PDA

View Full Version : Tech Question

ThePope
Wed, 07-07-2004, 04:54 PM
The past two Eps. of shows ive downloaded have been in .File format, so when i try and open the Ep. it prompts me to selet from a list. I select that option and pick my Windows Media Player, and try to select the "always use the selected program to open this kind of file" Option (check box). But it is shaded gray, so i am unable to select. Anyone have any advice?

Munsu
Wed, 07-07-2004, 07:02 PM
Tech question.... why dont you ask in the Support section

SamuraiOdin
Wed, 07-07-2004, 09:31 PM
Though Bud is right, I might be able to help. What I need to know, is are you using bittorrent? If so, what version? What size is the file you've downloaded? Are you sure that it is the episode, and not just the torrent link for it?

lasaire
Wed, 07-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Please, please be observant enough to post this in the support forum!

Thread moved.

complich8
Thu, 07-08-2004, 04:06 AM
Try going into explorer prefs (tools->folder options->view would be one way to find it, not sure if xp is the same), and see if "hide file extensions for known file types" is checked. If it is, uncheck it, and hit ok.

Make sure your file has an appropriate extension to it (like .avi)... I'm guessing this is the problem. If it doesn't, you should be able to rename the file and add a .avi (which is why you want to unhide the extension). It'll complain a bit and then say "ok" and there you'll have it.

Generally stuff showing up as "file" is stuff without an extension. Windows doesn't do things like mime type checking, it just makes the assumption that the extension is correct. You probably can't get a program to associate with the type, because there's no extension to match, so it doesn't know what filetype you're trying to make a rule for.