you want graphics, an ATI 9800XT or GeForce 5190FX (not top of the line anymore, but still good) and you've got yourself some graphics... the thing about the computer: there are things called emulators out there that enables you to play console games on your computer... FPS on a console is the dumbest thing ever...

I don't play sports games or racing games because I find them rather boring, but if you're into those games, and the consoles do it for ya, hey knock yourself out, go buy a console (but no console beats a hi res monitor + good graphics card, if you're into graphics...)
As for HALO 2... let's see if it can beat Half Life 2...

hiddenpookie
Mon, 07-26-2004, 12:31 AM
emulators own all lol

Iznogoud
Tue, 07-27-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo

Aha i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Assertn
Tue, 07-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
Just thought I'd mention, NwN isn't real time. It's still turn-based, each side takes a turn to perform an action, it just presented in a visual real-time illusion. It still follows all the d&d3 rules, pretty much as far away from Diablo as you can get. The 'point and click' element just another way of shaping and structuring the turn-based interface.

yes yes.....i know......
but it still presents itself in a way that requires the player to think and act in real time

(its been a long time for both games, so i dont exactly remember) but if in diablo how fast you shoot or how fast you can do stuff or even your chances of success and junk is limited by your stats, then whether or not an imaginary dice roll is taking place is hardly what i'd say a big difference between a true-to-D&D game and diablo

Koyuki
Thu, 08-12-2004, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't sell my ps2. There's lots of games from Japan, like naruto, fma++
I have a xbox and a GC. Still i want ps2. Manily because of the japanese games.

oceen246
Thu, 08-12-2004, 11:28 AM
just do like me, sell everything, except your PC, and wait for the PS3

Kakafosha
Thu, 08-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by: CmDr_RavEn
All I can say is, the people who obsess so much over Halo on Xbox (as opposed to PC) obviously haven't fully experienced the true joy of using a mouse and keyboard. Once you're used to the mouse and keyboard, there's no going back. The controller is an inferior system to use for FPS games, there's no way it can possibly compete.

EDIT: Agreed, Assertn, M&L Superstars was fantastic! Might play through it again actually.

hell yea the mouse and keyboard is a lot better than the xbox controller. the best fps games i've ever played were on the computer, bf1942, call of duty, and counter-strike to name a few. i've always been a ps2 fan, i have really never liked any games that are on xbox or gamecube. im also not very fond of sports game and halo, they're not really fun. i've just started playing natural selection, a half-life mod, and thats like 100 times more fun than halo to me. oh, and btw, if i didnt have my ps2 and instead had an xbox i wouldnt be able to play my naruto game XD

Deblas
Mon, 08-16-2004, 09:08 PM
geez, raise some money and buy the xbox and keep the ps2. It worked for me. I got good rpgs in the ps2 and the kickass halo first person pt of view in xobx