PDA

View Full Version : why is my download so slow i have broadband

outerdementor
Sun, 07-04-2004, 12:19 PM
i got broadband and it downloads like 1-9 kb per second is there a better bit torrent i can download or what should i do?

stos289
Sun, 07-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Well, if you have a router and/or firewall, that is what is causing the download rate to be slow. You are going to have to do something called "Port Forwarding" which is basically opening the ports in your router/firewall that Bittorrent uses (6881 to 6999). If you could tell me what type of firewall you have (Windows XP, Zonealarm, etc.) and what type of router you have (Linksys, D-Link, etc.) and the model number of the router, I can give you a step by step guide on how to port forward. Hope I could help.

outerdementor
Sun, 07-04-2004, 12:35 PM
i have windows 98 linksy firewall and an arris router where do i get the model number

stos289
Sun, 07-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Well, to find the model number, it should be on the router itself, the box of the router, or the manual. However, I need you to clear up some things. Tell me exactly what type of firewall you have, and exactly what type of router you have, and then I can help you. Hope I could help.

outerdementor
Sun, 07-04-2004, 12:46 PM
its instant broadband series etherfast cable/dsl firewall router model befsx4 4port switch/ vpn endpoint

outerdementor
Sun, 07-04-2004, 12:47 PM
linksys

jamoogabooga
Sun, 07-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by: stos289
Well, if you have a router and/or firewall, that is what is causing the download rate to be slow. You are going to have to do something called "Port Forwarding" which is basically opening the ports in your router/firewall that Bittorrent uses (6881 to 6999). If you could tell me what type of firewall you have (Windows XP, Zonealarm, etc.) and what type of router you have (Linksys, D-Link, etc.) and the model number of the router, I can give you a step by step guide on how to port forward. Hope I could help.

hey, i have some dl speed probs too.....

i have a windows xp firewall and i have a 2.4 Ghz wireless broadband router (d-link) dsl internet connection model DI-614+.....?..im not sure though.....i just looked at the router itself...i lost the box i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif

stos289
Sun, 07-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey, you have the same router as me! That's awesome! Ok here (http://www.portforward.com/dlink/di-614+.htm) is a step by step guide on how to port forward you router. However, I have some changes to make on it. When you get to step 5, go to "Firewall" instead of "Virtual Server." When you get to Firewall, make it look exactly like this (http://img13.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img13&image=untitled210.jpg ). Make sure you put YOUR ip address where I have mine and remember the port range is 6881 to 6999. After you fill in everything, just click apply and your done. For your XP Firewall, in my opinion, I would just turn it off. It really is a weak firewall and your router has a better one, so it is useless. Hope I could help.

jamoogabooga
Sun, 07-04-2004, 05:28 PM
hey, i have just one question about that....when i went to the firewall config to make it look exactly like urs, i saw that ur ip was the same as mine.... mine is: 192.168.0.100

wut does this mean?.........o and after doin all of this, how fast do your downloads go when downloading anime?.......

o...and also, i was downloading an anime file (koi kaze) from anime station at the same time as doin this process.....after i finished, the download was still the same slow speed.....do i have to restart the comp for the changes to take into effect?....or am i just doomed to dl at slow speeds no matter wut the changes?

stos289
Sun, 07-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Ok, let's start. For the ip address, it will naturally be the same since we have the same router. It doesn't matter though, I just tolf you to put yours if you had a different one for some reason. When I'm downloading anime, it depends on how many people are seeding it and how big the file ia. Lets say I'm downloading an anime with 20 people seeding it, and it is a single episode. It will take probably around 30 minutes to an 1 hour. Well, the speed increase should take affect after you made the change to your router. So, you might want to reebot, just in case. Also, to really see the increase, wait untill like 1 mb is downloaded. That is when i usually see the download rate sky rocket. Hope I could help.

jamoogabooga
Mon, 07-05-2004, 08:40 AM
hmm.....i see now.....i have another question......what if you had 8 seeds and 8 peers and the file is 130 mb.....would ur dl go faster than 20 or 30?.......btw.....thanks a whole bunch! youve really been great and my speed did go up when i restarted......thanks a lot man......

stos289
Mon, 07-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Well, I don't believe it would go faster. You see, the more seeders, the higher the download rate. It all depends on the size of the file, the seeders, and the upload rate too. So, most likely, it won't go faster. Glad I could help.

jamoogabooga
Mon, 07-05-2004, 03:28 PM
o....i have anotehr question....i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif......when u dl anime, have u ever got a slow dl speed like around 5-10 kb per sec?......cause when i was dling koi kaze from anime station, i got around 20-50 kb with about 7-10 seeds.....(130 mb file size)...now, im dling midori no hibi from suprnova.org and there is 2 seeds but im gettin helllla slow dl speed (3-8 kb).....its about 175 mb....is it slow cause of the #of seeds? or cause i still may have firewall or other setting probs?

stos289
Mon, 07-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Yeah, it happens sometimes. Especially in your case when you only have 2 seeds, that's really not a lot. Just make sure that you have all the ports forwarded and your XP Firewall is off and you shouldn't have any other configuration to do. Hope I could help.

jamoogabooga
Mon, 07-05-2004, 05:16 PM
hey, just makin sure....to turn off ur firewall if u have xp, first u go to start, then network places, then view network connections, then right click to get properties for the enabled lan connection, then go to advanced and uncheck the firewall box right?......if not, how do i turn it completely off, and how do i know if it is off or not?

....o also, when i configured the router, i put in port#6969 since i think that was the trigger port and since it asked for only 1 port #, then i put 6881-6999 for the public....is that the correct thing to do? and i really appreciate ur step by step help since im such a comp newb....

stos289
Mon, 07-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Your correct with the firewall removal process. However, I think you were doing port triggering instead of port forwarding. When you are in the advanced tab of the router page, you should have gone to "Firewall" on the left hand side. Then you should have looked at the example I gave you and filled in the blanks accordingly. If you did that, you should be fine. I think that you were in "Virtual Server" instead of "Firewall." Also, you can port trigger 6969 if you want, that is the tracker port for Bittorrent. Hope I could help.

jamoogabooga
Wed, 07-07-2004, 04:25 PM
o....dun wry...i did it right the first time....i configured my firewall on the advanced panel of the router and also the virtual server thingie....cause on ur example, u had sum different stuff about ur virtual server, so i just copied that....and that is why i needed the trigger port 6969.....o...and thank u soooooo frikin much! man...my dl used to go around 3-15 kb....now (if there is at least 1 seed) it goes around 30-80 i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif