PDA

View Full Version : video problems

GLS
Mon, 07-19-2004, 07:38 AM
I first noticed this problem yesterday when I was playing Full Metal Alchemist 39[Spoon].

It's a Full Screen mode problem.
When there is any fast-speed animationg going somewhere near the top of the screen, the picture creates a line across the top of the screen that goes at an angle, and it looks really ugly. This is with Windows Media Player.
So naturally, I try Realplayer, put it in theater mode, same damn line.
I try it in Divx, it looks just fine.

Is it because with Winmedia I am using a codec pack (ffdshow), there might be an error in that, or what is it?

complich8
Mon, 07-19-2004, 11:55 AM
ffdshow has been known to introduce artifacts in some things on rare occasions (usually when badly supported codec options are used).

Playback is a tradeoff: ffdshow is easy to use and good for slow machines, but isn't perfect (most people can't tell the difference most of the time anyway though). Using the actual codecs (divx, xvid) gives you better image quality if your computer is fast enough to use the codecs, but isn't slow computer friendly and requires more work to keep updated.

DivX player probably just uses the DivX codec for everything, so that might be your difference there.

GLS
Mon, 07-19-2004, 09:46 PM
would you reccomend me using another player like BSPlayer, The Core Media Player, or VLC Player?
Windows Media is a bother.