PDA

View Full Version : Who do u think is more powerful?

Assassin
Sun, 07-04-2004, 11:48 PM
So, we have the 2 most powerful movie/book wizards.....one is about half a centuary old (actually, its more i think) and the otehr is like, 7 years old (or somethign like that). One guides the hopeful harry potter against various nasty threats, and the other guides the young frodo against some zombie armor from hell and his funky ring.

who do u think is stronger, and why?

ps: just for the record, gandalf could wipe the floors of hogwarts with dumbledore ass. Theres no compition 8-Þ

-ANBU-Sasuke-
Sun, 07-04-2004, 11:52 PM
If there was no compeition why post this up???

i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gifi/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

Mut
Mon, 07-05-2004, 12:32 AM
gandalf, just because he is not from harry potter.

Zoels
Mon, 07-05-2004, 12:35 AM
gandalf man. cha

Himura_san
Mon, 07-05-2004, 01:20 AM
Hey where's the option for Merlin??

Xollence
Mon, 07-05-2004, 09:45 AM
Nerds!

dragon
Mon, 07-05-2004, 10:11 AM
as in dungons and dragons?

JusDaMan
Mon, 07-05-2004, 10:27 AM
merlin from King authur man... U never read that book? it was mad good. =D they making a movie of it of it thats showing like in a week or so...

We really can't compare gandalf and dumbledore... they from 2 different era of wizard times... and as always the old era is always more powerful than the new era people. (but techenally[sp?] voldemort is most powerful in harry potter series)

r3n
Mon, 07-05-2004, 10:32 AM
well seeing as harry potter is a shit series with shit characters, where as LOTR is a good series with good characters. ill have to go for gandalf.

hinatacretu
Mon, 07-05-2004, 11:50 AM
gandalf the white definitely...

chambers
Mon, 07-05-2004, 04:23 PM
elminster would own them both.

Goingin
Mon, 07-05-2004, 04:38 PM
Maybe the wizard of Oz?

He would sure 0wn Gandalf and Dumbledork on the yellow friggin brick road

PSJ
Mon, 07-05-2004, 05:19 PM
gandalf of course...

HerioMortis
Mon, 07-05-2004, 08:15 PM
Everyone who answers Gandalf must be joking, sure me might be cooler, and not everyone might like Harry Potter (well I only kinda like the movies), still Gandalf's (practically none existent) magic sucks royaly, man as an example he would have gotten killed by about 8 wargs or so(the big wolves you know) in Bildo(the book), + what magic does he actually DO? The best spell he has ever used is the 'flashbang' in TTT.
Imagine everything all the teachers in Harry Potter can do, Dumbledore can do it even better, he's supposed to be one of the mightiest wizards alive ;P

Well this is just my opinion, but still "Those that don't know, shouldn't answer" or somethin 8P

-ANBU-Sasuke-
Mon, 07-05-2004, 08:15 PM
As much as LOTR was good, i fell asleep way too much times, waay to boring in some parts and the first 2 Movies, All they do is, FRODO DON'T DIE, NO YOU CAN DO IT FRODO, geez got boring... But the third and last one were alright.

Weres the option for the almight fourm administrators?

NM
Mon, 07-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Dumbledore would be owned by Gandalf.

Uzumaki Naruto
Mon, 07-05-2004, 09:15 PM
id say gandalf, plus id believe that hes in a higher rank of sorcery then that dude from harry pothead( potter)

Mut
Mon, 07-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by: HerioMortis
Everyone who answers Gandalf must be joking, sure me might be cooler, and not everyone might like Harry Potter (well I only kinda like the movies), still Gandalf's (practically none existent) magic sucks royaly, man as an example he would have gotten killed by about 8 wargs or so(the big wolves you know) in Bildo(the book), + what magic does he actually DO? The best spell he has ever used is the 'flashbang' in TTT.
Imagine everything all the teachers in Harry Potter can do, Dumbledore can do it even better, he's supposed to be one of the mightiest wizards alive ;P

Well this is just my opinion, but still "Those that don't know, shouldn't answer" or somethin 8P

i know more about everything than you do. so, you shouldn't answer.

SamuraiOdin
Tue, 07-06-2004, 12:35 AM
I dunno, I mean on the one hand, HerioMortis has a point... we don't see Gandalf do a lot of magic... on the other hand, he does face down a demon all by himself... then again, there are powerful wizards throughout all of the literary Fantasy world. To just pick Gandalf or Dumbledore isn't really fair. I mean, as one other person pointed out, you have wizards like Elminster, who would tear the joint up with his magic, not to mention numerous other high powered wizards from Fantasy novels, such as the Gallowglass Family as one example. I agree that they are the two most well known wizards (well... aside from Merlin...) at the moment, but as for being the most powerful, I doubt it. Not to mention the fact that in every fantasy world, the rules of magic are different, which throws cross-novel battles out of wack.

iminyourbrain
Tue, 07-06-2004, 01:58 AM
i saw an interesting softcore parody of LOTR called lord of the g-strings yesterday. complete with dildo saggins, schmirnoff, sour-ass, and ballem.

complich8
Tue, 07-06-2004, 04:08 AM
I think the whole LOTR universe is simply more subtle than the Harry Potter or Forgotten Realms universes are.

The LOTR wizards are formidable, they're not people you mess with or get in the way of, they're powerful, they're smart, and they understand things in ways your normal person completely can't grasp. But LOTR wizards aren't just powerful, they're subtle. You see their work more as coordinators and planners and string-pullers in most cases. But you know they can throw down when they have to (ie: gandalf versus balrog). A LOTR wizard like Gandalf or Sauromon may have very few inexplicable powers though .... or very many that we just don't get to see. We don't know, because the system they live in is something we don't really know about (at least within the LOTR Trilogy+1).

Harry Potter wizards like to throw their magic around, a lot. They're constantly tossing out spells for things as simple as reading lights and making candles fly around and such, and are to the point that they depend on their magic as much as they depend on their shoes. Possibly moreso. The system they are subject to is pretty lax ... the rules consist of "here's a wand, here's some words, your imagination is the source of your magic's power" basically.

In forgotten realms, we have a much more well-defined system, which is built on the skill of the wizard and a set "commit these power-words to memory, pour them out (they'll erase themselves when you do) and you'll invoke this effect" -- it's pretty strict, and elminster is pretty much at the level of godhood as far as mages go. An ordinary archmage has a huge arsenal of magic he keeps fresh and at the ready, and has a lot of versatility, but elminster is the sort of guy who knows the system so well and in such depth and detail that he can basically break the rules at will by manipulating the fabric of the universe with raw force of will.

So what do we have? We have 3 very different systems, and people at the top of each of them. So how do we equalize it to make things generally fair? How about we remove the system, by removing their base magical power, and do a comparison then.

Without magic, Gandalf is an aged gentleman, but still extremely smart, extremely strategic, and a grandmaster-level fighter with both the sword and the staff. Elminster is an old guy, but has the whole "mystra's fire" and "mystra's chosen" thing going on still, and is also remarkably proficient with swords and daggers and various instruments, making him at very least formidable -- though he's probably not quite the guru that Gandalf is in that respect. Dumbledore on the other hand is pretty dang old, and not only have we (at least in the two movies I've seen) seen him do anything terribly impressive magically, but he's also been pretty absent in just about every significant combat situation, leaving the fate of the world and the lives of innocents in the trusty hands of barely-teenage novice spellcasters. We've never seen him swing a sword or a staff, we've never seen him walk in a particularly lively fashion, and really the only thing we know is that he's a clever old guy.

So let's review. Clever old guy who can beat down armies given a stick or a sword. Clever old guy who can escape from armies with his life given a stick or a sword (but not fight them off entirely), and given added protection in that when he gets stabbed, his wound closes and torches the stabber and anyone else in the vicinity. Clever old guy who likes making kids do things he's better suited to do, while he does very little.

I'm thinking on a level playing field I'd pick either gandalf over dumbledore.

Stoopider
Tue, 07-06-2004, 06:57 AM
Extactically.

hinatacretu
Tue, 07-06-2004, 10:37 AM
agree to a T... veri detailed... interesting insights to the differences... and damn long... i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Deblas
Mon, 07-19-2004, 12:34 PM
gandalf

Knives122
Mon, 07-19-2004, 12:39 PM
Lets face it people, Im not sure if any of you know this but Gandalf is an Angel(They explain in other books that explain middle earth) and hes immortal, that makes him better by far

What can Dumbledork do ... nothing, we see the original for two movies and then he dies and gets replaced. so what if he can blow a candle out with his hand, Gandalf can pull a moses miracle in the water.

bottom line Gandalf is more powerful

ANTicz
Tue, 07-20-2004, 11:57 AM
Read the Simarillion, and you'd understand.... that Gandalf is a demi-god... he was one of the "minstrels" in the halls of Illuvatar (who is like the ultimate god, in fact, he basically created the "Gods" of middle earth)... now lets see... demi-god .... or some old wizard? hmm....

complich8
Tue, 07-20-2004, 06:56 PM
I tried reading the Silmarillon once ... I got about 30 pages in and realized that the names they used bogged me down too much for me to keep reading any more. Then I quit.

I'll have to take your word for it i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif.

kupalmaru
Wed, 07-21-2004, 09:07 PM
If you look at Gandalf he is more experience wizard; battling other wizard and ork.

I go with Gandalf