PDA

View Full Version : Windows Explorer crashes when I open the *folder* containing Naruto 81-90

Baka-des
Thu, 07-15-2004, 07:02 PM
I recently downloaded ANBU/AonE's Naruto 81-90. When I try to open the folder containing the episodes, Windows Explorer says it encountered an error and needs to close.

Curiously, I have no problems playing the episodes, if for example I just ignore the error message by clicking another window (thereby putting the error message into the background) and then dragging and dropping an anime file into my DivX player.

What's going on, and what can I do to fix it?

I had the same problem with Gantz 1-11, but I had no problems with Naruto 1-80, which I downloaded about a month ago.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I searched for my problem and couldn't find it. Thanks in advance for your help.

NM
Thu, 07-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Im not really sure whats going on with your Explorer but try this method and see if it works. Open up Windows Media Player (or whatever your using) and open up any Naruto episode you want and hopefully, you'll be able to watch it. But about your Explorer crashing like that, sorry, I'm not sure whats going on there.

Baka-des
Thu, 07-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, but like I said in the original message the problem is not that I cannot watch the episodes. It's that I don't want my Explorer crashing every time I open the folder to watch them.

Thanks though.

NM
Thu, 07-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Man, Im getting really hasty with my posts i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif. Sorry about that. Maybe you should restart your computer and open up the folder or do a virus scan.

Baka-des
Thu, 07-15-2004, 08:13 PM
I tried restarting and virus scans, and it doesn't help. Thanks though.

mantismag
Sun, 07-18-2004, 07:22 PM
this is a problem with the encoding crashing the preview in windows XP. there's a wrong pointer or something. using the debug option in visual studio i get this error: "Unhandled exception in explorer.exe (XVID.DLL): 0xC0000094: Integer Divide by Zero." this is an issue with episodes 82-90 dowloaded individually or as the 81-90 package. 83 is not affected. neither is 81. this problem occurs in the detail pane on the left in explorer, when viewed as a thumbnail, and in the preview under properties. i hope this information helps you resolve the issue. if not, well these are being provided free of charge for which i am thankful. i can live with pushing the error window to the back everytime i want to browse through the folders to find an episode.

Baka-des
Sun, 07-18-2004, 08:15 PM
Yes, that's the problem exactly.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit of an idiot (as you may have gathered from my userID), so your spot-on description of the issue doesn't help me resolve it. I'll continue working around it, but it sure is annoying.

Anyone else?

Assertn
Sun, 07-18-2004, 09:13 PM
nope.......i know the problem....

its happened to me before, and its happened to a friend of mine as well.....its codecs issues

windows xp likes to put video folders in thumbnail view, however if its having a problem with a codec, then it will fail to load the thumbnail, and result in crashing

the solution is to uninstall whatever codecs you have now (most likely its the xvid thats causing the problem) and try dling another version or reinstalling it

mantismag
Sun, 07-18-2004, 09:26 PM
well that seems to have fixed it. i uninstalled xvid completely and reinstalled. reinstalling over it didn't work. but after your post i decided to give it another shot. seems perfectly fine now. probably just a matter of the videos being encoded with a newer version than my decoder. xvid has always been a bit flaky with using older versions to play video encoded with a newer version. never had it cause such a big problem before though.

baka - go into add/remove programs and remove any entries for xvid. then make sure the xvid folder is gone. after that download the latest version and install that. hopefully that will work for you as well.

tensai
Sun, 07-18-2004, 09:37 PM
mine did the same thing, but it was the A/A's 1-10 pack instead (i wanted the same sub group)
i read what you guys did, so i did the same thing and deleted it
now it seems fine and nothings happening

damn, windows XP, seems like its full of bugs

Baka-des
Sun, 07-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
nope.......i know the problem....

its happened to me before, and its happened to a friend of mine as well.....its codecs issues

windows xp likes to put video folders in thumbnail view, however if its having a problem with a codec, then it will fail to load the thumbnail, and result in crashing

the solution is to uninstall whatever codecs you have now (most likely its the xvid thats causing the problem) and try dling another version or reinstalling it

Okay, I will try this when I have some time and let you guys know, but it looks like this is the answer. Thanks.

Baka-des
Sun, 07-18-2004, 10:38 PM
It works like a charm; the culprit turns out to be my outdated Xvid codec.

For those who care, I downloaded the updated version of XviD (5JUN04) here (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/xvid.html).

complich8
Mon, 07-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by: tensai
damn, windows XP, seems like its full of bugs

While this statement is not untrue, the problems have less to do with bugs in general and more to do with the fact that xp likes to do things like thumbnailing what it decides are media directories, thumbnailing things in general, making little useless previews, etc.

It also has something to do with the fact that mpeg4 video encoding and decoding is not a "completed" or "perfect" thing. It's still in development and hasn't reached maturity yet. Someday the tools for mpeg4 are going to be as commonplace and as (relatively) bug free as the tools for zip compression, but that day is not here yet.