PDA

View Full Version : Next Mayazaki film.

Himura_san
Mon, 07-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Here are some images from Howl's moving castle being directed by Mayazaki sensei.

Enjoy!

http://www.myimgs.com/data/Durango2004/howl1.jpg

http://www.myimgs.com/data/Durango2004/howl2.jpg

http://www.myimgs.com/data/Durango2004/howl3.jpg

http://www.myimgs.com/data/Durango2004/howl4.jpg

http://www.myimgs.com/data/Durango2004/howl5.jpg

Lefty
Mon, 07-19-2004, 09:23 PM
If it's Miyazaki then it should be a very well done Fantasy film. I have always enjoyed his films.

Eurasian
Mon, 07-19-2004, 10:26 PM
is miyazaki the one who created Spirited Away and Totoro??? cuz that old lady from the 4th picture looks like the old lady from Spirited Away. i wanna see this!!!!!!! Spirited Away is like the best anime film ever!!!

ShinobiNeko
Mon, 07-19-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by: Eurasian
is miyazaki the one who created Spirited Away and Totoro??? cuz that old lady from the 4th picture looks like the old lady from Spirited Away. i wanna see this!!!!!!! Spirited Away is like the best anime film ever!!!

Yup. Miyazaki created Sprited Away and Totoro, and Princess Mononoke too.

Eurasian
Mon, 07-19-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by: ShinobiNeko
[Yup. Miyazaki created Sprited Away and Totoro, and Princess Mononoke too.

Seriously, how can i forget Princess Mononoke?! i feel stupid. but thanx for ur answer. Now i can say..."MIYAZAKI IS A GENIUS!!!" cuz now i actaully now who he is i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

bitwar
Tue, 07-20-2004, 03:30 AM
(Lupin III) Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, (Laputa) Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away have been all his movies (as director/writer) up to this point, I believe (not entirely sure of the order, but I think I got pretty close).

Howl's Moving Castle is actually a British novel, first of two. So it's REALLY fun to see Miyazaki making an anime movie out of it (especially since I think he's the only one who could pull it off).

Oh, and Jo Hisaishi has done the OSTs since Nausicaa. I love his music, and I KNOW he's doing Howl as well. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif Happiness. . .

Himura_san
Tue, 07-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by: bitwar
(Lupin III) Castle of Cagliostro, Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, (Laputa) Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, and Spirited Away have been all his movies (as director/writer) up to this point, I believe (not entirely sure of the order, but I think I got pretty close).

Howl's Moving Castle is actually a British novel, first of two. So it's REALLY fun to see Miyazaki making an anime movie out of it (especially since I think he's the only one who could pull it off).

Oh, and Jo Hisaishi has done the OSTs since Nausicaa. I love his music, and I KNOW he's doing Howl as well. Happiness. . .

You forgot an important Miyazaki work and that is Grave of the Fireflies!

Eurasian
Tue, 07-20-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by: Himura_san

Grave of the Fireflies!!! I think that movie is ridiculously sad. I can't believe such misfortune fell upon these little children. And the sad thing is...it might actually be true...well, at least somewhere close to it.
i don't think i can watch that movie again...it's just too sad. i was in a mellow mood after i watched it.

I still think Spirited Away is the best!! HAKU AND CHIHIRO!!!!!!

Himura_san
Tue, 07-20-2004, 08:17 PM

Grave of the Fireflies!!! I think that movie is ridiculously sad. I can't believe such misfortune fell upon these little children. And the sad thing is...it might actually be true...well, at least somewhere close to it.
i don't think i can watch that movie again...it's just too sad. i was in a mellow mood after i watched it.

GOTF, by Akiyuki Nosaka is based on some of the authors own experiences during/after the war.
Read this: http://www.geocities.com/ronin_tigris/nosakainterview.html

The book is available but only in French.
http://tinyurl.com/6mrav

damn French!!!!!! Why is it not available in English!!!!! argh!!

Eurasian
Tue, 07-20-2004, 08:29 PM
YAH! why french...english is universal!! ENGLISH!!

the authors' own experiences...OMG!!! that's just so sad. RIDICULOUSLY SAD!!!

bitwar
Wed, 07-21-2004, 02:33 AM
No Himura_san, Grave of the Fireflies was written and directed by Isao Takahata, (based on the writings of Akiyuki Nosaka as you said). I have the DVD of Fireflies and just double checked this myself. It was NOT written and directed by Miyazaki, hence not listed among the Miyazaki movies.

It IS a Studio Ghibli movie, as both Takahata and Miyazaki are heads of Ghibli, but that does not make it a Miyazaki movie. The same goes for Pon Poko (Tanuki Wars), and also My Neighbors the Yamadas (among others), which were also Isao Takahata movies.

So I did NOT forget them, as they were on my mind while listing the movies, they are just not Miyazaki movies and therefore do not belong on the list of movies written and directed by Miyazaki.

kupalmaru
Wed, 07-21-2004, 05:18 PM

I have the DVD of the "Grave of the Fireflies" for at least two years now, but I still have not seen it. My freind told me that the story is sad and you kinda cry.
Maybe you should have watch Totoro after the grave of the Fireflies.

I have seen all of this movie except Lupin.

When are they going to realese the film

Jeff_from_MD
Wed, 07-21-2004, 10:11 PM
wow I didn't realize Miyazaki was still planning on another animated production. I thought spirited away WAS his final! *sniff* aaahh well this feels good!!!!!!!!!!

Eurasian
Wed, 07-21-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by: kupalmaru
I have the DVD of the "Grave of the Fireflies" for at least two years now, but I still have not seen it. My freind told me that the story is sad and you kinda cry.
Maybe you should have watch Totoro after the grave of the Fireflies.

that's a really good idea. i shoulda done that. totoro...totoro...look at what u did!! now i have that song stuck in my head.

Himura_san
Thu, 07-22-2004, 02:53 AM
No Himura_san, Grave of the Fireflies was written and directed by Isao Takahata, (based on the writings of Akiyuki Nosaka as you said). I have the DVD of Fireflies and just double checked this myself. It was NOT written and directed by Miyazaki, hence not listed among the Miyazaki movies.

It IS a Studio Ghibli movie, as both Takahata and Miyazaki are heads of Ghibli, but that does not make it a Miyazaki movie. The same goes for Pon Poko (Tanuki Wars), and also My Neighbors the Yamadas (among others), which were also Isao Takahata movies.

So I did NOT forget them, as they were on my mind while listing the movies, they are just not Miyazaki movies and therefore do not belong on the list of movies written and directed by Miyazaki.

Thanks for correcting me, I was misinformed on this. For some reason I think Miyazaki whenever a studio Ghibli work is mentioned ^_^;;; Again I don't know why I attached his name to this.

Sorry to all for the misinformation.

bitwar
Thu, 07-22-2004, 04:55 AM
s'ok, Himura_san. I was in one of those grumpy moods, so forgive me for going off like that. But I'm still right!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

Anyways, as of the end of August I believe, all of Miyaxaki's films through Spirited Away will be available in the US, subbed and dubbed. I don't know if kupalmaru was asking when these would be released or if the question was in reference to Howl's Moving Castle. Howl comes to Japanese theaters sometime towards the end of this year. Depending one whether or not Disney tries to one-up Miyazaki again, we might see it here the end of next year, or the beginning of 2006. They did Tarzan to up the quality of animation to meet Mononoke's standards, and Atlantis to try to do a better adventure movie than Castle in the Sky. You can see the similarities between those last two. Too bad they can't be like Geneon and release the movie here within a year of it premiering in Japan (Appleseed due out here soon, I think). Anyway, enough Disney bashing for now.

Who released what with what MPAA rating:

Castle of Cagliostro (Unrated) - currently available from Manga Entertainment

Princess Mononoke (PG-13) - currently available from Miramax (Disney)

Spirited Away (PG), Castle in the Sky (PG), and Kiki's Delivery Service (G) - currently available from Disney

Nausicaa (Unrated), Porco Rosso (PG), and My Neighbor Totoro (G) - end of August, from Disney (on the same day, save up your money kids)

Manga Entertainment doesn't get MPAA ratings unless they release to US theaters (Perfect Blue, X), I'd give it a PG/PG-13 depending on how picky you are. Disney probably didn't want a PG-13 movie coming out directly from them, rather than through Miramax, hence Nausicaa's lack of a rating. Wimps. I don't know, it seemed pretty PG to me. . .

Totoro has been out dubbed and fullscreen only from Fox (VHS and DVD), but Disney is redubbing with a new cast and releasing it with the subbed version, like all the others they've done. And a horrifically edited version of Nausicaa was released back in the 80s in the US called Warriors of the Wind. Disney's release is the ORIGINAL version, not that piece of cr@p.

All these movies are on bilingual DVD, widescreen. The dubs usually have a pretty good cast (Patrick Stewart as Yupa and Uma Thurman as Princess Kushana in Nausicaa for starters). Castle in the Sky's dubbed version has a full orchestra score, updated from the original synthesized music (new score composed by Jo Hisaishi, the movie's original composer) but the subbed version keps the original music score (for all you purists). And if you want the new soundtrack for Castle in the Sky, you need to look online for import CDs as Disney REFUSES to release the soundtracks to any of the movies so far, except Mononoke and Spirited Away (gets angry at Disney yet again i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif ).

P.S. AWW CRAP!! I just found out that Disney has delayed Nausicaa, Totoro, and Proco til "early 2005"! PUNK ASS BASTARDS!!!!

Eurasian
Thu, 07-22-2004, 06:03 PM
damn! they found those A-list tistletowners for the voices. quite impressive.

kupalmaru
Thu, 07-22-2004, 08:18 PM
They also have some great actor for the dubbing of Mononoke.

I have seen Mononoke at least 9 or 10 times now. Mononke's magic never fade nor it got boring(I bought the Miramax DVD). I practically all know what the character are going to say, not 100% maybe around 70% to 80%.

Then I decided to watch the sub version of it and it prcatically throw me off. There is some thing that is really different from the sub and dub version, but I think things like that are part of the dubbing. It is hard to do a dubbing.

I hope Disney or some company will pick up Howl and release it in Canada. Miyasaki's film are good and I rate his movie with a high replay value.

NM
Thu, 07-22-2004, 08:28 PM
In a nutshell, Miyasaki's films are perhaps the greatest films ever produced. Spirited Away and Princess Monoke are my all time favorites.

ShinobiNeko
Thu, 07-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Yeah definately have to give Miyazaki credit, he makes some awesome anime movies, ^_^ mononoke and sprited away were great, hope this next one is just as good.

kupalmaru
Thu, 07-22-2004, 10:12 PM
One time Miyasaki is on a party and he saw a girl without her parent; the girl is loss.

This event is the inspiration for the movie Spirited Away. It's amazing how Miyasaki started from that and created one of the greatest anime.

I got this things from the review show "Ebert and Ropert". Ebert is a friend of Miyasaki.

ShinobiNeko
Thu, 07-22-2004, 10:24 PM
@_@ really? I remember reading something that said Miyazaki got his idea from his friends daughter

kupalmaru
Fri, 07-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by: ShinobiNeko
@_@ really? I remember reading something that said Miyazaki got his idea from his friends daughter

Maybe that loss girl is her daughter's friends.

I just want to correct my early statement. The girl is not really really loss, she just got seperated from her parents.

I seen the Ebert and Roepert show long time ago, maybe Im wrong.

Eurasian
Fri, 07-23-2004, 09:30 PM
that's really is interesting. i would never have came up w/ that kind of idea from a little lost girl...i guess if i did then i would be like miyazaki. he really is a genius.

bitwar
Sat, 07-24-2004, 02:46 AM
that's really is interesting. i would never have came up w/ that kind of idea from a little lost girl...i guess if i did then i would be like miyazaki. he really is a genius.

That's why Miyazaki's "The Man," and you're just another average person, like the rest of us mundanes. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif But yeah, as much as I hate Disney, they do a good job presenting his movies (aside form the whole taking forever and delaying thing). I hope they manage to get Howl done and released quickly with the same quality and without the severely slow and then delayed issues they seem to have with just about every Asian movie they release here.

Himura_san
Sat, 07-24-2004, 03:08 AM

That's why Miyazaki's "The Man," and you're just another average person, like the rest of us mundanes. But yeah, as much as I hate Disney, they do a good job presenting his movies (aside form the whole taking forever and delaying thing). I hope they manage to get Howl done and released quickly with the same quality and without the severely slow and then delayed issues they seem to have with just about every Asian movie they release here.

I loved Disney as a kid and still enjoy the older Disney films, but I cannot stand anything they have done in recent years, it's despicable!

I hope once it's released it gets subbed so I can get to enjoy it.