PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Subtitles after burning

leCock
Fri, 07-23-2004, 12:49 PM
Hello
I hope someone can help me out. I am trying to burn all naruto Episodes on DVDs, since they consume too much hdd space. The burining isn`t a problem, but I can`t watch the episodes on TV, because the bottom of the subtitles are cut off. I am using TMPGEnc to encode the episodes. Anyone knows how t fix it?
blessed be

Einzelgänger
Fri, 07-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Only way I have been able to get around it is my DVD player has a zoom out function, once zoomed out, the subtitles are fine, but there is a letterbox effect, black bars on the top and bottom of the screen, but its all good.

Darkflare
Fri, 07-23-2004, 01:14 PM
its because the aspect ratio is messed up, i believe. when you encode you need to set the correct aspect ratio. i cant pull the aspect ratio right off the top of my head right now though... this should go in one of the support forums.

bitwar
Sat, 07-24-2004, 03:05 AM
Umm, when i encoded the first time (for VCDs), i had this problem, but it was because the image you see on the TV is slightly less than the whole picture. So I downloaded AVIsynth, which allows you to make .avs files (you can use Notepad or Wordpad) for your .avi files. It sort of sets up the size it will be encoded to, and also lets you add borders to the sides and top of the video, allowing you to see the whole picture (or close to it). the .avs files (for MPEG-1 VCDs, i'm sure DVDs will look different) look like this.

avisource("C:\Folder\Folder\Folder\Naruto84.avi")
BilinearResize(352,240)
addborders(17,13,19,15)

The "Folder" things are place holders for actual folders (since my path is long). And I believe the order of the borders is left, top, right, bottom. Oh, and the addborders is actually done before the resize is done, so those numbers are based on the original 640x480 .avi files from ANBU/AonE.

If this works for DVDs the same way (you're using TMPGEnc, same as me), then in the wizard, you can just open up the .avs file as your source file (may want to run it through Windows Media Player or VirtualDub to make sure it works) and you're good to go without too many wories.

Now I don't know all the ins and outs of TMPGEnc, as I've always encoded this way, but I believe you can tell TMPGEnc to do the resizing and borders itself, but I've also heard that it encodes faster using the .avs files.

Note that for widescreen and movies of different resolutions, you'll have to try to figure out the borders yourself. If you need help with those, PM, IM, or email me and I'll get back to you as fast as i can. Or ask a friend who knows more than me, since i only know what i know, and that isn't much. I use photoshop if that bit helps anyone.

Oh, and files with AC3 audio require that you use VirtualDub to save the audio from the movie as a .wav file (File / Save WAV) to input into TMPGEnc as the source audio.

And if ANYONE knows how to do this crap with .mkv files, please tell me, as that's one of the many things i don't know.

leCock
Sat, 07-24-2004, 01:06 PM
Heya
Thanks for your help. Tried AviSnyth, but I am not really good in coding i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif
That's why I use Virtualdub now, to add borders. It`s pretty simple:

- Open movie in Virtualdub
- Go to Video->filters
- Add resize
- New width/hight is your actual size
- Check the "expand frame" box
- Insert you new width/hight

And sorry for using this board, haven't seen the Support section i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

blessed be

Omri
Mon, 01-03-2005, 02:59 PM
Thank you very much, but this is as far as I got.
I got the same problem as you, but I don't know what to put in the width/highet.
PLEASE HELP ME!!! ANYONE!

Mut
Mon, 01-03-2005, 03:32 PM
wrong forum. moved.

Omri
Mon, 01-03-2005, 03:38 PM
It's me again...I can't figure it out, damn...I want it to work!!!
I finally managed to do the black stripes from up and down, but still...WHAT SHOULD I DO NOW??
I NEVER INCODED BEFORE!!!

stos289
Wed, 01-05-2005, 07:51 PM
LeCock (or to anyone who knows this), a quick question. What width and height did you use in Virtual Dub? I have tried using Virtual Dub before, but I never knew the correct width and height to use to make the the subtitles raised. If anybody could provide me with an answer, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.