PDA

View Full Version : Your ability at Japanese

woofcat
Tue, 06-29-2004, 11:40 PM
Are you mediocre at Japanese, decent or have no idea. I was just wondering becuse in other threads they were saying that most Naruto watchers were no good and Japanese.

I my self am no Japanese expert but i understand keywords and silly thinks like Ero-sennin and Chindori over Lightning Edge.

Darkflare
Tue, 06-29-2004, 11:46 PM
i just started a pimsleurs course that i "bought". thanks foomanchew i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif. but anyway, assuming that most people would start a series from the beginning, there would eventually be a point where the japanese words can be used instead of the translation

InnerSakuraChan
Tue, 06-29-2004, 11:52 PM
Shouldn't this be in general discussion?

Any way, I myself, have taken three years of Japanese - which is enough to a) understand what is going on in raw eps, though a lot of the grammar goes over my head. b) recognize different dialects and ways of speaking; c) with the aid of a dictionary, be able to translate raw manga a bit. d) read basic kanji.

Honestly, I finally understood most of the grammar concepts after hearing them used in anime.

i/expressions/musicnote.gif"tsukarimashoo, tsukarimashoo, sate, sate, naniga dekiru kana. hai! dekimashita!" i/expressions/musicnote.gif a song from azumanga daiyo (!!!), was a life saver on a couple of tests, when i had to write short paragraphs on tests - it has so many common verb forms in one little song . . . Thank you, Chiyo, from the bottom of my heart. i/expressions/heart.gif

kaigan
Wed, 06-30-2004, 01:45 AM
no fucking idea.

ORO?????!!!!

Stoopider
Wed, 06-30-2004, 03:22 AM
Lol @ InnerSakurachan.

I think my Japanese is good enough to eat at a restaurant. Point at the pictures and arigato arigato.

AngryGumball
Wed, 06-30-2004, 03:59 AM
dropped college Japanese one three times, due to my lack of study skills and kept falling behind as teh class progressed without, haven't gone back in 3-4 years to attempt my fourth failure. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

heh, so my pronunciation of words is getting way better on speaking the language while watching the dubs but my comprehension is still at basically zero.

does it count if you pick up that the translation has left out things? Like when you say to yourself wait I think they really said more I can read faster why didn'tthey include all that they said. Or why drop off some of the affectations, of words.

hopeknight
Wed, 06-30-2004, 04:13 AM
I have never taken any Japanese classes in my life. My sister has taken a several years of Japanese and I still correct her pronunciation. I find that through my many years of watching anime, I have developed a good ear for the language aswell as good pronunciation. I intend to learn Japanese in the future when I'm not too busy with my animation classes.

Kumiriko
Wed, 06-30-2004, 04:21 AM
I would love to have true training in japanes. but i was so bad at french they kicked me out of that class the thrid year. Most canadians go thought all those French classes. heck the town i live in is supposivly got a high concentation of french speaking people. WHy am i talking about french? because it is 5am and i am keeping myselg busy i guess. need sleep. But must learn japanes and go to japan and get lost

Board of Command
Wed, 06-30-2004, 08:44 AM
I got no idea, although some of the words do sound the same as Chinese.

Ryllharu
Wed, 06-30-2004, 08:52 AM
If I know any Japanese at all, I've learned it from anime. Shows that have serious repetition (like naruto, to give this topic some relavance for being in this section of the forums) make learning a few words really easy.

lasaire
Wed, 06-30-2004, 09:44 AM
I know I've picked up a fair amount of Japanese from watching anime, rather than practicing via by books and tapes. I'm hoping to go to Japan and become fluent via immersion later this year.

The_Fourth
Wed, 06-30-2004, 10:21 AM
Ive also learn most of my Japanese through animes. And my pronunciation is getting better.

tensai
Wed, 06-30-2004, 10:49 AM
i would say im inbetween decent to no idea, because i just started
i do understand the basics, and i actually borrowed a couple of books from my friend who already took a year of japanese
im gonna take japanese courses once the fall quarter begins though
right now im trying to learn the basics and try to write hiragana and katakana
i know all of hiragana and the vowels of katakana so far, but its useless unless i know more japanese vocabularyi/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif
kanji is gonna be hard, but im chinese and my parents know how to read/write it, so the translation is easy but saying it would be a different thing

Goingin
Wed, 06-30-2004, 12:50 PM
I didn't know any Japanese at all before i got into the world of Anime
The anime (and ofcourse the fansubbers!) teached me some japanese words and expressions

Gonna do a course in the basics of japanese soon, want to understand and speak it a bit to get along when i go to Japan next year i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Tofu #2
Wed, 06-30-2004, 12:57 PM
I just started the Pimsleurs course as well as a book that I bought. I can count.

r3n
Wed, 06-30-2004, 03:40 PM
ive done the first couple of lessons of pimsuleurs thingy

Shinji Ikari
Wed, 06-30-2004, 03:46 PM
I learn about 1 new word for every 5 episodes or so of an anime i watch. I've watched a lot of anime during this year and last year (when i got my ADSL), and i learn to see connections between words, but i can never really put my finger on what i have learned, i just understand it sometimes when i see it...

The first word i learned of japanese was sayonara (i think), and that was when i was a mere child... I don't even know from where i did learn it, i just understood the word without even having any direct connection with anything to do with japanese at such a young age.

The first word i learned from anime was baka which was used very very much in Sailor Moon i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif And now, the more i learn, the faster i learn because i easier can make connections between words now... But this doesn't mean that i've practically learned how to speak japanese, i'm mearly at the beginning of my learning. Some day i will be able to speak, type and understand japanese i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

Aeon
Wed, 06-30-2004, 08:27 PM
The only words I know are from anime and they are the simple things like sorry and the phrase they say before they eat.

Sensei Jon
Wed, 06-30-2004, 08:51 PM
Same for me as well. I only know Japanese from the animes I watch so I know only a few words or phrases, but I would love to learn the entire language.

woofcat
Wed, 06-30-2004, 09:17 PM
Therefore ANBU&AONE can place the Japanese words at the bottom and english at the top. All in favor say "I"

Uchiha Barles
Thu, 07-01-2004, 01:54 AM
I know enough japanese to say "I understand japanese a little." in japanese. I was planning on learning japanese this summer, but other projects are taking precedence right now. So I guess watching raw eps are going to have to wait a little.

Darako
Fri, 07-02-2004, 04:41 AM
My Japanese is fairly good. I'm only 16 so I'm not studying yet or anything. I just learned it by myself from books with grammar and the kana in them, watching raw anime and reading manga really helps for pronounciation and ways of saying things. It's a bit hard 'cause my English is not very good and I have to learn it from English, that's the only language they learn it from, there's absolutely no book in Holland with Dutch<->Japanese.

Pyron
Fri, 07-02-2004, 09:14 PM
nanniiii??

Sharigan_User
Fri, 07-02-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by: The_Fourth
Ive also learn most of my Japanese through animes. And my pronunciation is getting better.

And like Goingin said

I didn't know any Japanese at all before i got into the world of Anime

Thats when I started to bother to learn Japanese. I always wanted too though, but sometimes, you miss some things becuz you're too busy reading the subtitles. I know most common words that I can understand without readding the subtitles, like why, what, thanks, and some sentences, like are you ok, or i understand. But when it comes to words that you wouldn't use in everyday chit-chat, then im clueless. But sometimes, i can pick up a few words.

Himura_san
Sat, 07-03-2004, 12:17 AM
nihongo hanashimasen.

ohpeekaboo
Sat, 07-03-2004, 12:24 AM
cute response himura_san, really 0_o

basically know enough to read manga as long as i have my trusty electronic jap dictionary for kanji reference (thank god they provide the readings!)

Fei
Sun, 07-04-2004, 02:12 AM
I have picked up quite a few simple phrases from anime but most of what I have learned has come from looking at song lyrics.

Krbadass
Sun, 07-04-2004, 02:13 AM
Moved to general discussion.

Lefty
Sun, 07-04-2004, 03:34 AM
I took a Japnaes class at my collage. The teacher was really surprised at my propniceation and inflection with words. When he found out I watched alot of anime he laugh, later he said alot of the good americain students in his class watched alot of anime before taking the class. But I've forgeten most of what I've learned except how to say "Kore wa nan desu ka?" " Sore wa hon desu" and stuff like that. but I want to learn Japanese so I can go to Japan and train at a few Kando dojo's, and to be able to watch import anime and read import manga.

Himura_san
Mon, 07-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by: ohpeekaboo
cute response himura_san, really 0_o

I aim to please! i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif

Tofu #2
Tue, 07-06-2004, 04:11 PM
i can say one phrase, Basu wa doko desu ka?

PSJ
Tue, 07-06-2004, 06:14 PM
i dont know much at all. i know some words.

Uzumaki Naruto
Thu, 07-08-2004, 04:26 PM
im learning right now, but i really hate readin but i plan on going to japan sometimes next year when i graduate from skewl but id say that im stilla beginnner at japanese only know some of the words not that much though