PDA

View Full Version : What was your first anime?

KameronFrye
Mon, 07-19-2004, 11:49 PM
My first movie was Akira, back in the 80s. I watched it and a few other things, mainly Macross/Robotech. I got out of it until the 90s, and Golgo 13 brought me back into it. Trigun was the first series I collected, started right before volume six came out. Ah, such fond memories...

Darkflare
Mon, 07-19-2004, 11:52 PM
First anime i watched that i was aware of if Love Hina. i watched DBZ several years before that or whatever but i thought it was just another cartoon.

calvin9988
Mon, 07-19-2004, 11:56 PM
DBZ, heheh

Assertn
Tue, 07-20-2004, 12:14 AM
well.......i saw a little bit of db on saturday morning cartoons back in like, 10 years ago......and i thought the anime style looked dumb

then my friend got me into dbz several years after that

AlbinoFury
Tue, 07-20-2004, 12:42 AM
yeh dbz for me too, then i saw that it was just the tip of the iceberg and paled in comparison to other great shows i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

tensai
Tue, 07-20-2004, 12:48 AM
the original dragonball for me, best out of the three
but the freeza saga was cool, except for the runon eps

ShinobiNeko
Tue, 07-20-2004, 12:54 AM
First one for me was the Unico movies, back when I was in elementary school, though I didn't know it was anime then but found out later it was and was by Osamu Tezuka ^^

XwingRob
Tue, 07-20-2004, 01:22 AM
The first one I started watching regularaly was Samurai Pizza Cats.

Himura_san
Tue, 07-20-2004, 01:23 AM
My first anime series was Robotech and Voltraun.
I also watched those small children anime like Heidi of the Alps, Belle and Sebastian, Maya the Bee, and Marco.
I was too young to realize these shows were anime.
My first anime movie was Akira and it made me realize how awesome anime was.
However the first anime that made me enjoy anime series was Rorouni Kenshin and the rest is history.

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 07-20-2004, 01:28 AM
First anime (not including series that I watched as a kid like Transformers etc) I saw was Ghost In The Shell, which I bought on DVD after seeing a few short descriptions of the major anime movies on Japanorama. I just felt like something different and new (to me) so I bought it, then borrowed a few films off a mate who had Akira, X etc. First series that got me into downloading anime was Street Fighter 2 V off Kazaa, then GitS:SAC which drew me to Gotwoot in the first place back before there was a forum.

thundrakkon
Tue, 07-20-2004, 01:35 AM
I would have to say Gatchaman or Battle of the Planets, though I don't really remember much about them. I didn't even realize they were Anime, but I really didn't get into Anime until I saw Robotech 2 the Sentinels and Gunbuster (one of my all time favorites).

ExTREm-San
Tue, 07-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Naruto was the forst serie I started to watch. A friend of mine always keeped on whining about this serie and me watch it. So one day I had to download a ep to see the serie so he would stop all the bröööl stuff. ^__^

Eurasian
Tue, 07-20-2004, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by: XwingRob
The first one I started watching regularaly was Samurai Pizza Cats.

where i lived, it aired right after Sailormoon! that's a hot show.

my first anime is doraemon. that's what i call a classic. and i still enjoy it now...nothing beats that! (well, naruto is almost there)

bitwar
Tue, 07-20-2004, 02:56 AM
(In order of occurence)

First anime. . . Hmm... I THINK my first was Robotech (not sure what else I watched when I was a kid that might have been anime), even though it was altered a bit from the original Super Dimentional Fortress Macross. Watched on what I later found out were further edited VHS copies (now watching the remastered DVDs and missing the old gunpod sound effects).

My first REAL anime (straight transition, changed only the language from Japanese to English, dubbed in other words) was Bio-Booster Armor Guyver (also my first manga) when it was released by US Renditions before Manga Video came along.

My first anime that I watched being aired on American TV was... Sailor Moon?

My first OAV, and also first subbed anime (arguably my real first REAL anime...) was Appleseed (US Renditions release, pre-Manga Video).

First anime OST, Macross Plus (been a Yoko Kanno fan since).

My first anime movie was Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie (uncut version).

First anime series (TV or OAV) that I bought all the volumes of, Macross Plus.

First fansub, Princess Mononoke.

First anime I saw in an American theater, Princess Mononoke.

First anime on bilingual DVD (ooo...), Princess Mononoke.

First fansub I went through the trouble of finding and downloading myself instead of relying on friends... NARUTO!!

P.S. sorry for the detailed post, I get like that when it's almost 3 AM. . . i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Munsu
Tue, 07-20-2004, 02:57 AM
My first ones where the original Dragonball and Kenshin... but I didnt watch anymore... maybe some Gundam SEED

But what got me in to the anime community and anime world in general was when I first got my hands on GetBackers and Naruto... now I have watched soooo many serieses that I can't even count them (probably could but I am to lazy)

PS:... I wish to thank Bittorrent, IRC, and Emule for bringing me all my anime needs when i want them... Without them all my accomplishments couldnt have been possible...

Swallow Your Soul
Tue, 07-20-2004, 03:52 AM
Originally posted by: bitwar

Uncut you say?

*gets paranoid*

Is the Manga Video DVD version (apparently 'remastered') cut?? i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif If so, know where the uncut one is available?

Uberbaka
Tue, 07-20-2004, 06:53 AM
Here in Norway anime hasn't really caught on on television until late... (unless you count pokemon and beyblade or whatever, but that's relatively recent stuff)

So my first experience was Ghost in the shell on some obscure channel at 4 am =P Damn that was worth it, loved every minute and i was hooked.

DeluxSkillz
Tue, 07-20-2004, 09:20 AM
first anime was bio-booster armor guyver, samurai pizza cats, tenchi muyo, dbz, akira and whole lot of other anime i was so happy when i found out a store that had like a hundred or even more tapes of anime watched a lot of old shows then since 2 years or so i got into dowloading anime from the net

ANTicz
Tue, 07-20-2004, 11:11 AM
The first anime I watched was like when I was 2, and I don't remember what it was, I remember watching DragonBall back in the day (this was before I moved to the US, so I didn't know any english, in fact, I didn't know any languages that well period...) The first anime I watched knowing it was anime was Lodoss Wars, it was a raw (no sub or dub) on VHS... First dubbed anime I watched was Tenchi Muyo and the first fansubbed anime I watched was Vandread...

Stoopider
Tue, 07-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Possibly Transformers First generation during the 80's. Which can be considered anime, since it's done by japanese.

Or else, Japanese.. um.. Maybe Doreamon.

Aeon
Tue, 07-20-2004, 01:31 PM
First anime I remember watching as a little kid was either Techno Man or Gigantor on Sci Fi before school. The anime I ever watched knowing that it was anime was Gundam Wing and Heavy Metal 2000.

iminyourbrain
Tue, 07-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by: Aeon
First anime I remember watching as a little kid was either Techno Man or Gigantor on Sci Fi before school. The anime I ever watched knowing that it was anime was Gundam Wing and Heavy Metal 2000.

hell yeah teckno man was the shizznittlebamsnipsnapsak ... it came on sunday @ 11 for me. I think that was my first anime or vampire hunter D which was also the first movie i saw cartoon boobies in.

Knives122
Tue, 07-20-2004, 05:03 PM
The first anime I ever watched was Ronin Warriors,it is still one of my favorties, the first movie was... um well I cant remeber so im going to Say The first Tenchi muyo movie since that was the one I actually remember since I cant recall the earliest

Eurasian
Tue, 07-20-2004, 06:21 PM
Ok, Doraemon is like THE classic. how come nobody watched it?

InnerSakuraChan
Tue, 07-20-2004, 09:43 PM
well, don't laugh.

pokemon was my first anime.
I choose you . . . pikachu!!!

maybe it was another, but i dont remember.

but that hardly counts.

my first non-dubed anime series was trigun.
first move: Princess Mononoke - which clued me in on how cool anime could be.

NM
Tue, 07-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Dragonball Z, Outlaw Star, and Tenchi Muyo got me into anime.

P-Virus
Wed, 07-21-2004, 12:16 AM
My first was the original Mazinger Z and it was like 18 years ago

wh173b0y
Wed, 07-21-2004, 12:20 AM
my first anime was akira. which i quickly followed with evangelion. so i got off to a weird kind of start.

bitwar
Wed, 07-21-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by: Swallow Your Soul

Uncut you say?

*gets paranoid*

Is the Manga Video DVD version (apparently 'remastered') cut?? If so, know where the uncut one is available?

When it was first released on VHS back in the mid 90s (by Renegade Video and Manga), there was a PG-13 version (edited out blood and the "bad" language) and an Uncut version. Like the Uncut has Dee-Jay say "Yahoo! Now they are some bad-ass mothers" and the PG-13 is "Yahoo! Now they are some really bad people" or something equally terrible. I bought the uncut version at Suncoast when it first came out (back when they like checked for age when you bought anime, even Sailor Moon). Later I found that even the Uncut version was edited. All they took out was Chun-Li's nude chest (and maybe a shot of her rear end) during the shower scene, but they also changed the music. No great loss, as the editing on the music in the original absolutely SUCKED, and the music really didn't fit the feel of the movie. It's one of the only anime that I prefer the dubbed version's music over the original (it's not done too often now, but some of the DBZ movies have better music on the dub, and I prefer the full orchestra music for the dub of Castle in the Sky). They also refuse to put it out widescreen (unless the DVD version is widescreen). So the Manga Entertainment DVD of Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is as uncut as you can get in the US without finding a fansub, and good luck doing that. I got one at a comic convention a few years ago. The only good thing is the original dialogue track and the widescreen, the music sucks (and Chun-Li's chest shots would only excite high school freshmen and younger).

Oh and another thing, since Fei Long is supposed to be a take-off of Bruce Lee, he's supposed to make the same high pitched noise when fighting that Bruce did. Not so in the original Japanese. That scene really let me down. So yeah, for once, I think the dub might actually be better too. I never thought I'd say that. . .

Lucian5000
Wed, 07-21-2004, 02:19 AM
at 12 years old. Pokemon, and Sailor Moon.

Was I ever young enough to enjoy those? O_o

Swallow Your Soul
Wed, 07-21-2004, 03:40 AM
When it was first released on VHS back in the mid 90s (by Renegade Video and Manga), there was a PG-13 version (edited out blood and the "bad" language) and an Uncut version. Like the Uncut has Dee-Jay say "Yahoo! Now they are some bad-ass mothers" and the PG-13 is "Yahoo! Now they are some really bad people" or something equally terrible. I bought the uncut version at Suncoast when it first came out (back when they like checked for age when you bought anime, even Sailor Moon). Later I found that even the Uncut version was edited. All they took out was Chun-Li's nude chest (and maybe a shot of her rear end) during the shower scene, but they also changed the music. No great loss, as the editing on the music in the original absolutely SUCKED, and the music really didn't fit the feel of the movie. It's one of the only anime that I prefer the dubbed version's music over the original (it's not done too often now, but some of the DBZ movies have better music on the dub, and I prefer the full orchestra music for the dub of Castle in the Sky). They also refuse to put it out widescreen (unless the DVD version is widescreen). So the Manga Entertainment DVD of Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie is as uncut as you can get in the US without finding a fansub, and good luck doing that. I got one at a comic convention a few years ago. The only good thing is the original dialogue track and the widescreen, the music sucks (and Chun-Li's chest shots would only excite high school freshmen and younger).

Oh and another thing, since Fei Long is supposed to be a take-off of Bruce Lee, he's supposed to make the same high pitched noise when fighting that Bruce did. Not so in the original Japanese. That scene really let me down. So yeah, for once, I think the dub might actually be better too. I never thought I'd say that. . .

I think maybe the DVD, or at least the DVD I have - it is rated 15 (UK age rating) is uncut, seeing as there is the amount of blood that I'd expect and the Chun Li nudity before the fight with Vega. Thats why I wondered, because it seemed like it couldn't be cut because of the stuff that was in the one I have. But I always get paranoid when I hear about stuff getting censored cos its so pointless most of the time...

It does have a load of non-Japanese music in it by bands like Alice In Chains and KMFDM (or MDFMK)...also in the credits the former Marilyn Manson guitarist John Lowery was credited for guitar (presumably music cues...that was before he joined Manson though...).

I can't remember if Fei Long did the Bruce Lee noises...but then I hated the extra characters from Super Street Fighter 2 cos I grew up on World Warrior - though if I remember right Cammy did some extremely cool move near the start i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Lefty
Wed, 07-21-2004, 10:41 AM
My First anime series were Voltron and Macross(Robotech). This was back in the late Eighties, yes thats right. I'm an old fart(20) compared to most of you yougins, but those were the days.

Lucian5000
Wed, 07-21-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm 18, and Voltron's before my time.