PDA

View Full Version : What does woot mean?

Foomanchew24
Fri, 07-02-2004, 12:03 AM
I have seen on several other forums that others use the expression woot! what exactly is it supposed to mean? And how about getting some black t shirts that say got woot? like the got milk shirts. I would be interested in a t-shirt and i would even pay to show my support. maybe under the got woot? there could be in smaller print the web adress.

Mut
Fri, 07-02-2004, 12:27 AM
isn't woot derivated from root? or something like that...

anyway, in counter-strike (that's where i first heard woot), woot is like "YEAH!" but in internet terms.

Assertn
Fri, 07-02-2004, 01:15 AM
ive been told that woot originated from "Doom"....where whenever you jumped, your character made a sound that sounded much like "woot"

therefore, everyone decided to turn it into a catch phrase

Terracosmo
Fri, 07-02-2004, 01:31 AM
It's short for We Orgasm Over Topics. Hence the forum.

Mut
Fri, 07-02-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by: Terracosmo
It's short for We Orgasm Over Topics. Hence the forum.

i can't tell if he is being serious or not but... if he is serious, then wow, i never thought it stood for that.

r3n
Fri, 07-02-2004, 03:04 AM
i thought all the "homeboyz" (black hip hop ppl who bounce their cars) said "woot woot". i dont live in american, so i have no idea if any1 actually says this i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

tensai
Fri, 07-02-2004, 03:10 AM
yeah, i thought that woot was some slang, and i remember people using back then
but i dont really know the origin of it

complich8
Fri, 07-02-2004, 03:27 AM
I think every person must arrive at the Truth of Woot (tm) in his own way. Nobody may be told what the w00t is. Only those who have seen it can understand it. But I can tell you what it is to me, and let you decide if it is that for you too.

Start with the exclamation "Yea" which comes from much older times than this century, where it was an affirmation of the event in question. So something good comes up in a vote, you vote "yea".

As "Yea" becomes more commonplace, it is brought out of the voting rooms and into the streets (well, fields) where it becomes "yay" and "yeah" for differing levels of happiness.

Now, you take "yay" and you add modern sarcasm to it, and you have "yey". But it doesn't end there. Modern sarcasm gives way to people who've grown accustomed to "yey" as a sincere remark (instead of sarcasm) and they had to tweak it differently to get the sarcastic edge back. So "yey" + new-age sarcasm + l33t culture = "w00t". w00t becomes an internet standard for any old celebratory thing, losing its sarcastic edge as well, and becomes simply "woot" and thus the Truth of Woot (tm) is born. w00t is still acceptable too, calling back to the root of woot.

It is not until spoken aloud and in all sincerity that woot becomes more than just "some funny word" though. Just be careful not to go too far, into the "saying lol to your real life friends in real life" zone, 'cause that's just pathetic.

Pyron
Fri, 07-02-2004, 04:13 AM
damn internet lingo haha

Mae
Fri, 07-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by: r3n
i thought all the "homeboyz" (black hip hop ppl who bounce their cars) said "woot woot". i dont live in american, so i have no idea if any1 actually says this i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Well, they used to..... white-boy wannabe's too.

Whoot is an 80's rap music thing, with a meaning kind of like woo-hoo. As in "Can I get a whoot, whoot?" "Whoot, whoot!" It's considered old-school now, and I haven't heard anyone use it for awhile. I guess it migrated to the internet and turned into w00t.

Does anyone remember the single by 95 south, "Whoot, there it is"? I remember it playing almost constantly on the radio one summer. Damn annoying song, too. And now, thanks to you all, I will have it in my head all day! ARRRRRGH!

Locke
Fri, 07-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Yeah, I remember it. I think it was Whoop though. Either way, it's been on the net for a while and it simply means "FUCK YEAH". My interpretation, although it's just basically a way of saying "YEAHHHHH!!!!"

Knives122
Fri, 07-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Ive never really thought about ti before, I quess what Terra said could be true

Gods_Son
Fri, 07-02-2004, 11:08 AM
I don't think it matters, you can find what woot means for yourself, since there obviously really isn't one definition for it. I have heard it in Doom though.

Assertn
Fri, 07-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by: Mae

Whoot is an 80's rap music thing, with a meaning kind of like woo-hoo. As in "Can I get a whoot, whoot?" "Whoot, whoot!" It's considered old-school now, and I haven't heard anyone use it for awhile. I guess it migrated to the internet and turned into w00t.

Does anyone remember the single by 95 south, "Whoot, there it is"? I remember it playing almost constantly on the radio one summer. Damn annoying song, too. And now, thanks to you all, I will have it in my head all day! ARRRRRGH!

you're thinking of "Can i get a what, what?"......which is the radio edit for something more profane than "what"......i dont really remember what it is, but im sure if you just throw some random swear word in for what, you'll get the same effect i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

chambers
Fri, 07-02-2004, 01:42 PM
its a derivitive of the word what. i thought everyone knew this as its afairly recent thing. its just taken from the whole hip-hop penomenom of the 90's and put into type. you can CLEARLY hear the prounciation when a 'gangsta' rapper says what and it comes out as woot. more recently the word what has be come a single word response to a farfetched statment. and not in the rhetorical question sense but rather in the more mocking sarcastic sense. think 'please' when said in a sarcastic response. eventually as the harshness of the sarcasam wears out (As it always does with new words) it becomes a cliche at wich point its meaning changes slightly and it becomes more of a posative response to a statment.

i did a whole essay on various words that have been changed by the internet or by other modern technology (mobile phones in particular) if anyones interested it could still be lying on a floppy somewhere.

Mut
Fri, 07-02-2004, 01:53 PM
ok, when you THINK rappers say 'woot' it's just a stretched out, hip way to say 'what.'

woot didn't come from hiphop/rap.

chambers
Fri, 07-02-2004, 02:02 PM
i never said it did. its one of the places it evloved from. nobody says woot because no matter how you say it its still interprited as what. you can only type woot. like pwn. you dont get the full scope of it unless its typed. again ill say that this is due to technology, such as the net an mobile phones.

Locke
Fri, 07-02-2004, 04:19 PM
Chambers - Incorrect. How many people here said it means what? You're the only one with that point of view on the word woot. Understand?

Foomanchew24
Fri, 07-02-2004, 04:33 PM
The woot i'm talking about has nothing to do with rappers. I always see it in computer forums and people who are familiar with technology, don't find many rappers in forums using the term. Also it seems to be used with an ! kinda like saying woo hoo but derived from some where else. THe doom thing kinda makes sense as i remember playing that and the guy did sound like he was saying woot when he jumped but i think it was probably around before that and also i've heard of the woot being derivated from root as in computer code so to me those seem to be the most likely.

Assertn
Fri, 07-02-2004, 04:44 PM
it makes sense to be doom....
since the word in itself is dominated by gamers of old

chambers
Fri, 07-02-2004, 05:27 PM
WTF are you guys talking about, ive TOLD you where it comes from, its like the word OWN as people use it on the web now comes form a terminology sports journos used. thats where PWN comes from. not from counterstrike where it picked up the typo. woot IS like saying woo hoo or whatever.

edit: he/shes right was a bit harsh. sorry.

Mae
Fri, 07-02-2004, 05:40 PM
Calmness, please.

The song IS called "Whoot, There It Is", although there is a "whoop, there it is" song as well. Please see this link (http://shopping.yahoo.com/p:Whoot%20There%20It%20Is%20[Single]:1921260516). I'm not sure if the word is derived from what or not. I've never heard it used in place of the word what before.

Edit: And I DID have that song in my head all day. DAMN. I am going to have to go listen to hack//sign OST for a while now, one of the few album that can DEFINATELY get anything else out of your head....

Edit to above: it's Mae-chan, not Mae-kun i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif

iminyourbrain
Fri, 07-02-2004, 06:19 PM
wow, thats an old song, from 1993

the earliest i remember hearing woot was when i was playing quake2 circa summer 1998. i thought it was a stupid phrase but i always got a laugh out of it.

someone railguns you from the elevator in dm1 "woot!!"

Stoopider
Sat, 07-03-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by: AssertnFailure
ive been told that woot originated from "Doom"....where whenever you jumped, your character made a sound that sounded much like "woot"

You can't jump in Doom.

Raven
Sat, 07-03-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by: Stoopider

Originally posted by: AssertnFailure

You can't jump in Doom.
That was exactly what I was thinking.

Anyway, I didn't think woot originated from anywhere but the internet. As far as I ever knew, it's just net-speak for whoo hoo. I know it's not an acronym like lol, but lol originated on the internet and I believe it's the same here. The net does have its own terms and woot is one of them.

Assertn
Sat, 07-03-2004, 12:13 PM
uh.....yes you can........
i was playing the game just a few months ago......

chambers
Sat, 07-03-2004, 01:28 PM
you cant jump in doom. you can fall. you cant jump.

Assertn
Sat, 07-03-2004, 04:25 PM
ugh.....you're gonna make me go pull out the emulated version.....arent you?

if it wasnt doom, then it was doom 2....close enough

Mut
Sat, 07-03-2004, 04:55 PM
i don't remember ANY doom having the jump feature. but then again, my memory isn't the best.

dragon
Sat, 07-03-2004, 05:03 PM
woot is a quick way to say "yea in ur face dumass"

Foomanchew24
Sat, 07-03-2004, 08:47 PM
I think i saw that the jump thing was from quake, not doom, my bad. As far as where w00t came from I googled it and there seems to be no difinitive answere.

Everon
Sat, 07-03-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah I did a quick google and came up with a couple hundred definitions from the Urbandictionary.com

I guess the two best definitions would probably "OH YEAH" (burst of joy/happiness) or the other "I've been connected to the server"

lol rofl stupid online l337 speek.

BurnHavoc
Sat, 07-03-2004, 11:10 PM
woohoo!
w00h00!
w00!
w00t!

Thats the evolution. I'm not going to go into fancy stories because thats how it came to be durring my time playing online. It predates most people ventures with the 'net, but it's meanings have been adapted in various ways.

Bottom line is it's an exclamation of excitment. That is and always will be the root definition of it.

GLS
Sun, 07-04-2004, 09:37 PM
w00t! pwnd! some of that IRC jibberish, whatever.

It's cool when people use it on these forums and chatrooms and stuff, but if u use it in real life conversations, you should be bitchitized hard & fast.
"Oh, I was j/k!"

Himura_san
Mon, 07-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Here's some answers google could provide regarding w00t.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=189002

http://www.plasticbag.org/archives/2002/12/the_history_of_woot_whoot_and_w00t.shtml

Assertn
Mon, 07-05-2004, 01:20 PM
yeah there you go, quake 3.......
i was told doom.....but close enough

Xollence
Mon, 07-05-2004, 01:52 PM
WOOT: Waste of Our Time
WOOT: We Owned the Other Team (gaming term; less common)
WOOT: Wonderful Loot (Everquest gaming slang; also seen as W00T)

Gods_Son
Mon, 07-05-2004, 02:19 PM
heh, somone actually looked woot up on google.

animefunkmaster
Wed, 07-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Woot or w00t is a general word used in an almost onomonopia way to describe joy or happiness, instead of screaming YEAH you just simply say w00t. I believe the term was coined by some 1337 wannabe back in the day, I dont believe it has any relation to rap or doom, but what does that matter? It is still just a great word. To check out how the word is used properly check out teen girl squad episode 2 (fwi: its a flash movie for all of you who dont know) from homestarrunner.com. Thats all&and Xollence puts it best: WOOT: Waste of Our Time&

w00t&is it a nonsensical word for happiness&or is it something else&something&darker&eviler&oh god I am afraid&someone hold me

-animefunkmaster

SK
Thu, 07-08-2004, 12:46 PM
well in all the games i have played, where ive seen it, woot means like everyone said YEAH! like say your playing and kill someone and it was a tough fight youd be like woot i beat so and so. or if u get good loot or some shit, atleast thats how ive seen it.

Knives122
Thu, 07-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by: -Sharingan-Kakashi-
well in all the games i have played, where ive seen it, woot means like everyone said YEAH! like say your playing and kill someone and it was a tough fight youd be like woot i beat so and so. or if u get good loot or some shit, atleast thats how ive seen it.

I thought you would say Hazzaa when that happened, like in Pirates of the Carribbean:COTBP

PSJ
Thu, 07-08-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by: Mae

haha i remember that song, its in the space jam movie(loony toons and mikeal jordani/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif)

but on the net woot means Hell yeah or just yeah.

wander-er
Thu, 07-08-2004, 04:23 PM
I believe it evolved from the word "root" - used by hackers who manage to gain access to a certain system "gaining root command" as in a linux world where the root directory is total admin control.

Himura_san
Thu, 07-08-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by: wander-er
I believe it evolved from the word "root" - used by hackers who manage to gain access to a certain system "gaining root command" as in a linux world where the root directory is total admin control.

Before Linux there was Unix, always remember that n00b. ;p

wander-er
Fri, 07-09-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by: Himura_san

Originally posted by: wander-er

Before Linux there was Unix, always remember that n00b. ;p

And before n00b there was proper english, so chill

animefunkmaster
Fri, 07-09-2004, 02:26 AM
so which came first w00t, n00bs, unix, or proper english??? oh and all thos songs you mentioned like "woot there it is" i am pretty sure it was supposed to be "woop there it is", something like that...

-animefunkmaster
AND BEFORE IT ALL was a giant error message that god control+alt+deleted in order to reboot the world

PSJ
Sat, 07-10-2004, 01:22 PM
it sounds lik woot there it is anyway... well the question has more or less been answered by now right?

highbass
Sat, 07-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by: tensai
yeah, i thought that woot was some slang, and i remember people using back then
but i dont really know the origin of it

HAHAHAH that is the funniest thing i ever heard.....

it was developed my internet gammers it basically another way of saying wicked!>.. except its uber l33t ...

for ex.

naruto kicked his ass.. woot!..

Solensean
Fri, 07-16-2004, 12:45 AM
Woot came from Everquest at first... Wonderful Loot...

Kn1ves
Fri, 07-16-2004, 05:53 AM
www.urbandictionary.com

Raven
Fri, 07-16-2004, 07:20 AM
Ok I think this thread has served its purpose.