PDA

View Full Version : 2cts about Hellsing:

?igma
Sat, 07-03-2004, 12:08 PM
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/p.wildenberg/bscap008.jpg

So HAH! now you know it, those that have been using the wrong name for all those years MUHAHAHAHAHA..
I already never understood why they ever compared it to Dracula anyways, it was neevr meant that way!!

yenlowang
Sat, 07-03-2004, 12:36 PM
something about the bats and the wolves and alot of the other imagery

as well as OMFG HELSING??? AS IN van HELSING?????!~?~?!?~?!~?~?~!?!~?~!?! (no relation to the bad action movie by the same name btw)

if you have read Bram Stoker's Dracula then you would understand why so many people come to that conclusion

its probably not Alucard and helsing out right because of intellectual property rights
although i have no idea who the hell owns the rights to it atm.

Hellsing plagarises so much that it could be considered derivative work and they might be obligated to pay royalties or some such thing

?igma
Sat, 07-03-2004, 12:54 PM
Ok, if only I understood which part of your story is a quote from someone and which part is your own saying + if you could write in a more structural way, I might be able to actually respond to this.

Hellsing is one of the sweetest anime out there, mainly through its great music, theme and athmosphere. How ever much plagiate they have committed, which is btw, bogus, I dont care.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 07-03-2004, 12:58 PM
ooh, you're getting you're information from a fansub?
well, too bad for you, the manga (both scanlation and english dark horse version) and the official DVD refer to him as Alucard - Dracula spelled backwards.

from what i understood, in the story (the hellsing anime\manga story), hellsing (the ancesstor Integral) caught Dracula and imprisoned him to make him a servent of the hellsing family, and changed his name to Alucard.

of course, non of this was precisly said (publishing rights and stuff), but it was strongly implied and hinted.

Conclusion: it's ALUCARD, and you, my friend, are an IDIOT.

Edit: before you all go crazy on me, i'm joking, i don't think that ?igma is an idiot, and i do not mean to dissrespect him at any way, just to point that his argument is weak and false.

hybridchild
Sat, 07-03-2004, 01:03 PM
Have you read the manga? It has a bit about the origin of Alcuard, He is really Valdamir Tepes aka Vald The Impalier who was a Carpathian Prince who renounded god after his Wife killed herself because she thought he was dead and was eternally damned by the church. He is the origin of the Dracula myth look it up its historical fact.

Thats just a bad sub even if he is not really Dracula his name is not spelled Arkard that just a subber who doesntb know that in japanesee l's and r's are pronounced the same

Hybridchild

?igma
Sat, 07-03-2004, 01:21 PM
Yes well, if this subber can provide pure quality subs, he can certainly see that difference i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

And no I'm not an idiot, you should at least know, that the U is perfectly pronouncable in Japanese, and it is NOT IN THE ANIME ONCE!!! Not even when Incognito actually SPELLS Arkards name.
And oh yeah ..you are now going to tell me that you read the manga in Japanese..
Ive always been correct about this and always will be, for one, Alucard sounds too lame to be true, so it should atleast be Arucard then,but I prefer Arkard, because that is actually the way it is said in the anime, always and ever.
Not too big a fan of the manga, it misses the music that makes it such a good series.

Gods_Son
Sat, 07-03-2004, 01:34 PM
It's Alucard

?igma
Sat, 07-03-2004, 01:39 PM
yes , of course, I appreciate your opinion , and the fucked up whole worlds opinion it is too, but I'm just saying I have MINE!! Muahahaha

but maybe I should make this topic :

Finally Ive found someone that agrees with me!!

Lefty
Sat, 07-03-2004, 02:01 PM
It's Arukado in Japanese so the translation Alucard not Arkards it's a miss understanding of the name pronounced in japanese. this happens a few time with weird names in japanese that make it even weirder. This has happened in other subs. but if you listen to how it's pronounced in japanese or read the original text it's Arukado but the O is silent so it's Arukad. I klnow your enetitled to your opinion, but you also need to leave your self open to the fact you could be wrong about it and should take that into consideration and reasses your orginal opinion about what ever.

Swallow Your Soul
Sat, 07-03-2004, 02:55 PM
^^ Spelt or pronounced? I'm not criticising (as I don't know), I'm just asking, seeing as the Japanese have an accent such that when they try to pronounce 'L' they say it more like an 'R'.

All I know is the DVDs I watch say Alucard, the manga I've started reading says Alucard, so whether the 'real' name is Arkard ur Arudako or whatever is pretty much redundant for me now (like how it seems a load of people call Aeris from FFVII Aerith etc). To me the character only suits the name I've always known...but on the whole, it doesn't really bother me the specifics of the characters name that much anyway, the fact the show/manga is about vampires and is violent is what I'm interested in i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

The only criticism of the manga (and probably the English dub but I watch it subbed) I have is the slightly naff over-stereotyped English speak, which makes it feel like ironic comedy speech taking the piss out of god knows how many regional tongues and accents etc...they tried so hard to sell it as English they set the language as like early 20th/late 19th century! I know foreigners won't notice that anyway....but....blah i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

?igma
Sat, 07-03-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by: Lefty
It's Arukado in Japanese so the translation Alucard not Arkards it's a miss understanding of the name pronounced in japanese. this happens a few time with weird names in japanese that make it even weirder. This has happened in other subs. but if you listen to how it's pronounced in japanese or read the original text it's Arukado but the O is silent so it's Arukad. I klnow your enetitled to your opinion, but you also need to leave your self open to the fact you could be wrong about it and should take that into consideration and reasses your orginal opinion about what ever.

you are wrong, about the fact that they pronounce it as ArUcard , they say Arkard ..no more. And the O is silent, correct.

Gods_Son
Sat, 07-03-2004, 03:33 PM
?igma, you don't know what you're talking about. Study some Japanese before flaunting your knowledge about it.

?igma
Sat, 07-03-2004, 03:52 PM
Dude ..if I could rip the sound out of it:S, but ill give you a direction.:

Episode 9
66%
15:15

And 78%

http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/p.wildenberg/bscap009.jpg
http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/p.wildenberg/bscap010.jpg

If you say that they pronounce any U there, you suck satans dick.

Death BOO Z
Sat, 07-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Besides, it's not about how it's prononuced, but about how it was meant to be...
the source for the name is Dracula spelled backwards - Alucard, the fact that the voice actors aren't capable of saying it right (the same way amrican dubs say the original names in a horrible way) doesn't have anything to do with it.

AL\Rucard isn't a japanese name, furthermore, it's a name with a meanning behined it, so, the meanning behined it has more importance than the way it's pronounce or the literal meanning...

more examples, to empthize this:
let's take Inuyasha's "Oswari", the meaning in japanese probably is "sit" or something, so in the english language, it became "sit boy", becuase that's how you tell you dog to sit still in the english langauge. however, if you translate it into a diffrenet langauge, that has a diffrent way of commanding dogs (hebrew, for instant), then the other word should be used, and not the translation for "sit", becuase it keeps the meanning more than using 'sit'. are you getting my point? if not, here's another example...

you have the "Itadaikimuste" thing in japanese, it litratly means "i'm about to eat" or something in the same field, but if you'd translate the anime into french, you won't say "Je Mange..{something-something, i've studied french for 4 years and i don't know shit}", instead, you'll say "bonnappittie" (I can't even spell it).

and the easiest example: when you have some english charecter names in anime, say... "Jack", the japanese seyius will say "jack-o", becuase the can't finish a word with 'ck', it doesn't mean that the charecter's name isn't jack, does it?

Do you understand? sometimes, there are factors more relevent than the exact pronocuation or the literal translation...

Edit: it's funny how you insist on following the Fansub version, while people are telling you that in both the manga (official english and scanlations) and the official DVDs, the spell it "ALUCARD"...

Gods_Son
Sat, 07-03-2004, 04:31 PM
Arkard is a fansubbing mistake.

Himura_san
Sat, 07-03-2004, 08:47 PM
It's Alucard, no doubt about it!
The japanese pronounce L as an R, so they say Arucard instead.

Stoopider
Sat, 07-03-2004, 10:24 PM
There's one episode where someone said about his name spelled backwards is Dracula.

Lefty
Sat, 07-03-2004, 11:19 PM
It's pritty obvious from the name of the friggin anime "Hellsing" like Dr. Vanhelsing, that the vimpare on staff would be the one and only Dracula. Buy the dvd and watch the sub, even on that it's Alucard. Nuff said end of story no more arguments about it. Please for all that is holy let the subject end here.

On a side note which sub group did the ep ?igma is taking screen shots from because i remember one group royaly f-up some of the names for several series.

Munsu
Sun, 07-04-2004, 01:47 AM
Just to add... Even if the final vowel is silent... it si not uncommon for the "u" in the middle of the words to remain silent or ommited...

So don't just take it for granted that the way you listen to the name it is the correct way to write it or to even pronounce it...

How do you say Smith Japanese? You spell it and even pronounce it as "Sumisu"...

My recommendation is to learn some Katakana, Hiragana, even Kanji and then tell us what you think you ignorant

?igma
Sun, 07-04-2004, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by: KonohamaruCorps
Arkard is a fansubbing mistake.

listen to me, I'm not making the mistake to point you at the translation, Im just making screens of the moment where they ----------->SAY, even SPELL <------------------------------------------

Arkard , ignore the translation goddamnit, and for the fucking tenth time, people saying that it is said as ARUCARD because of the L/R problem GO READ THIS TOPIC AGAIN..morons

And it is true that even the U can be omitted, but that is only in fluent speech, not in these screencaptured moments, if it would be Arucard, the at that time, they would pronounce it as such.

And now, clearly because noone took the opportunity to look at the moments I added above, GO LISTEN FOR YOURSELVES.

?igma
Sun, 07-04-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by: Death BOO Z
Besides, it's not about how it's prononuced, but about how it was meant to be...
the source for the name is Dracula spelled backwards - Alucard, the fact that the voice actors aren't capable of saying it right (the same way amrican dubs say the original names in a horrible way) doesn't have anything to do with it.

AL\Rucard isn't a japanese name, furthermore, it's a name with a meanning behined it, so, the meanning behined it has more importance than the way it's pronounce or the literal meanning...

more examples, to empthize this:
let's take Inuyasha's "Oswari", the meaning in japanese probably is "sit" or something, so in the english language, it became "sit boy", becuase that's how you tell you dog to sit still in the english langauge. however, if you translate it into a diffrenet langauge, that has a diffrent way of commanding dogs (hebrew, for instant), then the other word should be used, and not the translation for "sit", becuase it keeps the meanning more than using 'sit'. are you getting my point? if not, here's another example...

you have the "Itadaikimuste" thing in japanese, it litratly means "i'm about to eat" or something in the same field, but if you'd translate the anime into french, you won't say "Je Mange..{something-something, i've studied french for 4 years and i don't know shit}", instead, you'll say "bonnappittie" (I can't even spell it).

and the easiest example: when you have some english charecter names in anime, say... "Jack", the japanese seyius will say "jack-o", becuase the can't finish a word with 'ck', it doesn't mean that the charecter's name isn't jack, does it?

Do you understand? sometimes, there are factors more relevent than the exact pronocuation or the literal translation...

Edit: it's funny how you insist on following the Fansub version, while people are telling you that in both the manga (official english and scanlations) and the official DVDs, the spell it "ALUCARD"...

I'm not looking at the translation, Ive always thought it to be wrong, because they SAY, and again SAY, at all and ANY time, whether spelled, spat, or grumbled: ARKARD(O)
I know that common sense changes thing into things, and Alucard is EXACTLY one of the examples you give above, because europeans like it to be related to something they know from up close.

Lefty
Sun, 07-04-2004, 03:02 AM
Dude it's time to give up. It's nothing be ashamed or imbarised of. Fansubers are not the friggen bible on how to translate japanese. How much actual experience do you have with japanese. I listen to it almost every day from the anime I watch to songs I listen to, even when I'm at kendo. I have learned alot from just listening. Certain letter's are ommited or pronounced diffrently in how you say it out loud. I don't know why in the name of god you started this pointless thread anyway.

?igma
Sun, 07-04-2004, 03:54 AM
You dont get it, I undoubtly believe in that sub, whether you do or dont, does not make a difference to me, I just wanted to share this with you , so you could see the light. An awful name such as Alucard *shiver* could simply not excist and luckely, after watching it about 20 times now, I've simply confirmed that there is no way it could be translated as Alucard,.

That is just a popular misconception.

Munsu
Sun, 07-04-2004, 04:49 AM
What ever... your thought of popular misconception is simply "yag"

?igma
Sun, 07-04-2004, 04:56 AM
Well, I dont know waht is entering your avatars ass over there, but I think I'm not the only "Yag"here then i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Munsu
Sun, 07-04-2004, 05:07 AM
lol... good comeback... but nothing is coming in... it's just a fart you are smelling coming out....

here's the official website... the most official I could find:

http://hellsing.pioneeranimation.com/

They spell it Arucard... but with the l/r dilemma it can easilly be swithed... Most Japanese might pronounce it Arkard simply because it is in their costume to ommit the "u" and keep it silent... it is like they think pronouncing a "u" is a waste of time... but that doesnt take away from what the name actually is...

it's like the -masu ending it is simply pronounce -mas

?igma
Sun, 07-04-2004, 05:30 AM
which is not true, masu is often said, not as much as it is written, but still, you can here it being cut off, but its still there.
Besides: All things official are under rights of american of european ownership, meaning , the anime was sold and they can do with it whatever they want, if they would plan to replace conversation sub with practical joke sub, they could. The officials have simply been lead by the huge amount of fansubs that translated it as Alucard.

Munsu
Sun, 07-04-2004, 05:53 AM
What about this link... I think it covers pretty much what you are contending.. especially the comment they said on Katakana...

Try to disprove them...:

http://www.thehellsing.org/faq/

?igma
Sun, 07-04-2004, 06:55 AM
they arent proving anything, they are stating a possibility that cannot be disproven .. , but it doesnt say it is the absolute truth, they are marely referring to the manga as the nr1 source..the english manga even.

Because of the obvious Dracula references, it seems clear that Alucard was the intended name. Pioneer just spelled it wrong.
I didnt say it wasnt obvious that everyone took it this way..still. i havent seen alot of proof about it, Arkard can not possibly be _the_ Dracula, because Dracula was the one creating vampire armies (or so is the legend) Arkard doesnt seem to have any such ambition.
And it wouldnt be the first time that Japanese fuck up legends i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif (see Naruto)

Lefty
Sun, 07-04-2004, 02:08 PM
What legends in naruto are you refering to, like the nine tail's fox demon, well what that little tidbit was taken from was korean mythology and Jiraiya was a toad sage in japanese mythology that could summon giant toads that he would use in battle. Not all of naruto is japanese in origin if you actualy look around it's ASIAN MYTHOLOGY. And Budweineken is right about the pronuciation ALUCARD or ARUKARDO.

The key word for the producers of hellsing screwing up the dracula myhtology comes down artistic licsense. They can do what ever they damn well please with the concept to make it thier own. You need to know when you have been proven wrong and accept defeat LIKE A MAN AND NOT A LITTLE CHILD. Do some fu*&king research befor posting something like this little number of a topic. Because if your wrong your going to get SH*T from every for being this wrong and this stubborn. Have a nice day.

Shinji Ikari
Sun, 07-04-2004, 04:07 PM
Really, his name couldn't have been intended to be spelled as Arkard since it's literally impossible in the japanese alphabet to wright.

Arukarudo is the closest in that case. But we all know that isn't the intended name... Come on, please just give up. What do you want to prove? Fine, believe what you want, you've heard what the majority thinks in this matter, so leave it at that.

slowpoke
Fri, 07-09-2004, 01:29 AM
Hey
I got something for ya, a way to see his name for real. But understand that his english name is Alucard.

but his japanese name is pronounced 'aakaado'

Proof?
Here is some concept art (http://www.ferricorp.com/anime/hellsing/concept01.jpg)

check mate.

highbass
Sat, 07-10-2004, 04:31 PM
hellsing sucks!

Shinji Ikari
Sat, 07-10-2004, 06:33 PM
wow, well that's really mature.

HerioMortis
Sat, 07-10-2004, 09:55 PM
Man, have you ever seen Gungrave? (From the same dude that did Hellsing and Trigun). Anyways, there they randomly spell the main chars name (Brandon) correctly a few times in the intro, then they switch it to Blandon, then yet again switch it back, even tough his official name is Brandon they still wrote 'Blandon'. That seems simple enough to understand, there are two important things you should know here... 1, Think of what audience it's mainly aimed at... thats right the people of Japan. 2, Jap's aren't exactly known for their expertise in english and anime is no exception, can name a bunch of animes if you want proof or anything 8P

Ok now, doesnt it seem pretty logical that his name is Alucard? To name but one reason which is pretty simple enough to understand, what do you have for explanation at the end of ep13 Incognito says right before he's beaten to Alucard "Who are you really?" (or something like that)... that is when you see Alucards face shift into resembling another person... and guess who?? Well it's just your friendly neighbourhood Vlad Tepes! 8P And you know what they say "A picture says more than a thousand words", but the evidence should be clear enough 8P

Hope I straightened that out 8P