PDA

View Full Version : some tech questions

animefunkmaster
Wed, 07-07-2004, 03:30 PM
CALLING ALL TECHS... I have been dling Naruto for some time now. I have up to episode 50. It has come to my attention that my weak sauce hard drive is filled to the brim with info. So being the genius I am (not really) I decided to make an svcd for the whole series and eventually play them through my dvd player to record them onto a vhs. I have tried a variety of different programs; my personal favorite is Nero 6. In all of my attempts two problems always remain: first off the about ¼ of an inch gets cut off of the bottom of the screen, this is a BIG problem because half of the time you cant make heads or tails of the subtitles (I have tried changing the aspect ratio to 16:19 but I dont want a BIG BLACK BOX around the video). And then later on in most episodes the audio just all of a sudden stops sync with the video. I was wondering if I had to re-encode the vids (with tempg enc or virtual dub, or other comparable program), or if there is another easier way to fix this problem. Thank you in advance.
(I bet there will be at least one person who will tell me to clean the other !@#$ off of my hardrive)

PSJ
Wed, 07-07-2004, 05:38 PM
clean the other shit off of your harddrive i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif jk.

burn it on normal cd-r or dvd-r and watch them on the comp. thats what i do it will cost you a hell of alot of money to burn the whole show on svcd.

Darkflare
Wed, 07-07-2004, 05:52 PM
itll be like 3 episodes per CD instead of 4. but if you really want to, probably best to re encode everything in tmpegenc first and then burn it

TheRaider
Wed, 07-07-2004, 05:53 PM
use TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress to encode and set the aspect ratio to Pixel 12:11(Pal ) or 40:33 (NTSC)..that should do it..

animefunkmaster
Wed, 07-07-2004, 05:57 PM
Very true...and slightly funny...slightly&anyway, my original idea was this 2 cdrw system, while I am watching/recording one episode to vhs, the other one would be burning to another cdrw. Likewise when I am done with one episode I will just erase the whole cd and start again& This way would have been the cheapest. Cause you can fit about 3-4 episodes (depending on the episodes) on one data cd. And you can fit 8 hours on vhs&in slp.
Thanks for the thought though

PSJ
Wed, 07-07-2004, 06:44 PM
hmm yea now that i think about it you wouldnt save that much... but if you got a dvd burner it would be better. you cant burn vcd on cdrw discs..

Sensei Jon
Wed, 07-07-2004, 07:01 PM
About how many episodes do you think you can fit on a DVD? I have been thinking about buying one now that I have a job and am getting quite a bit of extra cash. (No bills, nothing to pay for, all pocket money i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif).

animefunkmaster
Wed, 07-07-2004, 07:31 PM
with nero 6 you can make vcd or svcd with cdrw. I've doen it already (except i have had the above problems). Its unusual i can't with other programs. whatever if it aint broack don't fix it ^_^'

animefunkmaster
Wed, 07-07-2004, 11:50 PM
so far i am using the trial version of tempgenc 3.0 Xpress, and it is working kick ass (i mean it is working well) setting the aspect ratio has solved allot of problems with the subtitles being cutt off, however i can't seem to get an audio feed from the existing naruto file (avi). I was just wondering if i screwed something up (which seems to me to be the most likely), if it has something to do with my version being a trial version, or if there is someother compatibility problem (codec problem or something like that) that tempgenc can't handle these files...
has this happened to anyone else

-animefunkmaster
oh i almost forgot i did select the episode as the "audio source" in the add clip window for tempgenc (i am not that stupid...just not too bright)

kage_bunshin
Thu, 07-08-2004, 05:21 AM
you could just get a USB2.0 external harddrive. It'll cost about 100~120 US dollars

80GB HardDisk is about 80 to 90 bucks
external casing is about 30 bucks

i bought two external hard drives - one 80gb and 120gb. It's very convienient!

animefunkmaster
Thu, 07-08-2004, 04:47 PM
ok here is an update, the tempgenc works great. however the audio is still a problem, it works when encoding other vids...like king of bandit jing in 7th heaven... anyway does anyone know the codec or patch or the thing i need in order to encode the audio for these naruto vids

-animefunkmaster

Darkflare
Thu, 07-08-2004, 11:52 PM
its been a while since i made a s/vcd but i remember what i did was extract the audio, encoded the video, then recombined the audio and video. worked like a charm. i dont know if that is what you are doing but thats what i did

Foomanchew24
Fri, 07-09-2004, 01:06 AM
Get tmpgenc fromm suprnova.org and encode the files. When opening the program if the wizard doesnt come up then click on file and select project wizard. Next select under the video-cd sectionn (ntsc) unless you live in an area that uses (pal) if thats the case select the pal. make sure the the pull down menue at the bottom right side says (cbr standard format). then click on next. Click on browse and find your file and click on open in new window, after status bar is finished click on next again. check the source range button and set the starting point(click set start frame first) and the ending point(drag the scroll bar all the way to the right then click on the set end frame) click ok and now click on the clip frame box. this part is important with the subtitles being cut off, you will have to tinker with the settings for each anime because they use different subs and position the mdifferently. so while in the clip frame options select arrange settings, on the arrange method pull down menu select center(custom size)i do 335x230 for my full metal alchemist episodes and the subs are not cut off. I tried this setting for naruto but the subs are a bit lower so you will have to adjust the settings untill you find just the right one. Also it will probably be different from tv to tv so you will have to tinker with it. to test it out on your tv i suggest encoding just a clip of the avi. to do this just set the end fram much sooner to make it a short clip,(make sure the clip has subtitles in it) then test on tv to see how much adjustment you need to make. once again select next and click on the pull down menu that has the format of the cd you will be burning to (For example i select the cd-r 80min vcd/svcd option) click next again and select browse to determine where you want to save the file. then clik ok for tmpgenc to do its job if you want or you can click on create another project to do batchencoding as in more than one, i usually do three at a time since that is how many i can get on to a cd-ronce you have gone through the process with all thre eps, make sure the start encoding box is checked and select ok. if you have problems with the audio you can have tmpgenc use a program to encode the audio seperately and then join it with the encoded video(i use a program called toolame it encodes the audio) to make empgenc use this program to encode the audio first start up tmpgenc cancel the wizard go into options seklect environmental settings select the audio engine tab. in the mpeg 1 option select external program and browse till you find the toolame audio encoding program and you are set. just start up the wizard and start the whole process of encoding avi to vcd. Hope this helps it works for me.

winnydapoo
Fri, 07-09-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by: Sensei Jon
About how many episodes do you think you can fit on a DVD? I have been thinking about buying one now that I have a job and am getting quite a bit of extra cash. (No bills, nothing to pay for, all pocket money i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif).

about 7 to 8 eps if you convert to tv readable format. If u just want to burn avi to DVD then abt 23-25 eps per dvd (4.7GB dvd)

Sensei Jon
Fri, 07-09-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by: winnydapoo

Originally posted by: Sensei Jon

about 7 to 8 eps if you convert to tv readable format. If u just want to burn avi to DVD then abt 23-25 eps per dvd (4.7GB dvd)

Beautiful. Thanks a lot Winnydapoo. With that information I think I am going to spend some money in the near future. i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

kakashi_gurl
Fri, 07-09-2004, 04:23 PM
I would suggest burning it onto a CD-RW..not CD-R..cuz then wel..i dont hav to explain..

or if u have a zip drive ...*like my friend*...put all that u can fit into a zip drive

or simply buy more memory *like my friend..my friend has episodes 1 - 90 all on his computer*..

Sensei Jon
Fri, 07-09-2004, 04:45 PM
It is all on my computer as well. One folder of mine, with all the anime series I have downloaded, is 30 GB. Kinda large for one folder...

animefunkmaster
Wed, 07-14-2004, 04:06 PM
hey does anyone know what version of tempg enc to get off of supernova to have that wizard menue, or should i go back to the trial, i don't wanna pay to just encode these files...

-animefunkmaster
and before it all god hit ctrl+alt+delete to reboot the world

codeRed
Wed, 07-14-2004, 04:35 PM
You have to pay to be able to encode to SVCD or any other mpeg2 videos. I doubt you'll want to go the free yet low-res mpeg1 route.

bitwar
Sat, 07-17-2004, 02:26 AM
I haven't really had a problem with the "low res" VCDs. I have the entire series (more or less) on VCDs since I like watching on the TV better than on my computer (bigger screen, spread out on the sofa). Maybe it's because I know it's free (aside from the cost of discs) and therefore I don't really care about the picture quality being perfect (holding out for region 1 DVDs). But it looks better than a VHS copy from the TV.

zachary_milyardo
Sat, 07-17-2004, 04:25 AM
animefunkmaster, I have done the same thing with nero 6 and had the same problem,except when I played the SVCD on my computer I was able to read the subtitles just fine. You see(unless you have a flatscreen television), your television does not acualy display all the data it receives. If you rencode the video to a scale slightly larger scale(say 704x528 instead of 640x480,which is 1.1x larger) and fill the extra data with null data(I'm not sure how to do that) you should be able to read the subtitles when nero rencodes the video to 640x480 because the null data will be not displayed on the screen.

rickytan
Sat, 07-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Speaking of which, anyone know if there is a program that can convert the avi files to mpeg? Mpeg seems a lot easier to edit before burning onto cds and I can also add things easier.

And if there is one, anyone know how to do it? Unless it's really simple, then I won't need an explanation.

BTW, it HAS to run in windows 98 because I don't have win 2k or xp so I can't use that tmpgenc xpress thing.

Also, I mainly want it to be in the same 640x480 resolution as it normally was, not the svcd quality right away.

animefunkmaster
Sun, 07-18-2004, 04:17 PM
hey people, all your help is really great. (^_^) hey but i still have a problem with the audio track, i am currently using adobe premier to encode the video, however i ccan only get static for audio. I have tried the ac3 codec (although i am not sure if i used it right) i still am unable to get any audio... I have also tried the tempg enc but that hasn't worked either...

also when i had windows 98 i used virtual dub to encode vids and an older version of tempgenc.

-animefunkmaster