PDA

View Full Version : BIN files

tensai
Wed, 07-14-2004, 03:13 PM
ok, i donwloaded a movie, it svcd
there are bin and cue files, i have know clue of what to do with these, help please
what can i do to play them?

Foomanchew24
Wed, 07-14-2004, 04:20 PM
you can burn them to a vcd/svcd onto a cdr or dvdr and watch them on your home dvd player if it supports vcd. or if you have a dvd player in your puter you can do the same thing then play the files using the dvd player. i dont know of software that can play vcd files but if you burn it then put it in your player that should work.

tensai
Wed, 07-14-2004, 05:09 PM
thanks, but i cant burn them on a cd-r bc the files are too big
i do have a dvd player but it wont play it
ill try to burn it on a dvd+rw, will that work on a modded ps2 though?

stos289
Wed, 07-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Ok, this what you should do. Those bin and cue files are like iso files (they are images, an exact replica of an application/media). If you download a program called Daemon Tools, you will be able to make them work on your computer. You see, what Daemon Tools does, is that its creates a virtual drive (like your DVD drive but its not actually "there") which you can play things on. Then, Daemon Tools mounts the image on the drive, making the computer think like you just put a CD/DVD in a drive. Then you will be able to play the movie on your computer. You can get Daemon Tools here (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=5). After you install it and open it up, there should be a little lightning bolt in your system tray. If you right click that and go to Virtual CD/DVD-Rom, there should be a couple of options. Make sure under "Set number of devices" that you have 1 selected. After that there should be an option that has Device 0: No Media or something to that extent. If you go to that and then go to "Mount Image," you can pick which you want to emulate. Got to the cue file and click open. Now your computer should recognize the "DVD" and it should start automatically. If your having any trouble, post and I'll help.

tensai
Wed, 07-14-2004, 09:01 PM
thanks a lot stos289, but the thing is my comp is also fu*ked up, so whenever i try to install something, an error message pops up
the choice of installing a new program is out of the question
i did dl daemon tools, but that error message popped up so that sucks, gotta find a different way i guess

or wait until i can trade my current comp for a different one bc i probably still have warranty on mine

but thanks anyways, if you have any other ideas that dont involve installing new stuff, feel free to post anything

Foomanchew24
Thu, 07-15-2004, 12:36 PM
It doesnt matter how big the file is but how long it is. If it is less than 80min long than you can burn it onto a vcd no matter how big the file is. For example i use the program tmpgenc to decode avi's to vcd format and it really doesnt matter what the end file size is just the length of the avi file. Ive done this with avi movie files and it takes two cd-r's for one movie. so just go into media player and drag the scroll bar to the end of the avi to see how long (minutes) it is. if it is less than 80 minutes per part you can burn it to the cd-r. It may take 2 like i said but it can be done. i use nero but i'm sure whatever burning program you have as long as it can burn a vcd will work fine. also have you tried copying down the error message you get and putting it in google search. Thats usually how i trouble shoot stuff.

complich8
Thu, 07-15-2004, 11:35 PM
in the case of bin and cue files ... the cuesheet (that's the .cue file i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif) is basically a table of contents and an index ... it tells burner software how to burn the cd. The bin is a big dump of the data, and is often larger than the size of the cd it came from. Don't worry about it, point nero or ez-cd creator (or possibly your cd burner software of choice) at the cue file, with the bin in the same directory, under an option somewhere in it to "burn image" or "create cd from cd image" or something like that. It should figure out what to do from there, if it supports bins and cues.

Alternately, there's software to convert bin files (or bins and cues) to iso images. Isobuster and BintoIso come to mind. But those fall along the same lines as Daemon Tools as far as "you have to install stuff" ... so they may be out of the question for you.

I'm deeply concerned for you about this problem you're saying you have with errors popping up trying to install stuff. What sort of errors? Just memory access violation stuff? Have you done a virusscan recently? Have you done memory and hdd integrity tests? Is there free disk space? Have you tried installing in a nonstandard location? Your computer shouldn't be doing that .... and I'd be guessing the source of that problem is malware of some kind (virus, spyware, other scumware are my guesses).

For the record, My preferred method to deal with that sort of stuff is the same as stos's suggestion ... daemontools. Every vcd/svcd/iso I want to use, I use that way (unless it's a boot iso for some other OS or something).