PDA

View Full Version : Poll: What type of anime (as far as movies/television, not specific genres) do you enjoy the most?

KameronFrye
Wed, 07-21-2004, 11:54 PM
My favorite is the typical 26 episode. The big, gaping series such as Naruto and Full Metal leave me with too much frustration. Stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Trigun pissed me off, sure; but I also felt that it had excellent character development as well. Not that FMA and Naruto don't, it's just taken so long to do so, and one facet of backstory can come out at the worst time (i.e. backstory on Rock Lee in the middle of his fight with Gaara. Sure, it was rad, but their fight was far better).

ExTREm-San
Wed, 07-21-2004, 11:57 PM
From those options we got there I choosed Average Serie - 26eps even though I'm a big fan of HNI/Kenshin/HNG and a smaller fan och Naruto. ^__^

ShinobiNeko
Thu, 07-22-2004, 12:07 AM
I chose the 40+, because most of the anime that I like fall into that category (One Piece, Naruto, FMA, Fushigi Yuugi, Fullmoon wo Sagashite), I like anime that's longer that just a season (26) since usually I like it and want to see more, and one season wouldn't be enough ^^;

Munsu
Thu, 07-22-2004, 12:11 AM
I chose OVA solely because most of the best stories told through anime are on OVAs.... but I do prefer 40+ episodes, it is just that the quality in the OVAs are much better....

Now if they can adapt the story to a 40+ episode series (where possible) I think it would be better...

KameronFrye
Thu, 07-22-2004, 12:13 AM
I definitely enjoy the long running stuff, but I look at my anime collection on my PC and my room, and counting the actual series (not the number of DVDs/Gb of HD space), I have more 26ish stuff than anything. After that comes movies, both stand alones and series movies, then to the long running stuff.

Aeon
Thu, 07-22-2004, 12:16 AM
I picked long running cause they have more then one plot. Plus they give you a weekly fix longer then a average anime.

Uzumaki Naruto
Thu, 07-22-2004, 12:27 AM
idk why picked average 26 eps but now i really wish i can go back and change the vote, really i enjoy 40+ eps bc usually it will end up having a good story and good fighting scenes too and some of them have historical events slighty modified but its there

Swallow Your Soul
Thu, 07-22-2004, 12:37 AM
I chose OVAs because generally I really seem to like them...but at the same time its kind of depressing that most of them are so good that they leave you wanting more (which generally turns you to the manga that many of them were based on which is a pretty good thing...unless there is no manga on which its based like with Bubblegum Crisis! (I've not seen the 2040 series of that yet but I'm not sure I like the idea of a revamped version...)).

Different stories require different format though, so its hard to really say what is the best type of anime is best...

ShinobiNeko
Thu, 07-22-2004, 12:41 AM
Swallow Your Soul, the whole 'leaving you wanting to see more' is why I didn't choose OVA for the pole. And I agree that it makes you want to go and read the manga, that's what happend to me with the Angel Sanctuary OVA..that ending was just i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif , when I first saw that I looked around for another volume when I found out there wasn't any more..was v e r y dissapointed..so turned to manga scanlations and read those.

Arcn3ss
Thu, 07-22-2004, 12:52 AM
Wow...That is the longest thread name ever...EVER..

I picked AVeg of 26 episodes. If they do it correctly 26 episodes is great and all you need for a great anime. I do like 40+ episodes sometimes, but then you run the risk of getting a hella of alot of filler episodes.

Sure there are some anime's that have 26 episodes, yet most are filter and they rush the ending. Bleh I hate that.

thundrakkon
Thu, 07-22-2004, 12:58 AM
I choose 26 episode average just because it is long enough. I like closure to series, and I hate it when a series ends and leaves you hanging. 26 is just long enough. Midori no Hibi (13 eps) was a bit too short for my taste, and it left me wanting more.

Eurasian
Thu, 07-22-2004, 01:20 AM
i chose long running those 40+ episodes serie. the reason they r so long is because they r good and popular. if the series is this long, they have the expense of creating more well-develop characters so there could be a character for everyone to like. a lot of my favorite animes are more than 40 episodes. yah, that's another reason i chose it.

KameronFrye
Thu, 07-22-2004, 03:44 AM
I wish I had put up "Manga" as an option, that might have made the choices for at least one or two people a little harder....

So no one likes movies at all? =(

C'mon, someone out here has to have love for Appleseed, Metropolis, Castle in the Sky... =b

Munsu
Thu, 07-22-2004, 05:56 AM
Well that we did like those movies doesnt mean that we prefer movies over a series... I mean if you take any story and characters and offer me a movie about it or a series about it, I am always going to choose the series

PCAnImaX
Thu, 07-22-2004, 06:00 AM
I like both the 26+ & 40+ episodes but to choose between them I think 40+ will be best since you get to more plots more in depth storylines and burn more unused time watching them i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif.

I don't really go for movies unless they really have a good plot and endings as most of them will left you hanging...

KameronFrye
Thu, 07-22-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by: Budweineken
Well that we did like those movies doesnt mean that we prefer movies over a series... I mean if you take any story and characters and offer me a movie about it or a series about it, I am always going to choose the series

You've got a point there Bud. Still looks like an even split over 26 eps and 40+eps going on, with a few folks going to OVAs. It's a really hard vote, I donno if I should have put so many options on it, but then again this is the first poll I've done. =b

PSJ
Thu, 07-22-2004, 04:23 PM
i picked long running shows. like them the best, not saying that there arent any good short or average series tho.

kupalmaru
Sat, 07-24-2004, 09:27 PM
I choose the average episode.

Do you count Tenchi average or long running episode. Tenchi has a lot of episode but thay are not really continouslike Naruto.

Death BOO Z
Sun, 07-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Tenchi had a couple of series, each is seperate...
Tenchi muyo the OVA SERIES: 13 eps
Tenchi muyo universe: 26 eps
Tenchi muto GXP (it's the tenchi without the tenchi!): 26
Tenchi muyo in tokyo: i thinkg 26
Tenchi muto ryo ohki OVA: i have no idea..

I voted for the 26'ers, even though some of my favorites are longer... it's just that when you watch something long like one piece, you never know if you'll be able to watch it end (for example, unless Naruto ends in 60 eps, i won't be able to continue watching it once a week, and i'll be forced to relay on my brother getting it to me), and with 26 episodes animes, you can watch it all without mentally killing yourself (I can't imagine how do the guys who watched PoT from ep 1 feel... they've grown about 3 years since they've started it, and still, no end in sight)....

i liked Azumange Daioh, though, my all time comedy favorite, but i didn't watch much short eps anime (i did watch some of sexy commando, t'was funny!)

KameronFrye
Sun, 07-25-2004, 02:24 PM
Tenchi is hard to say what it is, I personally would say it is several different series all together, since they don't all necessarily tie in to each other.

Kenshin, I can view as individual arcs as 26 Eps apiece, but I also see it being an epic 40+. I don't feel looking at it either way is wrong, some people I know only watch the second arc and not the rest.

ANTicz
Sun, 07-25-2004, 11:57 PM
I voted for Individual Movies... because I like movies, they should make more movies! But I guess the bread and butter of anime is the series type animes....
My second choice would be 26 ep series, because most of the 13 eps animes are usually not very deep, just kinda hoohaa entertainment type series or they play more like OVAs...
Some of the best anime's are 26 eps after all: Cowboy Bebop, Eva, Trigun, etc...
Those 40+ ep animes are fun, but they get on your nerves sometimes, some you just want to say GAWD! GET ON WITH IT ALREADY!
Ofcourse those long series have the DBZ effect many times too (the stare and grunt, stare and grunt episodes...)

globefish_poison
Mon, 07-26-2004, 12:44 PM
I don't care how long they are, as long as I can stay interested in the darn thing im ok.